PDA

View Full Version : Should I Start playing WoW again?

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 06:15 PM
Ok the thing is I play WoW on and off alot, but I really want to get a high level for the upcoming expansion and stuff, but for some reason I'm feeling somewhat unmotivated, is it really worth it to play WoW if I'm feeling sort of bored of it?

konfeta
2008-02-03, 06:21 PM
Well, this really shoulda went in the gaming forum, but to answer you question, a big fat no.

The game is basically a non-stop grind in both PvP and Raiding. Unless you got a bunch of friends you enjoy playing with, playing a game that bores you will keep you bored.

Unless you enjoy the process of the Loot Hunt, you will have little reason to enjoy WoW outside social interaction. And even then, the Guild Drama that afflicts nearly every raiding guild gets on the nerves after a while.

Pwenet
2008-02-03, 06:22 PM
Ok the thing is I play WoW on and off alot, but I really want to get a high level for the upcoming expansion and stuff, but for some reason I'm feeling somewhat unmotivated, is it really worth it to play WoW if I'm feeling sort of bored of it?

As someone who went down this path, let me ask this question.

Do you want to keep spending $$$ on something that bores you and you don't get as much enjoyment out of. Is there anything in the game that you want to do and feel excited about or people you are friends with player?

Disclaimer - I have been WoW free for over 6 months, and don't really have any desire to play again.

Bago!!!
2008-02-03, 06:28 PM
I used to be alot like that Asmodeus. I used to make a new character every day just because I grew bored. My highest level character was level 21 warrior garuk.

All you really need is to make friends who you play with. When my friends started to play my WoW playing went up significantly. There are other elements to WoW than just grinding and PvP (though I find the PvP mighty fun as a warlock). There is roleplaying, which has now grown thin in many servers. It saddens me....:smallfrown:

Anyway, what is your highest level character? If you have not pushed level 20, then it will be boring for some time. After you break past that limit, it will get better over time. I did that with my warlock, and I just plain like him!

Mr.Moron
2008-02-03, 06:29 PM
Go back in when you want to play again. I quit WoW, went back, quit again. I'm feeling the urge to play again. Next couple weeks I might pick it up for a few months, probably quit again. Don't resume playing just because you have an odd sense of their being some "Goal" to achieve, just play when you think it'll be fun. That is what games are about, after all.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 06:30 PM
My highest level character is a 27 Dwarf Hunter.

Icewalker
2008-02-03, 06:33 PM
Well...yeah. Basically, if you are playing alone, the game can get pretty boring at most points. Sometimes it isn't, but it usually is. If you can get somebody to play with, then it is very fun. I had seriously stopped playing on my 70, got really tired of it, then made a character on a friends server with 2 others, and we are now around 40 and rising. Highest character I've ever gotten other than my main.

warty goblin
2008-02-03, 07:03 PM
So wait, you are asking if you should continue to spend time and money on a non-vital activity that you no longer gain significant enjoyment from?
I'm confused...

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 07:05 PM
Well its not that I find WoW BORING, sometimes I'm disinterested, and sometimes I'm not, but I kind of find it hard to get back into WoW when i stop playing and I usually make a new character and start from there, and therein lies the problem I don't know if going through all that stuff is worth it, as I usually find it very hard to get back into characters i havent used in a long time.

Nevrmore
2008-02-03, 07:11 PM
I superdy-dooper don't care.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 07:39 PM
I superdy-dooper don't care.

Well then why in iddly diddly hell are you posting in this thread?

stm177
2008-02-03, 07:44 PM
There's no point to playing a game you don't enjoy. I stopped playing last July when I reached level 70, and didn't want to raid or pvp.

I found the questing fun, but there's a pattern to the quests. It's always kill X of Y, gather Z, or find W. I always quested with a friend or two, and it made the questing more fun.

Prophaniti
2008-02-03, 08:02 PM
I would second (or third or forth) the statement that it's not worth the $ every month if you're not enjoying yourself. If you only have fun off and on (which is my experience with the game) then you simply need to decide if you have as much fun as you would spending your money on something else. There are, as I have discovered recently, a plethora of completely free online games out there. Try a few and see if you enjoy them as much. I'm another who's off and on with WoW, not currently playing, but thinking about picking it up again for a month or two.

Seeing as you haven't gotten into the 30s even, I'll say that there is fun to be had at higher levels, but it's similar to the fun your having (or not having) now. Don't expect there to be a magic 'Fun Starts Here' level, there's not. Personally, part of what I enjoy with games like that is exploration and going to places I haven't been before. My first time into Blackrock Mountain was awesome, and that's the feeling about the game that keeps me coming back to it. If you feel the same way, it will be worth your time to level and see the other areas. If not, try another game, one that you don't have to shovel money at all the time.

nothingclever
2008-02-03, 08:17 PM
What games would you people play instead of WoW?
All I play is Unreal Tournament 3 but I'd like to find a "good" mmo.

Prophaniti
2008-02-03, 09:00 PM
Well, as far as free MMOs go I play Guild Wars, Shaiya, RF Online and am trying Rappelz. They're all fun in their own way, and there's more out there still if any of these don't suit you. I haven't really settled on one yet to get down to some serious playing. Other games are more subject to what kind of games you like.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-02-03, 09:04 PM
No. The game's just a straight grind fest to 70, after which all you have to do is PVP and waste more of your life getting another level 70. And the PVP is based on whoever spends the most time getting gear wins. There's so many more games with better story, gameplay, graphics, thought stimulation, trategy etc. The game is a complete waste of life, IMO.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-02-03, 09:09 PM
No. The game's just a straight grind fest to 70, after which all you have to do is PVP and waste more of your life getting another level 70. And the PVP is based on whoever spends the most time getting gear wins. There's so many more games with better story, gameplay, graphics, thought stimulation, trategy etc. The game is a complete waste of life, IMO.

Well I really liked playing Lineage II but I don't have the money to buy it (I had a trial account for awhile)

warty goblin
2008-02-03, 09:19 PM
Well its not that I find WoW BORING, sometimes I'm disinterested, and sometimes I'm not, but I kind of find it hard to get back into WoW when i stop playing and I usually make a new character and start from there, and therein lies the problem I don't know if going through all that stuff is worth it, as I usually find it very hard to get back into characters i havent used in a long time.

Sounds like me and Medeival 2: Total War. I enjoy it while I play it, and I can usually keep playing it for about a week, but then I just lose steam, or want a bit of hands-on action, and play something else for a night, and just don't get back to M2TW for a few months.

The key difference is that I only had to pay once for M2TW, and if I was forced to keep paying for it, you can bet I'd stop in a minute. There's just other games I enjoy more, and other games I want to get more than I want to keep playing M2TW.

Which I suppose is another way to look at the question: is there something else you need/would rather use the money for? Some game you've been looking forward to for a few months, but can't quite afford? If so I'd definately drop the subscription and get the other game. If you feel like WoW again, you can always reactivate your account, and IIRC they store your characters for ever or so anyways. If there's nothing else you've been dying to get, this test is unfortunately less useful.

Shaiya
2008-04-01, 01:41 AM
Hmmm...
If i were you, i would skip WoW (Because why play a game you don't feel like playing?)

and start playing shaiya. xD
(shaiya.aeriagames.com)

But yeahhs, if you don't enjoy the game, or feel its getting a bit old or boring, you should try something new, and leave it for a while, a long while, then come back to it again and see if you enjoy it yet. if not, do something else again, and come back some other time. ^__^

Rutee
2008-04-01, 02:07 AM
Play as Mr. Moron advises, IMO. It's sound advice for the question.

Revlid
2008-04-01, 02:12 AM
In a word: No.

In a number of words: No, and you should be grateful that the god of MMOs has seen fit to release you from the vile curse known as WoW. :smallbiggrin:

However, if you still enjoy MMOs, you just feel apathetic about WoW (which is happening to more and more players these days) why not just try out a different one? WAR (http://www.warhammeronline.com/)is coming up for release, and the intriguing Champions Online (http://www.champions-online.com/) has recently been announced.

Or there are other, more established (released) MMOs. City of Heroes/Villains is probably inferior to Champions Online, and essentially a beat-em-up with few elements of actual heroism, but has the advantage of being currently out. Guild Wars or Hellgate: London are both fee-free MMOs, one based on PvP, the other on PvE. Lord of the Rings Online is out, too, and it sounds okay, from what I've heard.

Personally, I'm wating for WAR (Warhammer: Age of Reckoning/Warhammer Online)

ghost_warlock
2008-04-01, 02:25 AM
My enjoyment of WoW waxes and wanes.

My main is lvl 70 and doing the instance grind for gear, which can be a pain since I pretty much have to deal with constant PUG drama and people who want the same gear I do (such as a Latro's Shifting Sword, which a huntard recently rolled/won against me for because she 'wanted to dual-wield them').

As such, I mostly play WoW for the social aspect anymore...which is sad because I'm a bit annoyed with my guild right now. Socially, I like hanging out and chatting with my guildies. Whenever we actually play the game together, though, I feel the urge to reach through the computer and strangle them for sheer incompetence. They refuse to do research to prepare for instances, insist on sticking with terrible talent builds because they can't be bothered to spend 5G on re-spec'ing (warrior with 59/1/1 build with 5/5 in each of the weapon specializations), and frequently have terribly stat'd equipment (same warrior socketing for +Spirit because he could get blue Spirit gems cheap).

One of the few competent people in my guild is my cousin, although he's stubborn and sometimes runs with inefficient builds/gear simply because he doesn't want to do what everyone else is doing (nevermind that the reason a build is popular is because it's more effective/efficient at a given role). He's also prone to taking sudden, month-long vacations from the game.

One of the other people I used to frequently group with is an old college buddy. He recently had spring break so he leveled his main by about 13 levels, way past the highest-level alt I had that I could play with him. (My main is 70 but I have a gaggle of lvl 20-38 alts; my buddy just hit 43 and my next-highest alt is 51.)

I sometimes group with my gf when she plays her characters, in fact I have a number of characters I only play when grouping with her. Right now, she's playing the Sims 2 a lot more so those characters are resting, I guess. I figure I'll take a break from WoW, too, and screw around with my dusty old Sims until that gets old and then I'll log back into WoW. Or maybe I'll dust off my Fallout 2 disk and play that for a while to get into the spirit of things for FO3 this fall.

The Professor
2008-04-01, 02:31 AM
If you don't really enjoy it, don't play it. Simple as that. Having friends to play with, however, can make playing MMOs rather fun, however.

I currently play WoW, but that's 'cause I kinda enjoy it. I've been playing Warcraft games since Warcraft II at the age of six, and I love them all save for WoW. The storyline now sucks and is full of contradictions thanks to that crappy game and giving in to making more money at the cost immersion.

Aw well, it's what I get for being an avid roleplayer as well, I guess.

Chronicled
2008-04-01, 02:42 AM
As many people have said, WoW isn't worth the time or the money. I've been off for over a month (cold-turkey), and haven't missed it a bit. Not to mention, I have a friend who lost his scholarship due to WoW addiction :smallyuk:.

ghost_warlock
2008-04-01, 04:06 AM
Not to mention, I have a friend who lost his scholarship due to WoW addiction :smallyuk:.

Honestly, this sounds like less of an issue with the game and more of an issue of someone who has an addictive personality and doesn't know how to cope. I mean, if it hadn't been WoW it could easily have been EverQuest, alcohol, co-eds, or any number of other things he could have been addicted to that interrupted his studies. Learning proper time management is simply a vital skill that needs to be developed by those of us with obssessive/addictive tendencies.

A have a friend who had a similar situation; semester after semester he'd fall into the same routine: He'd attend class perfectly fine for the first few weeks of the semester and then meet some girl and get Involved. A month or so later, he'd propose and the girl would foolishly accept (seriously, who accepts a marriage proposal after knowing a guy for only a month?). Shortly thereafter, he'd stop going to class, expect the girl to hang out with him all the at his dorm/apartment, and play video games whenever she wasn't available (usually WoW, but sometimes FFX or whatever was popular at the time). After about a month of this the girl would move on to a less-sedentary guy and my friend would spend the rest of the semester moping about with a broken heart; skipping class, sleeping all day, and playing video games all night.

Do you blame the girls for 'breaking his heart' or him for not developing an appropriate relationship? After the third semester of him pulling this same trick, I pretty much lost all sympathy for him in this regard.

Sammich
2008-04-01, 05:29 AM
Private servers.

The Professor
2008-04-01, 06:49 AM
Private servers.

Know any that are RP-centric?

Hunter Noventa
2008-04-01, 06:53 AM
Private servers.

Are technically illegal and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Adumbration
2008-04-01, 07:25 AM
Hey, there's always the new bard class you could try out... it looks awesome!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/bard/bardclass.xml

Vael Nir
2008-04-01, 07:47 AM
nice! forgot to check blizzards april fools.

Sammich
2008-04-01, 10:19 AM
http://wow-europe.com/en/moltencore/

Mr. Scaly
2008-04-01, 10:44 AM
This is the exact problem with all MMORPGs. Sooner or later they get boring unless you've got people to play with.

Anteros
2008-04-01, 12:05 PM
Well just like any game, you're going to get out what you put in. Despite what many people (who don't actually seem to play the game any more) think, it is quite possible to treat the game as a non-grind, while still having fun. I generally spend my time on the game doing quests with friends or pvping in battlegrounds or arenas. I don't raid because I don't have the time or patience to sit at the computer for 5 hours in a row, but I am still viable in the other aspects of the game. There is a grind factor to the game, and obviously Cap'n He-man who spends 100 hours a week online and dual wields 2 handed swords of whup-ass is going to be better than you, but shouldn't he? In all honesty there are a million things to do, and if you feel the game is nothing but a grind, it is a problem with the player rather than the game.

Also, what people have said about the social aspect is completely true. The game is 1000x more interesting when you have friends online to group with. However, if you find yourself playing soley for the social interaction, you should probably just skip wow and go socialize with people first-hand.

But let's be honest. You already know whether or not you want to go back to the game. It's not exactly a life altering decision. So just go with your gut.

Jayngfet
2008-04-01, 02:00 PM
I play on and off again every few months, I mostly screw around, after all

mount:90 gold

healing items:a trip to the auction house and 50 gold

knowing you can do all that plus blow things up: priceless

for stupid people theres money, for everyone else, theres druids

the satisfaction of watching the underarmored priest and the magic free warrior die and wait for me to bring them back just keeps me there, but I am taking a month or two off

Chronicled
2008-04-02, 10:51 AM
Honestly, this sounds like less of an issue with the game and more of an issue of someone who has an addictive personality and doesn't know how to cope. I mean, if it hadn't been WoW it could easily have been EverQuest, alcohol, co-eds, or any number of other things he could have been addicted to that interrupted his studies. Learning proper time management is simply a vital skill that needs to be developed by those of us with obssessive/addictive tendencies.

A have a friend who had a similar situation; semester after semester he'd fall into the same routine: He'd attend class perfectly fine for the first few weeks of the semester and then meet some girl and get Involved. A month or so later, he'd propose and the girl would foolishly accept (seriously, who accepts a marriage proposal after knowing a guy for only a month?). Shortly thereafter, he'd stop going to class, expect the girl to hang out with him all the at his dorm/apartment, and play video games whenever she wasn't available (usually WoW, but sometimes FFX or whatever was popular at the time). After about a month of this the girl would move on to a less-sedentary guy and my friend would spend the rest of the semester moping about with a broken heart; skipping class, sleeping all day, and playing video games all night.

Do you blame the girls for 'breaking his heart' or him for not developing an appropriate relationship? After the third semester of him pulling this same trick, I pretty much lost all sympathy for him in this regard.

I'd agree, as the same friend was somewhat addicted to M:tG, but I have too many other friends who have suffered academically after they started playing. Since they were strong students before they started, and haven't had this problem with any other source of entertainment, I'm inclined to believe that WoW is more addicting than most (and my personal experience playing it supports this).

Albub
2008-04-02, 03:00 PM
The key to enjoying WoW is private servers. They're free, you can find ones that instantly have you at max level and make it possible to obtain any gear you want. You get to explore, fight, do whatever you want, basically wherever you want. There are even Blizz-like servers if you aren't into the instant 70 thing.

Khanderas
2008-04-03, 04:48 AM
I would say no.
No game should be something you force yourself to play.
If the first 20 levels dont pull you in making you WANT to play, don't play.

It is a loot/money/xp grind, and I like it. But if you dont, do not start playing and force yourself to get to the "end" because then you just look around, think "why did I bother" and lament the loss of the week (week as in 100 something hours) that you spent doing it.

Sensate
2008-04-03, 04:53 AM
I'd agree, as the same friend was somewhat addicted to M:tG, but I have too many other friends who have suffered academically after they started playing. Since they were strong students before they started, and haven't had this problem with any other source of entertainment, I'm inclined to believe that WoW is more addicting than most (and my personal experience playing it supports this).
Exactly. I haven't tried WoW, but for the sake of my already miserable success in uni, I'll do my best never to do so.

Maybe you can control it, maybe it'll get boring in a few months and your life will be back to normal, but why risk? You can lose so much, and there are plenty of better, less-addicting games around.

Khanderas
2008-04-03, 09:06 AM
The key to enjoying WoW is private servers. They're free, you can find ones that instantly have you at max level and make it possible to obtain any gear you want. You get to explore, fight, do whatever you want, basically wherever you want. There are even Blizz-like servers if you aren't into the instant 70 thing.
I don't really find that a good key to entertainment of WoW.
I mean yeah, you can give yourself everything in 10 mins, and any editor is fun to mess around with, but it is not the actual game IMO.

Sammich
2008-04-03, 10:40 AM
I got bored of WoW on a private server after a month or so. In fact, I'm bored of almost all games. Anything online puts me off simply because of the outrageous amount of immature players (I'm only 17 this year, I really shouldn't have to say this). Anything offline bores me too quickly because of the lack of interaction. The only games I'll play are with my friends.

Albub
2008-04-03, 04:11 PM
I don't really find that a good key to entertainment of WoW.
I mean yeah, you can give yourself everything in 10 mins, and any editor is fun to mess around with, but it is not the actual game IMO.

Well, I likely get better mileage out of it than most because I can get a bunch of friends together ('cause it's free) and we can go sap folks, but it's like the actual game once you're done the grind for 70. There are big raid groups and what have you constantly being organized for anyone into that, and Gurubashi has it's fair concentration of players. On top of that, it's not like you start with anything you could ever need. 10 minutes is a bit short of the mark. For a truly optimized character it can take as long as three hours, but usually spending an hour getting everything together and throwing gems into things leaves you with a semi-competitive character for PvP.

The main attraction for me is removing the grind.

The Orange Zergling
2008-04-03, 04:26 PM

They're also illegal.

Airk
2008-04-07, 05:09 PM
If you have to ask, the answer is probably "No."

Khanderas
2008-04-08, 01:49 AM
If you have to ask, the answer is probably "No."
Unless its your parents you have to ask :smallcool:

leperkhaun
2008-04-08, 02:31 AM
If you arnt sure, then probaly not.

On the other hand i dont play much, but i keep my account open so i can play when i want to. 15 bucks a month isnt alot of money.

If you are still intreasted in playing an MMO, WAR comes out this fall...Age of Conan is coming out sometime.

You might want to wait, then give those a try when they come out.

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-08, 09:24 PM
They're also illegal.

Sheriff of Moddingham: And we don't really discuss illegal/infringing activities here. Thread locked.