PDA

View Full Version : CR modifiers

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-01, 09:10 AM
Awhile back I saw someone saying something about -3 for not being in a group...

I couldn't find ANYTHING on this in the srd other than "CR is the average level of the group for which this monster would be an adequate challenge."

Are there any circumstances where CR changes? If so, what are they and where can I find them?

Kioran
2008-02-01, 09:39 AM
Awhile back I saw someone saying something about -3 for not being in a group...

I couldn't find ANYTHING on this in the srd other than "CR is the average level of the group for which this monster would be an adequate challenge."

Are there any circumstances where CR changes? If so, what are they and where can I find them?

CR increases by 2 for doubling the enemy numbers or halving the number of PCs. Increases of about 40% (or 50, no sense in getting stingy) increase CR by +1. Note that increases based on the number of PCs do not figure into the exp. awards(since they are divided by the number of PCs already).

A single PC fighting an Ogre would face a Challenge equivalent to a CR of 7, and would get the EXP a party of his ECL would get for the CR 3 challenge - but all of it. Facing two Ogres, that would be a CR 9 equivalent fight, and twice the exp. from before.

Favorable conditions add or lower the CR by 1:
- Fighting a bunch of Steam mephits near an active Geyser they can use for cover or to regenerate increases their CR by 1
- A group of Sahuagin in a shallow pool and broad ledges the PCs can use to hurl death down in them is probably CR -1

These are the most common offenders, and I´ve probably been ninja´d

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-01, 09:46 AM
I seem to also recall something about groups of four... that is, some creatures lose CR for being alone.

Kioran
2008-02-01, 10:17 AM
I seem to also recall something about groups of four... that is, some creatures lose CR for being alone.

All CRs are set for a group of 4 PCs but a single Monster - allthough there is such a thing as a Goblin with it´s CR of 1/3 , which makes it easier to use them in groups of 3......