PDA

View Full Version : Horus vs Darth vader

Zenos
2008-02-03, 01:06 PM
THe WH40k and SW universes briefly meld.

In a battle of "good" guys, turned evil, which of the two would win? Horus has 200 Sons of Horus SM's, whilst the Sith has some 2000 storm troopers (I can make it more, just for fairness). We'll count any WH40k power weapons as being able to block lightsabers. Lightsabers count as pwoer weapons for the purpose of cutting through armour.

They are engaging in horus' battlebarge. The reason they fight? Because Horus thinks Vader is too lawful and supports the loyalists of the IoM, whilst Vader thinks Horus is too chaotic, and is suspicious that Horus supplies the rebels with weapons.

No orbital bombardment or heavy weapons.

Eita
2008-02-03, 01:16 PM
This is Evil Horus, so he gets his 'ZOMG! Psychic powers!'. Horus wins. Hard.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 01:19 PM
This is Evil Horus, so he gets his 'ZOMG! Psychic powers!'. Horus wins. Hard.

Didn't Horus have psyker power before the Heresy, just not as profound and powerful as afterward because of the power gifted by the Chaos Gods?

But yea, Horus crushes Vader, easily. Vader is an awesome villain, but Horus is pretty much a god in his own right.

puppyavenger
2008-02-03, 01:34 PM
Didn't Horus have psyker power before the Heresy, just not as profound and powerful as afterward because of the power gifted by the Chaos Gods?

But yea, Horus crushes Vader, easily. Vader is an awesome villain, but Horus is pretty much a god in his own right.
and a SM equels at least 10 st on there own.

Freshmeat
2008-02-03, 01:37 PM
1. Horus wins, because he's practically a god.
2. Yet another WH40K thread? Come on! :smallannoyed:

LBO
2008-02-03, 01:43 PM
Horus flicks Vader in the chest, crushing him with a single blow. He then winks, once, at the assembled Stormies, who either pledge themselves eternally to him or commit suicide, dying happy knowing that they have glimpsed the greatest man alive. (For anyone who hasn't read Horus Rising or other Horus-related fluff, and knows him only as an armoured god of war, this guy has charisma like the Pacific has water: slightly tainted, but almost immeasurably vast.)

The Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus (pre- or post- Horus Rising? :D) get the day off and go and hunt some xenos, without having to lift a finger.

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-03, 01:53 PM
Wow, what are the odds? Another absolutely ridiculous 40K vs. y matchup. Vader is a better villain, Horus slaughters armies single handed. He's a freakin' demigod.

LBO
2008-02-03, 01:57 PM
Okay, to make it more even, how about: any hundred Jedi (but let's say they have to be all either light-side Jedi or all dark-side) you care to name, against any one Primarch you care to name. (You can even have one of the really crap primarchs, like Night Haunter or Ferrus Manus.) My money's still on the twelve-foot demigod, though.

(And you think Vader is a better villain? Bah and pah, I say!)

Eita
2008-02-03, 01:59 PM
One villain nearly destroyed the galaxy, the other.... What exactly did Vader do besides kill Younglings and chop off his sons hand?

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-03, 02:03 PM
One villain nearly destroyed the galaxy, the other.... What exactly did Vader do besides kill Younglings and chop off his sons hand?

He never killed younglings, what are you talking about?! There was no prequel trilogy, why does everyone insist there was?! *runs to corner and sobs uncontrollably*

Zenos
2008-02-03, 02:06 PM
Okay, pre-heresy Horus vs Vader, Palpatine at his physical peak, Count Dooku, Darth Maul (you can leave him out if you feel like Dis-continuity) and fifty dark jedi, plus Yoda.

Eita
2008-02-03, 02:13 PM
Horus stood up to the God-Emperor and exploited the Power of Love. That should be enough for you to see his awesome.

puppyavenger
2008-02-03, 02:23 PM
Okay, pre-heresy Horus vs Vader, Palpatine at his physical peak, Count Dooku, Darth Maul (you can leave him out if you feel like Dis-continuity) and fifty dark jedi, plus Yoda.

add in REvan and they might have a chance.

LBO
2008-02-03, 02:30 PM

Horus wins in one second.

warty goblin
2008-02-03, 07:01 PM
Horus wins in one second.

Pretty much yes. Jedi kill people by whacking them with glowing stuff or choking/throwing them around. Horus causes people to explode by glancing at them, at least post Heresy.

LBO
2008-02-03, 07:27 PM
Anyone remember 40k second edition, where some things could kill an Imperial Guardsmen by breathing on him?

That's a lot like how I imagine Primarchs.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-03, 07:39 PM
Anyone remember 40k second edition, where some things could kill an Imperial Guardsmen by breathing on him?

That's a lot like how I imagine Primarchs.

Yeah, but 40k.2e was the era of Librarians wiping out entire armies on turn 1.

LBO
2008-02-03, 07:43 PM
Yeah, but 40k.2e was the era of Librarians wiping out entire armies on turn 1.
Also a lot like how I imagine Primarchs. :smallamused:

puppyavenger
2008-02-03, 08:30 PM
Also a lot like how I imagine Primarchs. :smallamused:

at least Magnus.

bugsysservant
2008-02-03, 08:57 PM

Hmm, I think that the jedi/sith might have a chance here. A lot depends on the initial circumstances, but bear in mind a few things.

1. Palpatine can tear fleets apart with his mind. Seriously, FLEETS. And that probably would be his physical peak too: inhabiting a fresh young clone.

2. Jedi have the ability to focus their power into one individual in some circumstances. This was the reason for the pyramids on Yavin IV. If all of the jedi focused their energy into Palpatine, well, it would probably kill him soon after, but in the interim he could tear up a world without breaking a sweat.

3. Haven't EU sith made suns go supernova? If we're talking the combined force might of fifty jedi plus some of the strongest sith/jedi ever (Darth Sidius is supposed to be the strongest sith lord ever, and Yoda is, well, Yoda) they should be able to do anything that has ever even been imagined in the EU.

All things considered, Horus would probably lose against those, if they were allowed to reach their full potential. If not... well, I'm not as pessimistic as some of the other posters about their chances.

puppyavenger
2008-02-04, 07:31 AM
Hmm, I think that the jedi/sith might have a chance here. A lot depends on the initial circumstances, but bear in mind a few things.

1. Palpatine can tear fleets apart with his mind. Seriously, FLEETS. And that probably would be his physical peak too: inhabiting a fresh young clone.

2. Jedi have the ability to focus their power into one individual in some circumstances. This was the reason for the pyramids on Yavin IV. If all of the jedi focused their energy into Palpatine, well, it would probably kill him soon after, but in the interim he could tear up a world without breaking a sweat.

3. Haven't EU sith made suns go supernova? If we're talking the combined force might of fifty jedi plus some of the strongest sith/jedi ever (Darth Sidius is supposed to be the strongest sith lord ever, and Yoda is, well, Yoda) they should be able to do anything that has ever even been imagined in the EU.

All things considered, Horus would probably lose against those, if they were allowed to reach their full potential. If not... well, I'm not as pessimistic as some of the other posters about their chances.

As I said add Revan and they have a chance.

Artemician
2008-02-04, 07:59 AM
Damn EU getting into my Star Wars.. rargh.

Really, if you're going by the EU intepretations of Jedi and Sith, Horus actually has a decent chance of losing. Off the top of my head..

Joruus C'boath - Mindcontrols a squadron of capital ships across half the galaxy. That's.. Alpha+. Definite.

Some Jedi Apprentices from I don't know where - Force Push entire Capital Ships across a system. And these are untrained, mark you.

Palpatine - Manipulates and clouds the future with as much skill as an Eldar Farseer.

Warhammer 40K was built to be oveerpowered, but even it can't reckon with the might of Fanfiction.

Rutee
2008-02-04, 08:36 AM
Screw the EU. IT really is just glorified Fanfiction (Which doesn't change that some of it is good. Yay for X-Wing Series). Let's stick strictly to the movies.

Even if it does doom Vader to Horus, it's just so much more.. sane.

Zenos
2008-02-04, 09:21 AM
Screw the EU. IT really is just glorified Fanfiction (Which doesn't change that some of it is good. Yay for X-Wing Series). Let's stick strictly to the movies.

Sanity. Is. For. The. WEAK!!!!!

Sorry, just wanted to do a warped quote from Dawn of War.

TheFallenOne
2008-02-04, 10:21 AM
If you want this to be interesting limit it to a close combat match without psychic powers. Otherwise the only result will be a pileup of ridiculous EU characters until they can match a demigod. According to your explanations you wanted them to go claws against lightsabers, but if psychic powers are allowed the only question is who can vaporize the other with a mere thought first

warty goblin
2008-02-04, 10:28 AM

Thank you for saying that. It's been roughly my opinion of Star Wars EU ever since I actually started learning about it. I feel it sort of has become some sort of fan-wank compitition at this point "Hey, my Mary-Sue just crushed a planet with his mind!" "Oh yeah? Well mine just crushed an entire sun!" "Oh yeah?..."

LBO
2008-02-04, 10:54 AM
Sanity. Is. For. The. WEAK!!!!!

Sorry, just wanted to do a warped quote from Dawn of War.
Do you hear the voices too?!

Thank you for saying that. It's been roughly my opinion of Star Wars EU ever since I actually started learning about it. I feel it sort of has become some sort of fan-wank compitition at this point "Hey, my Mary-Sue just crushed a planet with his mind!" "Oh yeah? Well mine just crushed an entire sun!" "Oh yeah?..."
I'd disagree with that... slightly. Some of the Star Wars stuff, like the Rogue Squadron comics, the Thrawn Trilogy (before that absurd Hand of Thrawn nonsense), is really good, well-written, Star Warsy-goodness.

However... yeah, the vast majority of it is fanwank drivel and the drive to make a better Death Star (World Devastators! Sun Crusher! How about Palpatine is actually a billion clones, and they can all eat fleets with their thoughts?)

Dervag
2008-02-04, 11:06 AM
However... yeah, the vast majority of it is fanwank drivel and the drive to make a better Death Star (World Devastators! Sun Crusher! How about Palpatine is actually a billion clones, and they can all eat fleets with their thoughts?)Although the Galaxy Gun actually made sense in my opinion. I mean, they've got hyperspace-capable probe droids that they can send very long distances. It was only a matter of time before somebody figured out that you could put a bomb in something like that and shoot it at the enemy.

The power of the individual shells may have been overdone in the series, but frankly the idea of the weapon itself makes at least as much sense than the Death Star itself in the context of movie-level Star Wars technology.

Zenos
2008-02-04, 11:12 AM
Do you hear the voices too?!

It was a Momentary Madness.

LBO
2008-02-04, 11:33 AM
It is as though a thousand mouths cry out in pain!

Although the Galaxy Gun actually made sense in my opinion. I mean, they've got hyperspace-capable probe droids that they can send very long distances. It was only a matter of time before somebody figured out that you could put a bomb in something like that and shoot it at the enemy.

The power of the individual shells may have been overdone in the series, but frankly the idea of the weapon itself makes at least as much sense than the Death Star itself in the context of movie-level Star Wars technology.
Indeed. Apart from the Empire having warheads that blow up planets, and the way the umpteenth-cloned-Palpatine is trying to take over Leia's unborn baby's soul, and how the Empire still hasn't managed to stop an R2 unit being able to single-handedly (well, for a given value of hand) take over their most powerful warships, and how the Empire, rather than having been beaten like a drum half a dozen times, is actually a billion times bigger than before, that story would have been a Star Wars story rather than dreadful fanfic.

The Dark Empire series has Cool Factor in spades, and awesome art, but the premise is just awful. Still a cut above the rest, because a lot of EU stuff also lacks the cool factor and the art.

Rutee
2008-02-04, 11:33 AM

Well, like Fanfiction, some of it is good. The simple fact remains, however, that it's still just glorified fanfiction. While I consider it highly cynical of George Lucas to allow it to be made without actually botherring to check for quality, I don't really consider it canon.

LBO
2008-02-04, 11:37 AM
Well, like Fanfiction, some of it is good. The simple fact remains, however, that it's still just glorified fanfiction. While I consider it highly cynical of George Lucas to allow it to be made without actually botherring to check for quality, I don't really consider it canon.
Looking on the bright side, even with the entire EU it's still more consistent than actual Star Trek canon.

sikyon
2008-02-04, 01:09 PM
Looking on the bright side, even with the entire EU it's still more consistent than actual Star Trek canon.

How so?

Also, Horus cleans SW's clock.