PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] The Imperial Courier [v2.0]

Neftren
2008-02-02, 08:05 PM
The Imperial Courier

Taken from the Commoner Class of the Igmarin Empire as a way to allow them to rise in status, these fanatically loyal soldiers represent the elite of the Cavalry Corps. Delivering the decrees of the Emperor and the orders of the military, these resourceful individuals will stop at nothing to get the job done. The more experienced riders have gained an uncanny knack of summoning their personal mount to aid them.

Requirements:
• Must be of the Commoner Class of any house of the Igmarin Empire
• Feats: Mounted Combat, Run
• 8 Ranks in Ride and Handle Animal

Alignment: Any Lawful
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: The Imperial Courier's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge: Geography, Local and Nobility (Int), Ride (Dex) and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points: (2+Int Modifier) (x4 at First Level)

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Commoner's Creed, Special Mount
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Evasion, Messenger's Dash
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Ride Bonus, Improved Mount
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Military Discipline, Defensive Riding
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|All Deliberate Speed, Skirmish [1d6]
6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|Improved Evasion, Untraceable Travels
7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Slip From the Saddle, Skirmish [1d6, +1 AC]
8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Cavalry Coordination, Skirmish [2d6, +1 AC]
9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|Edict of the Emperor, Skirmish [2d6, +2 AC]
10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|He Stops at Nothing, Skirmish [3d6, +3 AC]
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Imperial Couriers are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons. They are proficient with Light and Medium Armor as well as Bucklers and Light Shields.

Commoner's Creed
Taken from the Common class, these individuals are no stranger to hard work. An Imperial Courier gains a bonus to all Disguise and Gather Information checks equal to his class level when dealing with Commoners or those of similar station.

Special Mount
An Imperial Courier has gained the ability to summon a mount to serve him as a devoted and loyal friend. This works exactly like a Paladin's Mount.

Evasion
At second level, an Imperial Courier gains the Evasion Feat as a bonus feat. He does not gain Improved Evasion if he already has it from another class and vice versa. If he already possesses Improved Evasion, he may instead take a feat for which he meets the requirements for.

Messenger's Dash
An Imperial Courier on foot is often used as a layman. An Imperial Courier's base land speed increases by 10 feet.

Ride Bonus
An Imperial Courier gains a bonus to all Ride Checks equal to his class levels. He loses this bonus when he is considered flanked.

Military Discipline
An Imperial Courier has been trained to resist external influence. As a result, he gains a bonus to all Fortitude and Will Saves equal to his class level divided by two, rounded up. This has a minimum of +1.

Defensive Riding
An Imperial Courier of fourth level or higher knows the tricks of defensive riding. If he does nothing else while mounted (he cannot attack when riding defensively), he gains a +2 bonus on Reflex Saves, and a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class. In addition, his mount gains a 20 feet bonus to speed, a +2 bonus on Will Saves, and a +4 dodge bonus to it's Armor Class.

All Deliberate Speed
As a Swift Action, an Imperial Courier may extend his mount's base land speed by 30 feet. As a Standard Action, an Imperial Courier may take an additional two movement actions (for a maximum of three total).

Skirmish
Having honed their combat on the run, these individuals rely upon mobility to defend themselves in combat, preferring not to take hits. An Imperial Courier gains the Skirmish ability as per the Scout, dealing an additional 1d6 of damage and gaining an additional point of armor class after moving at least 10 feet. This increases each level past seventh. This ability works even while mounted.

Improved Evasion
At eleventh level, an Imperial Courier gains the Improved Evasion Feat as a bonus feat. If he already has Improved Evasion, he may instead select another feat for which he meets the prerequisites for.

Slip From the Saddle
An Imperial Courier under fire may choose to disappear from his mount. An Imperial Courier who is hit in combat may choose to feign death and slide off. He must make a DC 20 Ride Check or take 1d6 Fall Damage. If he makes this check, he is considered hidden for one round.

Untraceable Travels
At fifteenth level, an Imperial Courier cannot be tracked. The DC to track any of his companions increases by 5 on normal terrain and 10 on difficult terrain.

Cavalry Coordination
An Imperial Courier can work with others to a benefit. He may now flank a target from up to ten feet away, so long as another person atop a horse is adjacent to the target.

Edict of the Emperor
An Imperial Courier bearing a seal of the Emperor has the ability to order any Igmarin to perform a task, including those of a higher station (excluding the Emperor). He also gains the Leadership Feat as a bonus feat, but is instead granted two cohorts with a level equal to one half your total levels rounded up.

He Stops at Nothing
An Imperial Courier values his mission over his life. When reduced to zero or negative hitpoints, he may act normally, but when in negative hitpoints, he takes two points of damage unless he has already stabilized. Alternatively, the Imperial Courier may forgo this ability and instead take the Diehard feat as a bonus feat.

Editor's Note:
A Paladin who becomes an Imperial Courier may continue advancing as a Paladin.

Fizban
2008-02-03, 03:10 AM
Collapse it into a 10 level PrC, give it full BAB, and change Stop at Nothing to Diehard as a bonus feat.

Most of these abilities can be copied by a fighter using fighter bonus feats, and none of them can't be duplicated by magic items. It has no punch, it just moves fast on a mount, kinda.

*Apologies if I sound too snarky, call it brutal honesty, emphasis on brutal. Sorry I don't have any useful suggestions.

Neftren
2008-02-03, 12:15 PM
It's actually supposed to be a base class, but in any other case, I would agree that they would fit better as prestige classes.

Ascension
2008-02-03, 02:52 PM
I would also suggest giving full BAB with the class, and you might want to look at reducing the number of dead levels somewhat. The two level gap near the end is especially annoying and will greatly reduce the chances of anyone sticking with the class through 20th. At the very least, drop Cavalry Coordination to 17th.

Neftren
2008-02-03, 06:42 PM
I would also suggest giving full BAB with the class, and you might want to look at reducing the number of dead levels somewhat. The two level gap near the end is especially annoying and will greatly reduce the chances of anyone sticking with the class through 20th. At the very least, drop Cavalry Coordination to 17th.

I've been thinking of more stuff to fill the dead levels... but these guys are Couriers, not Fully Armored Knights.

MeklorIlavator
2008-02-03, 06:53 PM
I'd think about adding a skirmish mechanic. Looking at what they get, I wouldn't add a full mechanic, but maybe only give them a 1/2 progression or something.

Neftren
2008-02-03, 07:15 PM
I'd think about adding a skirmish mechanic. Looking at what they get, I wouldn't add a full mechanic, but maybe only give them a 1/2 progression or something.

I had considered that, but realized that I had already added it to the Partisan class that I wrote up.

Tengu
2008-02-03, 07:26 PM
I've been thinking of more stuff to fill the dead levels... but these guys are Couriers, not Fully Armored Knights.

They are specialized soldiers. Warriors are unspecialized soldiers, usually representing militia or town watch, and yet have full BAB. This class is too weak without full BAB, and even with it it's rather underpowered, even when compared to core non-casters.

GryffonDurime
2008-02-03, 07:29 PM
Maybe a new kind of Skirmish damage that only applies to mounted combat, then? Or some kind of empathy with their current mount? Or maybe a mount ridden by a Courier is immune to fear and mind altering effects? Or maybe his mount also gains a truly spectacular jump bonus? Or, through trick riding, a mounted courier can "tumble"? Just throwing ideas out there.

Neftren
2008-02-03, 08:21 PM
So I guess I will up the BAB... maybe I can make the mount superhumanly awesome and can do tricks and such... :D. I was also considering adding Spring Attack, Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz at the appropriate levels...

Neftren
2008-02-04, 07:12 PM
I've added a full Skirmish Mechanic. Does that help balance it out? I did not add to BAB. Stop at Nothing and the Edict have been swapped.

Neftren
2008-02-08, 07:52 PM
Fully revamped and turned into a Prestige Class. Watch for the new myrmidon base class that replaces this. But anyone have any comments, or is this balanced/worth playing?