PDA

View Full Version : Comedy Campaign

Grug
2008-02-01, 09:35 PM
Anyone thinking of running a comedy campaign? I remember a successful one I ran with my friends that took them from 1st to 7th level. If anyone's interested I'll be glad to share.

In the mean time, what can you do to make your game Funny without turning into a total nut-fest?

One thing I found is to make the NPCs act like normal people, but a bit beyond normal. The first NPC the players meet is Mr. Quack, who asks them to retrieve his family heirloom in an overly dramatic fashion. Or make them act normally, but give them bizarre surroundings, like Mr. Bob McJelly, who runs the general store where everything comes out on a conveyor belt from "The back"

Every little thing adds up. A single hair can tickle.

VanBuren
2008-02-01, 10:02 PM
Your signature implies that you read Pratchett. That should be the compendium of everything you need.

Here's an idea. Give your NPCs irrational beliefs and/or fears. Like a shopkeeper who actually believes that nothing exists outside of his shop.

"Yeah. You're going to take this +1 Sword of mine for X gold and kill the "dragon" that lives "in the caves", right? Whatever, wiseass. Just gimme the money."

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-01, 10:05 PM
Here's an idea. Give your NPCs irrational beliefs and/or fears. Like a shopkeeper who actually believes that nothing exists outside of his shop.

"Yeah. You're going to take this +1 Sword of mine for X gold and kill the "dragon" that lives "in the caves", right? Whatever, wiseass. Just gimme the money."

That's a pretty good idea! I need to use that in one of my campaigns. To bad there are people like that in real life like this one guy who has never left the county in his entire life. And this is in Indiana in the largest pork producing county....yeah, there's hardly anything there and you can walk from one end of the county to the other in a day. That's just said, but works great for a shopkeep!!!

Grug
2008-02-01, 10:41 PM
Actually I try not to make my style like Pratchett's. Mine's a bit more goofy. That's a good one.

Here's another tip: Superimpose real world events and customs like Iron Chef, home shopping network, and frat parties into your game by tagging them with Undead or Ancient entities. I ended up using all three!

Fishy
2008-02-01, 11:21 PM
... by tagging them with Undead or Ancient entities...

You burst into the sacrifice room, but too late- The artifact lies in pieces on the floor, and the final seal is broken. You can only watch, helpless, as the portal opens, as the ancient and incomprehensible intelligence on the other side casts its thousand-eyed gaze on the shivering and awestruck cultist.

The dark runes around the altar pulse with life, and a seven-fingered hand forms in the air, as insubstantial and unstoppable as the fabric of Night. It descends, placing a single massive finger on the cultist's brow, and the chamber resonates with a single word- a word that rings in your mind in a thousand dead and dying languages-

"TAG."

The portal closes.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-01, 11:46 PM
http://www.sigilprep.com. Read this. All of it.

Yes, two Sigil Prep plugs in a 24 hour period. Happy birthday, Captain.

kjones
2008-02-02, 12:03 AM
The most important thing is not to force things. My friend is running a humorous d20 modern game - when it's funny, it's good, but sometimes he doesn't realize when to just let something die.

Subtle humor is the best kind. RIght now, we're on a quest to defeat Rick Astley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)... kind of funny, but it's not quite as funny when we actually have to orient our actions around doing so. A "funny-once" sort of thing.

Grug
2008-02-02, 04:15 PM
Send him my way.