PDA

View Full Version : Three Weapon Fighting

Innis Cabal
2008-02-01, 09:07 PM
Three Weapon Fighting[General]Through training and dedication, you have learned to hold a juggle or hold a third weapon, striking opponents with a third attack.
Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Benefits: You gain a third attack, gaining a second free attack a round, though this attack is very difficult to pull of as you hold the weapon in a strange location or juggle the third weapon with your second, suffering a -4 attack penalty with your primary and off hand weapon, on top of the penalty for two weapon fighting, and a -10 with the third weapon. The third weapon must be a light weapon.
Normal: A Character can not attack with a third weapon.
Special: A fighter may selectThree Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Improved Three Weapon Fighting[General]
You have become more adept at striking with your third weapon while in combat, giving you a better edge in combat
Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Three Weapon Fighting
Benefits: Your attack with your third weapon, as well as your primary and off hand weapon penalties decrease. Your primary and off hand weapon penalty is now -2, while your third weapon becomes a -5.
Normal: Your primary and off hand take suffer a -4 attack penalty, while your third weapon suffers a -10 penalty on attack rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Three Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Ascension
2008-02-01, 09:14 PM
Are we talking weapon-between-teeth here? Foot-wielding? It sounds like a seriously awkward idea... though I guess it'd be kinda awesome if you gave it to a tiefling or Yuan-Ti character for tail-wielding action... :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-01, 09:28 PM
I remember seeing something alot like this a while ago.

It's a cool idea, but not likely to be used much. The too hit penalties are way too large to be useful in a party, which is not a problem with these feats in particular, but the entire Two-Weapon Fighting tree, which this is part of. As well, it adds yet more feats to the already considerable feat drain Two-Weapon Fighting inflicts upon its practicioners.

Nonetheless, the idea of a duellist with two rapiers and a dagger held between the teeth is appealing, as is the knife juggler...

Innis Cabal
2008-02-01, 09:29 PM
anywhere a person could possibly weild a third weapon. In your teeth, with your foot/tail, juggling daggers or the like

SuperBelkar
2008-02-01, 09:35 PM
Are we talking weapon-between-teeth here? Foot-wielding? It sounds like a seriously awkward idea... though I guess it'd be kinda awesome if you gave it to a tiefling or Yuan-Ti character for tail-wielding action... :smalltongue: ya, that would funny:smallsmile:

SuperBelkar
2008-02-01, 09:41 PM
anywhere a person could possibly weild a third weapon. In your teeth, with your foot/tail, juggling daggers or the like true but dont u have to pick the right monster:smallconfused:

Cieyrin
2008-02-02, 02:40 AM
yay, i can make Zolo now, 'cept the 3rd weapon has to be light...
Could I use Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting to use a one-handed weapon for my third weapon?

Innis Cabal
2008-02-02, 02:42 AM
i dont see why that wouldnt work

ronnyfire
2008-02-02, 03:18 AM
i picture someone tossing a weapon into the air, stabing with one hand, pivoting into a slash with the other while letting go of the one impailed in the opponent, grab the tossed one and finish the combo.

verry.. fantacy?

use your opponent as a weapon holder.

merrja666
2008-02-02, 08:03 AM
Couldn't this be used with Braid Blades and suchlike?

Ethrael
2008-02-02, 08:17 AM
I too think the penalties all together are way to large to make much of a difference, especially with a light weapon. But the image of a tailed creature juggling swords and/or daggers whilst smiling menacingly is just to cool to block out :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2008-02-02, 02:34 PM
Oooh, yeah, I can see some juggler in a circus juggling three knives then attacking with all of them.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-02, 03:43 PM
I think its one of those feats where the specifics (i.e. how the third weapon is used) is up to the player/DM.

Cieyrin
2008-02-03, 01:25 AM
Yay, Zolo shall live as a Fighter/Tempest w/ 3 Masterwork Bastard Swords (i.e. Katanas)! Thanks so much!! ^_^

kirbsys
2008-02-03, 01:38 AM
I would make it so that you MUST use a two sided weapon as the second weapon, otherwise it seems that it is completely unfeasable (I play Amtgard so I mean even in a fantasy typ of fight...) but then again, DnD is supposed to have that kinda cinematic thing...

Blackadder
2008-02-03, 02:04 AM
The feet requires a tail or being Roronoa(One Piece) for those who don't know, Zoro dual-wields two Katana's and holds a third clenched between his teeth. From his visual fighting style the third blade is mostly for blocking or attacking in concert with the other two in giant stereotypical anime moves.

Here's a quick suggestion list
Possible third attacks
1. Tail Blade
2. The Roronoa method(Hilt of weapon in teeth)
3. Boot-Knife(See Trigun)
4. Using quick-draw to throw a knife even as you stab them with the daggers in your hands
5. Some armor, IE a spike on your Helmet
6. Making un-armed attacks with an existing two weapon kick
IE Your using a staff, you hit with both ends of the staff, spin around and kick someone but wait! can't do that in D&D in the same round, well you can now!

The third attack makes most sense in the Tail-blade, Boot-Knife, Armor or un-armed attack methods. Everything else... well....

Innis Cabal
2008-02-03, 02:06 AM
its meant to be open ended....its just a third attack. The fear was made in mind for a juggler, but yes Zolo can work, so can two swords and a boot dagger, or any of things options really. And how is three one handed light weapons unbeleivable?

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-03, 06:58 PM
Oversized Three Weapon Fighting
You've grown much stronger since starting your three-weapon fighting career.
Prerequisites: Strength 13, Dexterity 13, Three Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting.
Benefit: You can wield a third one-handed weapon as if it were a light weapon.
Normal: You cannot wield a one-handed weapon as a third weapon.
Special: A fighter may take this feat as a bonus feat.
Joke: Masterwork Bastard Swords gain a +1 attack and damage bonus with this feat.

Now it's not unbelievable as there's a feat for it :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2008-02-03, 08:39 PM
maybe i should make a PrC for this......

mabriss lethe
2008-02-03, 09:07 PM
here's another idea. I was thinking of something like it before I saw blackadder's post. He just helped me refine it a little more.

Underhand Throw [general](for lack of a better name right now.)

You make an extra attack by throwing your offhand weapon.

Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved two weapon fighting, quick draw

Benefit: You gain an additional attack at your lowest base attack bonus. This attack is always in the form of a thrown weapon attack and comes as the last attack made in a round. The throw must me made with your offhand using a light weapon with a range increment. (only half strength)

Special: Characters with the throw anything feat can throw any light weapon they have in their offhand.

Worthy of note: You will be losing a weapon at the end of every round if you aren't careful. stock up on daggers.

streakster
2008-02-03, 09:59 PM
Someone's been reading Gold Digger....

TheEscapist
2008-02-03, 10:20 PM
I really like your idea, but I think the attack roll penalties are far too high to make the feat even usable. I adjusted the numbers, but it's possible I made the penalties too low. I propose the following rewrite, with adjusted wording to match the tone of the PHB and adjusted flavor text because I just like writing stuff: :smallsmile:

Three-Weapon Fighting[General]
Through training and dedication, you have learned to wield a third weapon effectively in the midst of combat. Perhaps this is accomplished by juggling the three weapons, following up two attacks with a devastating kick or headbutt, or even by holding the weapon between your teeth, toes, or a prehensile tail.
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefits: You gain an extra attack each round in addition to the extra attacks gained from the two-weapon fighting feat and the improved two-weapon fighting feat. You suffer an additional -2 attack penalty with your primary and off hand weapons, -4 with the third weapon. This brings the total penalties from two-weapon fighting and three-weapon fighting to -4 with your primary and off hands, -6 with your third weapon, and -9 with your second primary and off-hand attacks. This extra attack must be made with a light weapon and only adds half of your Str bonus to damage.
Normal: A character cannot attack with a third weapon.
Special: A fighter may select Three-Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Whaddaya think, sirs?

Cieyrin
2008-02-04, 01:33 AM
Because people keep asking about using a weapon w/ their tails, we have a feat that does what's being asked, if we take a step into the way back machine and look at the interesting mental exercise that was Savage Species. This feat was Prehensile Tail, requiring Strength 13, tail attack and Two-Weapon Fighting. You effectively get a third hand, allowing the Multiweapon Fighting tree. Just putting it out there for those fortunate enough to have a copy on hand.

As for the Three-Weapon penalties, TheEscapist, I think it's far too easy to use the 3rd weapon. They get the penalties of having both the original feats, which I think is far too easy to do. However, I do think the penalties are reasonable for the primary and secondaries. Thus, the penalties i'd put on the 1st feat would be an additional -2 for primary and secondary and -6 on the tertiary, for a total of -4 and -8, respectively. Improved should reduce by half, as Innis Cabal originally had, which will reduce the penalties to -1 and -3, creating a total of -3 and -5, respectively. That seems to be reasonable to me, with the amount of training a character would have to put in.