PDA

View Full Version : why do they need a fake Roy?

d'Bwobsling
2008-02-01, 07:09 PM
Belkar's mark of justice is activated when he is farther than one mile of Roy, so they still need the real Roy's corps for Belkar to go anywhere. Why would the drag the fake one around?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-01, 07:11 PM
At what point is Roy's body a fake? I'm kind of confused. There is one body, shown at different stages of decomposition, and one ghost looking for a way to communicate with his second in command.

d'Bwobsling
2008-02-01, 07:14 PM
At what point is Roy's body a fake? I'm kind of confused. There is one body, shown at different stages of decomposition, and one ghost looking for a way to communicate with his second in command.

Roy noticed that his body smelled like pine, and it had a tag on it. Since the rotting corps stinks so much they certainly wouldn't have it around in their HQ if they didn't need to

The Extinguisher
2008-02-01, 07:18 PM
Because that was the past.

About how they got the air freshener.

andrewas
2008-02-01, 07:19 PM
The 'tag' is the air freshener +5 they are discussing in the flashback panel at the end.

Chronos
2008-02-01, 07:23 PM
In case it's not absolutely clear, a timeline:

1: Roy died.
2: Haley and Belkar got stranded in Azure City, and started the Resistance. They're lugging Roy's body around.
3: Roy's body starts to stink.
4: Since Haley and Belkar still need to lug the body around, the stink is getting very bothersome.
5: To counteract the stink, the top members of the Resistance make a plan to steal a magical air freshener.
6: The air freshener works.
7: Roy's body rots away even more, to a mere skeleton.
8: The air freshener still works, so the skeleton smells like pine.
9: Roy's ghost comes down, and finds the skeleton with the air freshener on it.

Spiryt
2008-02-01, 07:24 PM
Maybe OP was joking?

Anyway, my head hurts.

teratorn
2008-02-01, 07:55 PM
Maybe OP was joking?

Probably he didn't understand the last panel was a flash-back.

Niknokitueu
2008-02-01, 11:21 PM
Well, it was missing a 'previously in the resistance'-type heading...:smallbiggrin:
(or the wavy-edged walls indicating a 'memory'/flashback episode were missing)
Maybe he just didn't pick up on the fact that there is only one 'Roy' corpse, so seeing one in an earlier stage of decomposition would indicate that it was a flashback?
Or the fact that the pine tree car-freshner that was attached to Roy's very decomposed body was the same as the little green tree indicated in the plan back when Roy was less decomposed, but very smelly?

Who knows. I bet he does now, though... :smallredface:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

VetMichael
2008-02-01, 11:42 PM
Simple: for the fake Belkar's fake MOJ

fake

Regneva
2008-02-02, 01:28 AM
How does attaching a "tag" make something fake? Its not like redcloaks amulets of discerning or anything...

teratorn
2008-02-02, 01:35 AM
Who knows. I bet he does now, though... :smallredface:

Lack of coffee I guess, I know I've missed stuff even more obvious before I had my early morning dosage. :smallfrown:

Kai Maera
2008-02-02, 02:28 AM
Is it possible that he might be of a different language group and thus have translation issues?

tenguro
2008-02-02, 03:03 AM
Also in the last panel it showed Isamul , who just got energy drained.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-02, 03:19 AM
Is it possible that he might be of a different language group and thus have translation issues?

Being from the elemental plane of ooze, I'm sure English must be difficult for him.

Kimpire
2008-02-03, 02:07 AM

I had the same problem. When reading it, I said to myself, "What? This is a fake Roy? What's going on here?" Then I reread it about five or six times until I realized the last panel's a flashback.

There should've been a "two months earlier" sorta thing.

NerfTW
2008-02-03, 10:08 AM
It took me a second to follow as well.

Schnitzel
2008-02-03, 10:16 AM
This should have been quite obvious, considering:
1. Isamu is still alive,
2. Haley still in her brown leather armor, and not her black outfit,
3. And they are planning the mission to find the Air Freshener (why would they need another one?)

Bluelantern
2008-02-03, 10:32 AM
1. Isamu is still alive,
3. And they are planning the mission to find the Air Freshener (why would they need another one?)

Exactly, I understand it in a second.

SPoD
2008-02-04, 01:42 PM
1. Isamu is still alive,

Also, Niu's hair is shorter in the flashback, presumably because it grew out from the "standard" female soldier haircut to her current long hair over the course of the three months.

So yeah, the last panel is pretty obviously a flashback to some point within the three month gap, explaining the answer to Roy's question of where did they get an air freshener.

SoD
2008-02-06, 02:08 PM
I also understood it instantly, and the thought hadn't occured to me until reading this...I guess I can semi-sort of understand the difficulty...ish.

shylocxs
2008-02-06, 02:25 PM
No, no, no... you're all wrong. See, it really is a fake Roy, because it's moldy and dirty and yucky. And it's a fake Belkar, because the real Belkar is actually in love with Haley. And it's a fake Haley, because she's actually in love with Mr. Scruffy. Who is trying to take over the world with Elan. Who's not the evil twin brother of Nale, but you already knew that. And Miko is controlling everything, and isn't dead... and... and...

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-06, 08:52 PM
.........and is really Xykon who unknowingly employed Redcloak whom is really Elan who wants to use the goblin army to recreate Thriller on a massive scale.

Voyager_I
2008-02-06, 11:23 PM
....who are all Thog's cousin/sister/mother.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-07, 01:23 AM
....who are all Thog's cousin/sister/mother.

All at once?! Does OotS take place in Arkansas?