PDA

View Full Version : Help for my build plz

Airenus
2008-02-01, 11:28 AM
In our newest game our Dm decided we go epic. All start 22 level!
Iam thinking of 4 battle sorcerer, 1 fighter, 7 spellsword, 5 occult slayer, 5 abjurant champion. Can anyone help me about what prestige should i go next? or propositions for any changes are welcome. (I want to grow on spellcasting levels but still be good for melle). Any ideas are welcome thx.

Shishnarfne
2008-02-01, 12:39 PM
It looks like you've got a fair bit of the basics covered... More levels of battle sorc probably wouldn't hurt (Eldritch Knight probably isn't enough different to warrant adding it, though the prereqs are quite easy by this point).

The big thing to remember is that in epic, class BAB and save bonuses no longer matter (only epic progression), so a class only gives a few things: HP (small impact by epic levels), skills (your call), caster levels (which can be HUGE, even if your DM forbids Epic Spellcasting, which is a good idea), and class abilities.

Actually, I'd suggest focusing on PrC's that continue to boost casting (or more battle sorc if you don't find many you like) as well as giving abilities that you think will benefit your character idea. Or for purely boosting melee, some way of gaining Pounce and/or Dervish may be a decent idea...

Unfortunately, I don't know my completes well enough to give more helpful suggestions, so I'll wait for those with more ideas...

Nebo_
2008-02-01, 09:22 PM
Battle Sorcerer is a trap. Sorcerer 4/Paladin 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 9. Take lots of turning related feats.

Zincorium
2008-02-01, 09:33 PM
Battle Sorcerer is a trap. Sorcerer 4/Paladin 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 9. Take lots of turning related feats.

Not necessarily a trap, it doesn't compete well against wizard for Gishes that rely on a variety of spells, but with the medium BAB and ability to cast in armor it's outstanding for builds that rely on a smaller number of known spells or those that are sacrificing casting ability anyway.

A decent fighting (if not casting) build:

Ftr 1/Battle sorceror 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant champion 5/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 9

You lose 5 caster levels total, and one point of base attack bonus. With the abjurant champion and swiftblade class features, the only spells you really need are shield and haste.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-02, 02:02 AM
It looks like you want a gish so:

Battle Sorcerer -6, Swift Blade - 9, Abjurant Champion -5, +2 PRCs to taste*

*I prefer Archmage particularly with the Arcane Disciple Luck domain for No Experience Arcane Miracles as spell like abilities 2/day with High Arcana or a level of Thaumaturgist -1 with the Summoning domain (Lesser Planar Ally and Planar Ally so can call Noble Djinni or Efreeti for Wishes with Planar Ally) (Need a Wisdom - 13 with a +6 Periapt for the level 9 bonus domain spell treated as a arcane spell but casting based on Wisdom and another PRC to personal taste. Thaumaturgist is mainly nice for reducing the costs of the Genie or other outsider services.

For a Gish with access to level 9 spells a single level dip into Warblade or Swordsage at L21 at the cost of a level of spellcasting might be worth it since the PC will have an Initiator level of 11 so could pick up to level 6 manuevers if enough prerequisite lower level maneuvers are known (Warblade has the better recovery but Swordsage gets more known maneuvers (With those extra feats a few maneuvers could already be known or an extra one picked up at L21)).

At L22 Spellcasting as a Battle Sorcerer - 19 (20 with a Kobold who has undertaken the ritual) with No ASF in light armor and +18 BAB with simple weapons and a single hand held weapon.

Swift Blade only requires Dodge, Mobility, +3 BAB and being able to cast Haste.

Abjurant Champion only requires +5 BAB, Cmbt Casting, 1st level spellcasting that includes at least one abjuration spell andbeing profiecient with a single martial weapon.

Lots of feats for customizing or other PRCs.

See if the DM will let you add on a +2 LA template already paid down. Something like Half Fey or Phenic is nice particularly with the Magic in the Blood feat from FRCS.

Going Stalwart Battle Sorcerer would gain the PC +12 hit points at the cost of a level 9 known spell so it depends on the game if it is worth it or not.

Airenus
2008-02-02, 08:03 AM
I could not help to notice that almost noone agree with my occult slayer choice. In my mind the concept of this character is a almost lunatic antimage who spent his whole life learning techniks of how to kill wizards. He hates magic but love it (in his own way) the same time. I have feats for perfect counterspells, to double my oc.slayer spell return uses. I also think of getting leap attack. SO When a difficult melle fight begins i cast true strike give all +20 to leap attack and make a charge with + 40. This combined withhigh strength ,spellstoring, arcane strice and abjurant champion abilities gives a hell lot of damage! I think of taking 1lvl of a spellcasting prestige and the becoming an archmage. An archmage who despises magic and the only way of him exercising it is to learn how to completely control it! How does that sound for the rp ?:smallbiggrin:

Airenus
2008-02-02, 08:06 AM
By the way the swiftblade idea is really awesome! Ill seriously consider it.

Zincorium
2008-02-02, 08:22 AM
How does that sound for the rp ?:smallbiggrin:

Confused, angsty, and overly complicated.

That said, it's certainly not the worst I've seen, and it could be fun to play. However, taking occult slayer or archmage isn't good mechanically, and the actual character traits (hates magic, etc) are perfectly playable without taking a single level in something that isn't going to help.

Playing a Gish (the slang term for what your character is) is kind of hard anyway, since you have multiple goals to be accomplished with the same resources everyone else is throwing at just one. So go for the good choices, you can always scale back in game if you're mismatched with the other players.

Airenus
2008-02-03, 03:42 PM
i have decided to go 4 battle sorc, 1 fighter, 1 spellsword, 5 abjurant champion, 5 occult slayer, 6 swiftblade. thx all for your help!

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-03, 09:19 PM
i have decided to go 4 battle sorc, 1 fighter, 1 spellsword, 5 abjurant champion, 5 occult slayer, 6 swiftblade. thx all for your help!

Sounds like fun. Don't forget if you take F-1 at first level you get +2 extra hit points.