PDA

View Full Version : Roy's armor

Ash Williams
2008-02-02, 10:55 PM
I've been planning to do illustrations of the OOTS in Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited) style, and I know that Elan wears a chainmail shirt, and Beardy McBeerstein wears plate mail, but what sort of armor would Roy be wearing? Just curious.

Rayzin
2008-02-02, 11:02 PM
:frown: Im thinking a Breast plate or something. I dont think he wears heavy armor.

Kai Maera
2008-02-02, 11:04 PM
Something with plate-type shoulders and a blue shirt/tabard covering the rest of it. Still, looks like scale mail since it fits his form rather well, though the same could be said of Durkon.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-02, 11:06 PM
:frown: Im thinking a Breast plate or something. I dont think he wears heavy armor.

I would think he would use field plate (do they still call it that?) at the least.

Gundato
2008-02-02, 11:12 PM
Has to be something with a lower armor check penalty than Full Plate, judging by only Durkon getting yelled at for being loud.

So, if we assume plate, that means only Half-Plate.

osyluth
2008-02-03, 12:38 AM
Has to be something with a lower armor check penalty than Full Plate, judging by only Durkon getting yelled at for being loud.

So, if we assume plate, that means only Half-Plate.

Actually, half-plate has a higher armor check penalty then full plate.

tenguro
2008-02-03, 01:14 AM
He couldn't possibly have mithril armor could he, like mithril breastplate, judging by how he never clanks.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-03, 03:21 AM
That is a good point (admittedly, a normal breastplate would be a lot quieter then heavy armour, be we know Roy's armour has an armour check penalty from a comment he made about not being able to get over a wall while wearing it due to its weight). If we knew what Roy's Dex modifier is, we would be in a better position to judge what sort ofarmour his using (eg: if it is +3, a breastplate would be the most likely choice of armour for Roy as that allows a maximum Dex donus of 3 to AC).

Jayngfet
2008-02-03, 03:51 AM
a blue painted breastplate and a blue shirt, or maybe something similar

Studoku
2008-02-03, 05:02 AM
Breast plate

Roy has boobies.

Edmundog
2008-02-03, 12:31 PM
I'm in the same boat (except my style is more half Bruce Timm/half Jackson Publick), and was actually about to make a thread about what the characters have on their arms. Roy, I'm leaning toward just giving him the shoulder guards, bare arms, and slightly showy bracers. Haley wears fingerless gloves and simple leather bracers, Durkon has armor like this (http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/206561) with metal gauntlets and chainmail gloves, Elan wears a long-sleeved tunic under his mail shirt, and leather gauntlet-type gloves, Belkar has short sleeves and body hair, but his arms are otherwise bare, and V wears a loose robe with no visible arm coverings otherwise, save some rings and bracelets.

That's what I'm doing, anyway..

Gundato
2008-02-03, 12:58 PM
Actually, half-plate has a higher armor check penalty then full plate.

Oh yeah, negative numbers. The bane of my existence.

Well, uhm. You could argue that the penalty itself is just a magnitude, and then I am right again :p

lord_khaine
2008-02-03, 02:28 PM
it has been mentioned before that Roy is proberly using medium armor, else the scenes in the start where he runs with Durkon would not make sense, becasue in heavy armor he wouldnt be faster than durkon.

Cifer
2008-02-03, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah, negative numbers. The bane of my existence.

Well, uhm. You could argue that the penalty itself is just a magnitude, and then I am right again :p
That wasn't what he was talking about. Half-Plate is just plain worse than Full - in AC (7 vs 8), maximum Dex (0 vs 1) and ACP (-7 vs -6).

In general, I agree with those saying Breast Plate - the blue tone could just as easily be metal coloration or tinting.

ChoaticEvilGuy
2008-02-29, 10:26 PM
I don't think he wears armour (though he does wear shoulder pads)

BRC
2008-02-29, 10:28 PM
I don't think he wears armour (though he does wear shoulder pads)
He's a full-class fighter who dosn't wear armour.

I'm trying to think of a justification for that, some logic for that.......

Nope, can't think of any.

Shades of Gray
2008-02-29, 10:42 PM
Obviously he spent all of his level 1 money on his masterwork greatsword, and never had a chance to get armour.:smallwink:

I'd say breastplate.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-29, 10:53 PM
I always thought it was scale mail...

I am a big fan of Paul Kidd's "Justicar and Escalla" Greyhawk novels, and Jus wore scale mail which he later upgraded to black dragon scale mail. The armor was chosen for its protecion and stealth factors.

There are other similarities between the two... Both Roy and Jus are bald (shaved head), wield greatswords, and think rather than just bull into combat.

And Jus ended up with Escalla (a fairie), while Roy has Celia. If Roy ends up with a hellhound pelt... Nah, it will never happen. :smallbiggrin:

Sixscimitars
2008-03-01, 04:06 AM
I'd say breastplate.
According to Class and Level Geekery, his armor is medium. The best medium armor is breastplate, and it's got one of the lower ACPs of medium-which explains why he's never berated about Move Silently.

Icewalker
2008-03-01, 04:31 AM
Breastplate seems likely. Would that have shoulderpads though?

Sixscimitars
2008-03-01, 06:14 AM
Breastplate seems likely. Would that have shoulderpads though?

According to the Player's Handbook, yeah.

Orzel
2008-03-01, 06:37 AM
Breastplate. He's faster than Durkon when running and whenever someone full attacks him... they don't miss (Roy's AC stinks).

Saph
2008-03-01, 07:08 AM
You'd think some of the OotSers would have cottoned on to getting themselves mithral armour by now. But maybe it's unavailable, like all good magic items seem to be in their world.

I'd hate to be a front-line fighter with only a nonmagical breastplace and no AC boosters. It's a wonder that Roy's won as many fights against melee monsters as he has. Maybe he uses Combat Expertise a lot or something.

- Saph

Orzel
2008-03-01, 07:19 AM
You'd think some of the OotSers would have cottoned on to getting themselves mithral armour by now. But maybe it's unavailable, like all good magic items seem to be in their world.

I'd hate to be a front-line fighter with only a nonmagical breastplace and no AC boosters. It's a wonder that Roy's won as many fights against melee monsters as he has. Maybe he uses Combat Expertise a lot or something.

- Saph

I think there is poor AC all around. The only ones who ever really miss attacks are gobbo and hobbo mooks in this comic.

Half-blood
2008-03-01, 09:50 AM
I'd say breastplate. although belkar DID say, "Slide off that Heavy armor..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0249.html)
Although it could be a reference to the weight of said armor.

Also. Medium and heavy armor have the same speed penalty.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-01, 09:53 AM
I'd say breastplate. although belkar DID say, "Slide off that Heavy armor..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0249.html)
Although it could be a reference to the weight of said armor.That's the current consensus, though there is still debate. Medium at worst.
Also. Medium and heavy armor have the same speed penalty.Not while running.

Callista
2008-03-01, 11:42 AM
Not shoulderpads. Pauldrons.

smart thog
2008-03-23, 08:23 PM
Maybe he uses Combat Expertise a lot or something.

- Saph

Probably, since thats the only reason to play a fighter with high int.

OverWilliam
2008-03-23, 08:48 PM
Well you know, we could just ask the Giant...

:smalleek:

You know what, nevermind I said anything... In fact, I'm shocked and embarrassed that I even let that affront to geekism slip out.:smallfrown:

:smalltongue:

Mr._Michael
2008-03-24, 02:07 AM
*sigh* OverWilliam... there is no music in your soul, is there... :smallfrown:

Trazoi
2008-03-24, 04:12 AM
I think the bigger conundrum is what kind of pants Roy wears. Or even more fundamentally, whether he even wears pants.

Kish
2008-03-24, 05:15 AM
Probably, since thats the only reason to play a fighter with high int.
:smallsigh: I would venture that someone who thinks that's the only reason to play a fighter with high Intelligence doesn't understand Roy at all.

bibliophile
2008-03-25, 08:36 PM
I would agree with that. Roy is a complex charecter. Although that brings up the question is oots meant to be a DnD game* that tells a story, or a story that happens to use DnD as a medium? Is roy a charecter playing a fighter or a charecter who is a fighter?

*yes I know oots is not an actual DnD game. That's not what I'm saying.

Ziggy's_Roady
2008-03-26, 09:50 AM
I think he wears full Plate Armor, as he has yet to take a lot of damage in battle (Excluding against high-level villains).

As far as pants go, I think he's a nudist..nah, just kidding