PDA

View Full Version : What's the potential brokenness?

Snadgeros
2008-02-02, 12:22 PM
In our new campaign, we have a party of 6, and I'm playing a batman-esque human/al-saur sorcerer (see sig). We also have a grippli druid, an air genasi rogue, a poison-dusk lizardfolk/al-saur beguiler, a half-ogre paladin, and an aasimar scholar-priest (homebrewed class: it's the cleric without armor proficiencies, but instead gets bonus feats like a wizard).

Now what interests me here are the aasimar, air genasi, and half-ogre. I seem to recall some spell in the polymorph line that can change you into anything of your type. Since they're outsiders and a giant, respectively, does this mean I could make them into solars and storm giants? How cheesy and game-breaking would this be? Is there such a spell (other than alter self) or am I just hallucinating? If it is just alter self, does anyone know of a way to use it on them with metamagic (reach spell + chain spell maybe?) Please help me here, and I promise to refrain from COMPLETELY destroying my DM's new campaign.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-02, 12:43 PM
In our new campaign, we have a party of 6, and I'm playing a batman-esque human/al-saur sorcerer (see sig). We also have a grippli druid, an air genasi rogue, a poison-dusk lizardfolk/al-saur beguiler, a half-ogre paladin, and an aasimar scholar-priest (homebrewed class: it's the cleric without armor proficiencies, but instead gets bonus feats like a wizard).

Now what interests me here are the aasimar, air genasi, and half-ogre. I seem to recall some spell in the polymorph line that can change you into anything of your type. Since they're outsiders and a giant, respectively, does this mean I could make them into solars and storm giants? How cheesy and game-breaking would this be? Is there such a spell (other than alter self) or am I just hallucinating? If it is just alter self, does anyone know of a way to use it on them with metamagic (reach spell + chain spell maybe?) Please help me here, and I promise to refrain from COMPLETELY destroying my DM's new campaign.

You can already turn into giants.
Alterself is the one that can't normally. You can't reach personal spells in order to chain them. It has to be a non-personal.

Solar is impossible due to HD concerns. By the time you can, you can cast Shapechange which already can turn into outsiders.

If the Aasimar can use alter self to turn into a Dwarf Ancestor (outsider with +10 NA or more), but he would have to be the wizard not you.

Aerogoat
2008-02-02, 01:44 PM
Alter Self has a HD limit of 5 or your Caster Level, whichever's lower. I think that Solars might be a bit out of your range.

KIDS
2008-02-02, 05:22 PM
Alter Self is, as said, limited by Hit Dice so thankfully most obvious problems are out, but otherwise the potential brokenness is well over nine thousand.

I gotta admit I don't know of a way to cast Alter Self on them, maybe ring of spell-storing might work. Cast into it and give it to someone else? Otherwise, waiting for Polymorph remains your best bet...