PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Elflords, Warriors and Timebenders

ErrantX
2008-02-03, 05:21 PM
Elflords / Quillari Myrmidons

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii99/lythonv66/Dark_Elf_Lord_Portrait_by_Ricardofa.jpg
Quillari Gilrath, a Sidhe'Aier Quillari Myrmidon and Valiere'Ka

In ages past, the elves commanded immense spiritual power due to the natural prowess of their race. After the Breaking of the World, this power was lost to both the Cerran’Aier elves and the Sidhe’Aier elves. Years past as the two elven races struggled to regain their might, and while both used different methods to accomplish this (arcane and psionic respectively), but resemble each other frighteningly. Manipulating time currents and martial training, these warriors of the elven races have regained a fraction of the power once enjoyed by their race in former ages.
Hit Die: d8

Prerequisites:
Race: Cerran’Aier (for arcane), Sidhe’Aier (for psionic), Half-Elf (either, depending on elven parent)
Alignment: Cerran'Aier: any non-evil; Sidhe'Aier: any non-good.
BAB: +5
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks (for arcane) or Knowledge (psionics) 6 ranks (for psionic), Psicraft 6 ranks (for psionic) or Spellcraft 6 ranks (for arcane), Tumble 2 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Illuminari), Mobility, Skill Focus (Concentration).
Special: Ability to cast or manifest 2nd level arcane spells or powers.

Elflord / Quillari Myrmidon
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells/Powers

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Temporal Aura Shift, Elven Arms|
-

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Temporal Body Shift|+1 level of existing class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Extend Temporal Aura (minimally)|+1 level of existing class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|
-|+1 level of existing class

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Extend Temporal Aura (partially)|+1 level of existing class

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Extend Temporal Aura (violently)|+1 level of existing class

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Extend Temporal Aura (fully)|
-[/table]

Class Skills: The Elflord’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana or psionics), Listen (Wis), Psicraft or Spellcraft (Int), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

Weapons and Armor: Elflords and Quillari gain proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor. Quillari Myrmidons are also proficient with medium armor.

Temporal Aura Shift (Su): By regularly performing a meditative exercise to tap into the elven race’s lost power, the Elflords of the Cerran’Aier and the Quillari Myrmidons of the Sidhe’Aier may tap into the secrets of chronomancy and chronokinetics. By performing a ritualistic somatic maneuver and through mental force, an Elflord may create a shimmering bubble of distorted chronomantic or chronokinetic power. This shifted time exists as a focus for the Elflord’s time shifting abilities. To create this temporal aura, the Elflord performs a full round action (which provokes attacks of opportunity) and performs a DC 25 Concentration check to initiate the shifting temporal field. Failure means that the proper mental state was not achieved and the attempt is wasted. Success initiates the aura which may be maintained for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the Elflord’s Charisma modifier. This can be extended each round after that by performing an additional DC 25 Concentration check with an increasing DC of +2 each round thereafter until either the need for the aura is finished or until the shifting temporal aura collapses.

While this aura is active, the Elflord may add his Charisma modifier to his Initiative checks and a +10ft enhancement bonus to his movement rate.

Elven Arms: Quel’Cerran Elflords receive either an Illuminari spear (short, regular, or long) or longsword, and a mithral chain shirt. Quillari Myrmidons receive either an Illuminari longsword or double sword and a black lacquered mithral breastplate. The new Elflord or Quillari may pay the additional enhancement costs for better equipment or purchase more potent versions of this equipment as they advance.

Spells/Powers per Day: At each new level except 1st and 10th gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class or manifesting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting or manifesting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class or manifesting class before becoming an Elflord, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day or powers.

Elven Mana (Su): At 2nd level, an Elflord or Quillari learns how to channel their personal power to awaken some of the long lost potential of the elven race. As a swift action, the character sacrifices one of his available spells or several of his power points and channels this power into his mana pool. This mana pool can be used to augment and boost his combat abilities and empower his temporal aura. The maximum amount of mana an Elflord can contain within his mana pool is equal to 2 + the character’s Elflord level with no limit to the number of mana points spent in per round. An Elflord may only spend mana once per round, however, to power their abilities (an Elflord cannot extend his temporal aura while additionally using a temporal body shift). Any unused mana points can be held in reserve for a maximum of 5 rounds. After which time, the Elflord loses the remaining mana points. However, his current mana pool can never exceed his maximum mana number.

An Elflord gains mana points at the rate of 1 point per spell level sacrificed (0th level spells grant no mana). Quillari Myrmidons gain mana points by spending twice the amount of power points of the mana they wish to generate (i.e. 2 mana would cost 4 power points, etc).

Temporal Body Shift (Su): As a swift action, one of the uses of mana that the elves have discovered are its benefits to warriors in combat. By channeling their mana through their temporal aura, they may accelerate and hasten their actions in battle. Each point of mana may be used for one of the listed abilities below at the power level shown for the Elflord’s class level. This class feature is not compatible with any feat that enhances a supernatural ability, nor is it compatible with the haste spell or any ability that grants extra actions.

Temporal Body Shift Benefits
{table=head]Abilities|
2-3|
4-5|
6-7|
8-9|
Temporal bonus to attacks for one round*|+1d6|+2d6|+3d6|+4d6|+5d6
Temporal bonus to attack damage for one round**|+1d6|+2d6|+3d6|+4d6|+5d6
Temporal bonus to AC for one round|+1d6|+1d6|+2d6|+2d6|+3d6
One extra attack at your full base attack bonus***|
0|
1|
1|
2|
3[/table]
*- The extra dice to added to attack rolls are rolled separately for each attack and function as an insight bonus.
**- If the weapon deals some sort of elemental damage (i.e. fire, cold, electicity, or acid), then the additional damage is of that elemental damage type. If the weapon does not, then the additional damage is simply an enhancement of the weapon’s normal damage ability. The extra dice are rolled per damage roll.
***- Each additional attack requires the expenditure of a point of mana, and the limit on that is the number of additional attacks listed per level (i.e. a 8th level Elflord would spend 1 mana per additional attack to a limit of 2). These attacks must be made as part of a full attack action.

Extend Temporal Aura (Su): By continuing to manipulate the forces of time through their temporal aura, an Elflord may channel mana through it by extending the time shifting aura’s size and influence. Extending the aura, however, is taxing on the Elflord’s mind and requires additional concentration on his behalf to keep his temporal aura stable.

At 3rd level, by extending the aura minimally as a swift action, the Elflord may spend 1 mana to reroll an attack roll he had just made. By reversing the time flowing within his aura a scarce heartbeat, he may redirect a blow to land it on his foe more tellingly. The Elflord must take the result of the second roll regardless of its success. This ability requires the Elflord also make a DC 20 Concentration check to maintain his aura after the reroll is made.

At 5th level, by extending the aura partially, the Elflord may reverse time upon those within his aura as a standard action. Those within 5ft of the Elflord when he extends his aura gain fast healing equal to the number of mana points spent in the extension of the aura. This lasts for the duration of the temporal aura shift, or until they leave the aura’s radius. This ability only works on those designated as allies to the Elflord, and not to his foes. To maintain his temporal aura while extending it, the Elflord must make a DC 22 Concentration check.

At 8th level, by extending the temporal aura violently, the Elflord’s aura expands outwards to a thirty foot range around him and rapidly contracts back to its original size. By spending 3 mana and making a full round action, the Elflord makes a DC 25 Concentration check to rapidly and violently expand his aura into an area attack with a thirty foot radius, centered on himself, which deals 1d6 per class level points of force damage to those within the range. Victims may make a Reflex save (DC 14 + the Elflord’s Charisma modifier) to halve this damage. If the Concentration check to expand the aura is successful, then the aura returns to its normal size. If the check failed, then the attack occurs but the temporal aura collapses and dissipates.

At 10th level, by fully extending the temporal aura, the Elflord may use a full round action to cause the temporal aura to expand and then collapse in on itself to envelop the Elflord. This is a dangerous process, as it effectively removes the Elflord from the time stream for a short amount of time if it fails. A successful DC 30 Concentration check initiates a time stop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm) (as the spell) with the spell’s duration of rounds equal to the number of mana points spent in the expansion of the aura. If successful, the Elflord may not perform temporal body shifts or any temporal aura abilities during this time stop due to the aura's current state of maximum extension. If the check is unsuccessful, the mana points are spent and the temporal aura collapses on the Elflord, swallowing him into temporal distortion for a number of minutes equal to the mana spent on the aura extension. When the Elflord reappears, his aura is dispersed and he is exhausted. Either way, the Elflord’s temporal aura shift ends and cannot be reactivated for 1d4 minutes.

---

Please keep in mind this class is setting specific for a homebrew campaign setting I am working up. The Cerran'Aier are more the standard elven race with a propensity for sorcerery instead of wizardry, and the Sidhe'Aier are a race of elves who favor psionics and brutality over all else (hating arcane and divine magic passionately). An Illuminari is a sort of crystalline weapon of light, which functions as a +1 keen bladed weapon that are specific to both elven races.

And yes, I know I borrowed some from the Iron Kingdoms warcaster with the temporal body shift mechanics.

Please PEACH at your leisure, thank you.

-X

P.S. Work inspired by the Elflords of Lost Souls (http://lostsouls.org).

Lord_Gareth
2008-02-05, 05:21 AM
Well, I'd like to toss my hat in the ring and call it balanced ^_^

But, y'know, check with other people, 'cause I'm also really sleepy right now.

ErrantX
2008-02-05, 11:33 AM
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence at least. Not sure if the mechanics are cumbersome/confusing or not for the mana and temporal aura stuff.

-X

fuzzywolf
2008-02-05, 12:28 PM
I like it, and also think it's pretty balanced. The abilities themselves are rather powerful, plus a full BAB, but entering the PrC means you have to be at least a 3rd level caster, and if you're ONLY a third level caster, you're only going to have like 5 points of mana per day. And like any gish, it suffers from severe MAD. Cha, str, dex, con and maybe int?

Edit: I was going to say that a lower spell progression might be in order. Perhaps only ever other level? After all, your elflords aren't really going to be casting spells, they're going to be in heavy armor and using their spells for mana, so they only limit to their powers are the number of spells/day they have.

ErrantX
2008-02-05, 12:53 PM
Actually if you entered this class as a 5th level wizard, for example, you'd have 10 mana at start plus bonus spells. 3rd level spell is 3 mana, 2 2nd level spells are 2 each, and three points for all 3 level 1 spells. One could cut down on the MAD a little bit by being a Sorcerer and going Fighter 2 / Sorcerer 6 and you'd cut down on the Int requirement a bit. That's just a thought though.

My objective here is to make sure that it's balanced / the mechanics run smoothly and without too much complication.

-X

ErrantX
2008-02-08, 03:42 PM
Some moderately significant changes have been made to the class in regards to the temporal body shift mechanics and how Elven Mana works for psychics. I changed the entry requirements to no longer require Weapon Focus but added Exotic Weapon (Illuminari) because it was what I intended to do initially. A friend called me on it :P

Please take a look and tell me what you think!

-X

Atticus Bleak
2008-02-09, 12:09 AM
I like it. I'm not an expert, but i call it balanced. I would normally playtest something before i give an opinion...but it really seems balanced. I was at first a bit worried about the BAB, but its balanced out by the lack of mana at lower levels..so..Good Job! :smallbiggrin: