PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

Talic
2008-02-01, 06:57 AM
Suppose I created 3 spells. All three were exactly like slay living, except that they only function on creatures of a specific type, and were one level lower.

The first spell, Slay Giant, only functioned on Giants.
The second, Slay Undead, only functioned on Undead.
The third, Slay Outsider, only functioned on Outsiders.

Now, I need to target a Vampire Hill Giant with 20 levels of Monk. Which spells will work?

Only Slay Outsider, because of the Monk's Perfect self class ability?

Or Would Slay undead also work?
Since Undead also grants an Augmented type of the base creature, the vampire makes him Undead (Augmented Giant). Would Slay giant still work, based on that?

Kristoss
2008-02-01, 07:16 AM
Perfect Self

At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects...

By the rules of perfect self I would say that in this case the outsider type supersedes the others. Use slay outsider.

Hazkali
2008-02-01, 07:19 AM
Hmm...I'm not sure. We either have the case that he remains all three, or else one of his potential types "trumps" the other.

My personal view is that Outsider (Native) would trump both the Undead and Giant types; he's gone beyond both his birth form, beyond undead into a living manifestation of dark ki. However, I am free to admit that I have utterly no idea about what the RAW say on this subject.

Nebo_
2008-02-01, 07:21 AM
The type is undead. That's all you need to check for.

Starsinger
2008-02-01, 07:32 AM
By the rules of perfect self I would say that in this case the outsider type supersedes the others. Use slay outsider.

No.. read Perfect Self. "She is forever treated as an outsider, rather than a humanoid..." So it does no good for non-humanoids.

Undead tops the other types, so use Slay Undead.

Serpentine
2008-02-01, 07:36 AM
I would say, which did he become last? The monk ability says "She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was)". So, assuming he was born a giant, monk supercedes that. But was he a vampire before or after he became an outsider? I believe - but honestly don't have any real idea - that Vampire says something along the lines of "the creature's type changes to Undead". If so, then it depends which came last.

Talic
2008-02-01, 07:36 AM
No.. read Perfect Self. "She is forever treated as an outsider, rather than a humanoid..." So it does no good for non-humanoids.

Then exchange Hill Giant with Human, and Slay Giant with Slay Human.

Serpentine
2008-02-01, 07:37 AM
No, it still works, anyway - read the brackets in that quote.

Kristoss
2008-02-01, 07:41 AM

Um, read it again it says
"She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was)"

so it doesn't matter what the type was before.

Starsinger
2008-02-01, 07:47 AM
Um, read it again it says
"She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was)"

so it doesn't matter what the type was before.

Hrm.. well then, I stand corrected. Assuming Slay Outsider is the correct spell, it won't matter, because it doesn't specifically target undead, or work on objects, so the undead/giant/monk would be immune to it (assuming it allows a fortitude save).