PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Druids

Pelfaid
2008-02-03, 10:55 PM
In a campaign I am running the druid has taken the shapeshifter variant from PHBII and I was wondering, given that she is wearing studded leather, does she lose the armor bonus granted from it when she shifts? Also would she return to full HP when she shifts like the wild shape ability?

The_Snark
2008-02-03, 11:02 PM
1. Yes, you lose your armor bonus while in shapeshift form. It melds into your body and becomes nonfunctional.

2. No. Actually, the standard druid doesn't return to full health when they wild shape either; they only recover hit points as if they'd rested for a night. But no, they do not recover any hit points for shapeshifting, because they can shapeshift at will.

Pelfaid
2008-02-03, 11:11 PM
That's what I was thinking, ideas on how she can improve her armor class then?

The_Snark
2008-02-03, 11:14 PM
Spells, I suppose. Barkskin and Halo of Sand from Sandstorm, if you have that. If other party members help out, Mage Armor, Cat's Grace, and Shield of Faith, too (Mage Armor is the best one, since it's low-level and lasts longest). But generally, the natural armor increase you get from the shapeshift form balances out the loss of armor.

sonofzeal
2008-02-03, 11:32 PM
"Wild" armor would still work, as well as the classic "change into a Dire/Legendary Ape and wear Large armor" approach. Beyond that.... yeah, spells are your best bet.

Crow
2008-02-03, 11:46 PM
Isn't "Legendary" a template?

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-03, 11:47 PM
Can a druid wear studded leather? I thought the studs were metal and thus not available to a druid (unless they are willing to take the penalties for wearing metal of course).

Zincorium
2008-02-04, 12:18 AM
Isn't "Legendary" a template?

Monster of Legend is a template.

Legendary Ape is a creature from the MM2. In this case, 'Legendary' is the same as Dire, all the creatures under it's description have unique stats rather than being the result of a template.

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 12:46 AM
Can a druid wear studded leather? I thought the studs were metal and thus not available to a druid (unless they are willing to take the penalties for wearing metal of course).

I'm not sure about the RAW, but I've allowed Druids to wear studded leather. Don't think of the studs as specifically metal - they could be bits of iron ore (non-smelted for compliance with the code), bone, stones, horn, or anything else natural and hard.

Leon
2008-02-04, 07:19 PM
"Wild" armor would still work, as well as the classic "change into a Dire/Legendary Ape and wear Large armor" approach.

None of those apply to a Shapeshift Druid

EloquentRune
2008-02-04, 07:23 PM
Studded Leather can studded with things other than metal. yes legendary is a template in the back of the MMII

wadledo
2008-02-04, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure about the RAW, but I've allowed Druids to wear studded leather. Don't think of the studs as specifically metal - they could be bits of iron ore (non-smelted for compliance with the code), bone, stones, horn, or anything else natural and hard.

In Races of the Wild they ave a number of druid friendly armors.
For the most part it's just masterwork versions of leather and chain.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-04, 08:30 PM
what race best benefits a druid?
like, what semi powerful race could i have that would benefit a druid?

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 08:39 PM
what race best benefits a druid?
like, what semi powerful race could i have that would benefit a druid?

The Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400) suggests Humans, Strongheart Halflings, Shifters, Buomman, Ghostwise Halflings, and several others. It also has everything else you need to play a well-optimized Druid.

Crow
2008-02-04, 09:47 PM
The Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400) suggests Humans, Strongheart Halflings, Shifters, Buomman, Ghostwise Halflings, and several others. It also has everything else you need to play a well-optimized Druid.

Damn, I was really hoping to check that out, but Websense blocked it.

Poo.