PDA

View Full Version : Should I go to GenCon Indy this summer?

One_Wolf
2008-02-03, 01:38 PM
I just noticed that pre-registration for GenCon INdy 2008 starts today.

I have never been to GenCon and am a long time gamer (RGP's and board games) However, I am not, should we say, so immersed in gaming that it is all I think about. I guess you can call be a perpetually casual gamer.

OK with that background I have always wanted to attend GenCon but have always missed it. Usually because I wasn't paying attention. This year I am on the ball, but money is tight for me and I don't have tons of time for vacation.

I just want to know from those of you who have attended in that past if it is something I should find a way to attend, or should I wait until later. (By the way, my son is two years old, maybe I should wait until he is a bit older and make it a family vacation?)

I guess what I am asking is for those who have been there to either talk me into going or talk me out of going based on their experiences. Some specific questions I have (but by all means are not all inclusive of my inquiry) are:

How difficult is it to get into a game?
Are the people running the games pleasant and patient, or abusive and intolerant?
Are RPG sessions usually concluded, or do they get cut short?
How fun is it overall?

Thanks for any input.

-One Wolf

EmeraldRose
2008-02-03, 06:51 PM
I've never been to a con, (but Con of the North is here and we may go) but I think if you had the opportunity to go to one that is close by to you, why not?

Balthor
2008-02-04, 09:15 AM
(my son is two years old, maybe I should wait until he is a bit older and make it a family vacation?)
How difficult is it to get into a game?
Are the people running the games pleasant and patient, or abusive and intolerant?
Are RPG sessions usually concluded, or do they get cut short?
How fun is it overall?

O.K. As a 5 year veteran of Gencon Indy. I have to say this is a must attend event. My family goes every year, and we have a blast. I take my kids also ( 8,7,2,and 3 months current ages) every year. there is something for everyone there. Even the non gamers. (heck there is a cooking class!)
Take the kids and enjoy. And the difficuly of getting into a game is relevant to the game you are trying to get into. Reguardless, you proably want to be online the moment event sales goes live and have you events already picked out just to be on the safe side.( Event catalogue should be avalible with all i.d. numbers about 2-3 weeks before they go on sale) The G.M.'s? Well just as in real life, there are some great people and there are some tools. Most people are pretty patient though. All Gamees that I have played have gone to the end, however there are some games that are played on a time limit, so it would be best to look into the game and its time constraints before signing up for it. Over all I would just have to say that not only is Gencon the best 4 days on gaming, it is the best 4 days in the year. It is my family vacation, and we start planning our visit on the drive home every time.
On a side note, True Dungeon and Hickman's Killer Breakfast are MUST events. Truly a blast for all involved, although T.D. would require a babysitter. They also sell out in about 2 minutes of event sales going live.
Hope to see you an all other playground attenders there this year!

-Balthor
Llama Hunter
retired.