PDA

View Full Version : Blind Characters

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-01, 10:33 PM
It's a cliche and all, but when you read Dune Messiah, and play Guilty Gear and Soul Caliber it seems like not that much of a stretch.

Any ideas on how to make them viable? I assume they'd get blind-fight and uncanny dodge (and/or scent?) as bonus feats and ranged combat would be out of the question. I'm sure someone has drawn up something about this before.

BRC
2008-02-01, 10:35 PM
Make him a wizard or sorceror, give him improved familiar so he gets a mephit or somthing, and have it sit on his head and steer him, then he focuses on spells that are bursts centered on him.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-01, 10:35 PM
There's a 3.0 monk prestige class called the Blind Master. Also, isn't there a blindfold that grants blindsight 60?Plus, you get to look like :smallcool: .

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-01, 10:51 PM
IAny ideas on how to make them viable? I assume they'd get blind-fight and uncanny dodge (and/or scent?) as bonus feats and ranged combat would be out of the question. I'm sure someone has drawn up something about this before.

Actually with Hear the Unseen and a number of other listen-based feats ranged combat isn't as hard as you would think. Also, I'd probably allow blindness to give you a bonus to Move Silently checks, but a penalty to Hide unless you get Hide in Plain Sight.

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-01, 10:59 PM
Actually with Hear the Unseen and a number of other listen-based feats ranged combat isn't as hard as you would think. Also, I'd probably allow blindness to give you a bonus to Move Silently checks, but a penalty to Hide unless you get Hide in Plain Sight.

Hide check penalty I get, but a Move Silently bonus? Being blind and all wouldn't they have a better chance to bump into things, noisy things or just pebbles or something?

I was thinking a Listen, Balance, and Concentration bonus and a penalty for Disguise (unless there's someone to give them feedback), Decipher Script, and Forgery.

GrassyGnoll
2008-02-01, 11:02 PM
Make him a wizard or sorceror, give him improved familiar so he gets a mephit or somthing, and have it sit on his head and steer him, then he focuses on spells that are bursts centered on him.

Swanky, I like the idea of a sorcerer particularly resistant to one elemental and become a conduit for AE spells. Kind of like a frail strobe light of death.

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-01, 11:10 PM
Hide check penalty I get, but a Move Silently bonus? Being blind and all wouldn't they have a better chance to bump into things, noisy things or just pebbles or something?

I was thinking a Listen, Balance, and Concentration bonus and a penalty for Disguise (unless there's someone to give them feedback), Decipher Script, and Forgery.

Well, their hearing would become super sensitive and so things would seem louder than they appear. Thus when trying to move silently, they would try harder than others because they perceive sounds as louder than people with sight. Though the other skills you mention are true as well. Really, I think all the bonuses and penalties even it out.

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-01, 11:44 PM
Use psioncs, and obtain the power Synesthete.

Synesthete
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Power Points: 1

You receive one kind of sensory input when a different sense is stimulated. In particular, you can either feel light or feel sound. You can shift your stimulated sense between these two options once per round as a swift action. Your senses continue to work normally as well, unless they are impaired for some reason.

Your face must be uncovered to use this power, because it is the skin of your face that acts as the sensory receiver.

If you are feeling light by absorbing ambient light onto your skin, you have your normal visual abilities (except for darkvision), even if your eyes are closed or you are blinded. If your eyes are working normally, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus on all Spot and Search checks. While feeling light, you are immune to gaze attacks.

If you are feeling sound by absorbing sound onto your skin and your ears are working normally, the expanded audio input provides you with a +4 circumstance bonus on Listen checks.

Psionic or magical displacement effects, invisibility effects, illusions, and other similar effects confuse your synesthete senses just as they would your normal senses.

You can also use this power to see sound if you are deafened, or hear light if you are blinded, thus removing all penalties associated with either condition (though you gain no bonuses for using the power in this way if you are not deafened or blinded).

TheOOB
2008-02-02, 12:11 AM
If I had to have a blind character, I'd give them +4 to listen, and blindsight out to 5 feet.

Worira
2008-02-02, 12:50 AM
Use psioncs, and obtain the power Synesthete.

Best. Acid trip. Ever.

Toric
2008-02-02, 01:12 AM
Best. Acid trip. Ever.

You could taste Freebird!

LibraryOgre
2008-02-02, 01:20 AM
You could taste Freebird!

Unfortunately, if you turned your head wrong, you were tasting a Lynrd Skynrd fan, which was substantially less cool.

playswithfire
2008-02-02, 01:28 AM
Blindfold of true darkness. Magic Item Compendium 9,000 gp. Blindsight 60'. One of the best bargains I've ever had pointed out to me.

Maybe a cursed version that you can't take off?

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-02, 01:29 AM
Blindfold of true darkness. Magic Item Compendium 9,000 gp. Blindsight 60'. One of the best bargains I've ever had pointed out to me.

Maybe a cursed version that you can't take off?

Actually, in a campaign I gave a cursed on to my players, it burned their eyes out when they put it on, so you needed a ring of regenerate or something.

Miles Invictus
2008-02-02, 01:35 AM
If you can get it, tremorsense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#tremorsense) might be a good way to compensate. You can pick it up as a Horizon Walker 6, but you'll be going a good long time without it.

Feralgeist
2008-02-02, 02:33 AM
could go a mindbender dip and get the feat mindsight. It'd be good if you focus mostly on AoE spells or stuff like that

AmberVael
2008-02-02, 03:31 AM
Well, this is a homebrew option, but...

Fax Celestis's disability feats. (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Disability_Feats)

Uthug
2008-02-02, 04:03 AM
Strange, I always thought the blindfold was only up to 30ft. By the way, anyone knows whether blindsight stretches around corners?
For synesthete, do you think you'd be suspectible to all those spells that require you to see the effect? For example color spray or prismatic whatever.

playswithfire
2008-02-02, 10:11 AM
Strange, I always thought the blindfold was only up to 30ft. By the way, anyone knows whether blindsight stretches around corners?

You are correct about the range; I must have read it wrong, but hey, 30 feet is still pretty good.

SRD: Blindsight
Using nonvisual senses, such as sensitivity to vibrations, keen smell, acute hearing, or echolocation, a creature with blindsight maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the creature must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object.
So, no it doesn't go around corners.