PDA

View Full Version : Larger than forcecage

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-03, 01:55 PM
It you use 20ft poles or something to be larger that a force cage are you immune to the spell forcecage?

BRC
2008-02-03, 01:57 PM
Nope, it's just much more amusing

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-03, 02:02 PM
Creatures within the area are caught and contained unless they are too big to fit inside, in which case the spell automatically fails. Teleportation and other forms of astral travel provide a means of escape, but the force walls or bars extend into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel.Yep. Though it would need to be 21 feet. Also, filler.

Signmaker
2008-02-03, 02:09 PM
For simplicity's sake, yes (Assuming the pole exceeds the bounds). Though, one might rule that the 'bar' version of the spell has a % chance to succeed. Which would be funny, to see a person pinned down by their own utility item.

sonofzeal
2008-02-03, 02:11 PM
The rules generally seem to suggest that if you have something that sticks solidly out of your square, then the portion of it that's out of your square doesn't really count as "you", even to the extent that other held object do. I'm totally drawing a blank on specific examples though, sorry.

So, no, doesn't work, but it's a nice try.

brian c
2008-02-03, 02:12 PM
It you use 20ft poles or something to be larger that a force cage are you immune to the spell forcecage?

How do you use 20ft poles to make yourself bigger? I'm pretty sure you personally would still be inside the forcecage; the poles would either get chopped off or stuck. That's my ruling anyway.

Karsh
2008-02-03, 02:29 PM
This is like that argument over whether or not wearing a refrigerator box blocks line of effect. Just no.

nargbop
2008-02-03, 03:40 PM
What about wearing armor made of ferrets to avoid line-of-effect death spells ? It kills a ferret, congratulations.
Nope, I would say that forcecage goes and breaks the pole.

Deepblue706
2008-02-03, 03:47 PM
What if you're using stilts? Does the forcecage suspend in the air? Do you plummit to the ground? Does it miss? I think it should miss. Nothing would be more degrading to nonarcane-casters for circus clowns to be to immune to certain spell effects that they would so dread.

Collin152
2008-02-03, 04:05 PM
The cage punches you in the face, and you drop the pole.
Then you get caught.
Course, if you were holding a pole to avoid my Forcecage, I'd just cast something you'd need hands to deal with.
Like say, a summoned monster.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-02-03, 04:13 PM
This is like that argument over whether or not wearing a refrigerator box blocks line of effect.

Or of course the good old "Hiding behind your tower shield" trick.

Chronos
2008-02-03, 04:14 PM
The spell says that creatures that are too big cause the spell to fail, but it doesn't say anything about objects. So, from the RAW, one could say that the spell fails, or one could say that it breaks the pole, or that the pole gets compressed, or that the cage is enlarged to accompiany it. There's nothing in the text to argue for or against any of these interpretations, so it (like so many other aspects of the game) comes down to the DM's decision.

Personally, I would rule that it would cause the spell to fail, since that's the simplest option. But of course, carrying around a 20 foot pole with you everywhere is really awkward, for the benefit of being protected against a single spell which isn't even actually all that harmful. You could do it, but would you actually want to?