PDA

View Full Version : Something that popped into my head

Rowanomicon
2008-02-04, 12:28 PM
The King knew what was to be done for the boy had not been in his room last night. Shaking his head King Anlath serched his mind for another solution. He did not like it, but he knew that this was the only way.
"Send the prince in."
The servant was silent, but nodded gravely and left the room.
The boy entered walking slowly, but confidently and always with his eyes locked onto the King's.
"My son, I am sorry. I love you, as I have always loved you, I hope you know that and I hope you can understand. I must do what I must do. You are no longer the son I raise; you are a monster. It is for your own good."
The King drew his sword, the ancient Sword of Kings.
"Father," the boy spoke in the same tone as the King: that of a wise old man speaking to a pittiable and ignorant child, "I understand. One must do what one must. That is the only way. Thangs can only be one way," he laid his left hand on his father's right shoulder as if to comfort him, "it is sad."
For a moment they were still and silent.
Suddenly the boy's fingers extended into claws. The King gasped in pain as his flesh was pierced and his face filled with pain and terror as his sword arm was rended clean from his body.
Picking up the Sword of King's the boy, now simply a boy again, ran it through his father abdomen. The terror and pain in the King's face turned to peace and acceptance as his eyes lost the light of life and his body fell limp on the floor.
His head hit the floor and the crown rang loud upon the rocks rolling in a circle before falling flat. The boy picked it up.
Now, wearing the ancient crown and carrying the ancient sword he walked out of the Throne Room and past the servant's dead body.

Not sure about anything really, but that scene just popped into my head yesterday.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-06, 11:03 AM
More has popped into my head. This is a kind of interesting experience.

"It must be done." The boy had heard the words the night before. They were spoken by the King to the other man in the dark hall.
"Are you certain my brother?" Had been the response.
"You heard her scream as well as I did, Genon, as well as the whole keep must have," The King shuddered at the thought of that blood curdling scream that had torn him, and the others, from sleep. "And the boy-"
"Your son."
"My... my son," Turning his head away and looking down as if to fight off tears King Anlath was silent for a moment, "He was not in his room."
The other, taller, man sighed as if to concede the point. "Not that I question your judgment brother, I promised I never would, but are you sure this si the right thing to do? He is but a boy."
"His coming of age ceremony has last month, Genon, you were there. He is a man now."
"That is true," Genon chewed idly on his lip for a moment, "but he is as an egg that has freshly become a bird and not yet learned how to be a bird, to hunt, and fly, and build a nest of its own."
There was silence for moment more then the King spoke, softly this time, "It must be done," and without further words the two brothers has parted ways and gone back to their rooms though neither would sleep anymore that night.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-02-06, 12:52 PM
Instead of making 2 posts you should have just edited the first one. Although I'm unsure of why such a scene would pop into you're head. I must delve into this furthur.:smalltongue:

Rowanomicon
2008-02-06, 03:53 PM
Aww, you got my hopes all up that because someone had responded to this and all you say is "don't double post."
I double posted because it was not directly after the first post (so the update would move the thread up in the forum) and it was something separate from the first scene that popped into my head. Anyway, I could have edited it in, whatever.

As to why something like that might pop into my head. I guess that's just how the creative process goes sometimes. You may find something even if you're not looking for it.

EDIT: I s'pose I need a name for the Prince...

Keris
2008-02-06, 06:04 PM
Nice setup, now you just need to write a trilogy about the three plucky companions who defeat the evil prince. :smalltongue:
Keep posting more snippets as they come to you.

Also, Book of Tree Names? Book of the Names of Rowan? Or just Book of Rowan?

Rowanomicon
2008-02-06, 06:52 PM
Haha, yeah, I wonder how this story will turn out. I'm not sure if the Prince is actually evil yet.

There's one more short snippet in my head.

Are you referring to my sig? My username is Rowanomicon (I normally use Rowan, but it was taken) which just (kinda) means "book of Rowan," kinda like "necronomicon." See?
There is no Book of Rowan, sadly. Or rather it is being written passage by passage as I post on these forums.
The joke was that my imaginary religion, of which I have been the god since EE discovered my divinity:smalltongue:, has a holy book that just happens to have direct passages that can serve perfectly as responses to all the threads I post in.

The boy knocked on the large wooden door of the small cabin that was set away from the castle, near the orchard, in the courtyard.
Almost immediately the door opened and his uncle Genon stood there, tall as ever. The boy had only recently grown taller than his own father, who was slightly taller than the average man, but his uncle still towered half a foot above him.
"Kallin!" The old man gasped as he saw his nephew holding the bloody Sword of Kings in one hand and the empty crown in the other.
Prince Kallin walked in and laid his burdens on the table before he sat down and buried his head in his hands.
"What happened?" inquired his uncle, coming to the Prince's side.
"My father is dead," The boy's voice was half a whisper, half a whine, "The monster killed him... with his own sword."
There was silence between the two of them. The old man seemed to be mulling over what the boy said and deciding how to respond. Finally he says, "And what of the monster?"
"I-," The boy began, but faltered, "I slew it. It was Ortham, the servant. He turned back into his human form after death."
"So it would seem," The man said in a tone that sounded almost ironic, "that we are free of the cursed beast at last."
"Yes," The boy agreed, "and you- you are King."
At this the boy picked up the crown and presented it to his uncle who reeled away slightly and did not take it. Instead he spoke, "No, I turned that offer down years ago."

Genon had been just over a decade older than his brother Anlath and, being the eldest son of his father, the King, would have taken the throne. However, he declined and, since he had a brother who, at the time of their father's death, was also of an appropriate age to take the throne, it was possible for him to live his simply life while his brother ruled. Anlath, being much more ambitious than his elder brother, was eager to take the throne, but made Genon swear, by their dead father, never to question his judgment as King or threaten his ruling power. Genon had wanted nothing but a simple life tending to the royal orchard and wandering through the royal forest so he built himself a small cabin near both orchard and forest.

"You must!" The boy pushed the crown at his uncle with both hands now, but his uncle would not take it. "I cannot rule, I am but a boy."
"You are a man now Kallin. You came of age last month. The throne is rightfully yours as the only heir to your father."
"I know," The boy concede, "but I- I cannot!" And with those words he dropped the crown on the floor and hid his face in his hands once more. Now, his stoic strength broken, he wept.
For a time the man simply watched the boy weep then, saying nothing, he picked up the crown.
At this the boy look up at him and, without a word, walked out of the cabin.
Genon would take the throne he had never wanted.

Keris
2008-02-06, 07:15 PM
And here I was thinking this was just a setting...
How old is "coming of age"? For a story aimed at modern youth, it's usually around 17, while in historic cultures it was more like 10.

Necronomicon is the Book of Dead Names, not the Book of the Dead, so Rowanonicon would be Book of [Rowan] Names.
Necrotelenomicon = Book of Dead Phone numbers. :P

Lyinginbedmon
2008-02-06, 07:22 PM
Book of Rowan Names?

Umm....Atkinson! :smallbiggrin:

Eita
2008-02-06, 07:25 PM
Haha, yeah, I wonder how this story will turn out. I'm not sure if the Prince is actually evil yet.

There's one more short snippet in my head.

Are you referring to my sig? My username is Rowanomicon (I normally use Rowan, but it was taken) which just (kinda) means "book of Rowan," kinda like "necronomicon." See?
There is no Book of Rowan, sadly. Or rather it is being written passage by passage as I post on these forums.
The joke was that my imaginary religion, of which I have been the god since EE discovered my divinity:smalltongue:, has a holy book that just happens to have direct passages that can serve perfectly as responses to all the threads I post in.

Now, we have no idea what the ":smalltongue:" hieroglyphic means, but it has been acknowledged as a symbol of his divinity alongside :smallmad: ,:smallfurious: ,:smallfrown: ,:smalleek: ,:smallcool: ,:smallyuk: ,:smallconfused: ,:smallwink: ,:smallbiggrin: ,:smallannoyed: ,:smallsmile: ,:smallamused: ,:smallsigh: ,and :smallredface:. Collectively, they have been called the Fifteen Smilies of Rowan. However, note the above passage as it proves his divinity and his foresight. Deleted from this snippet of the Book of Rowan is a passage oh the ancient past deemed too holy for mundane eyes.

Keris
2008-02-06, 08:01 PM
"Book of Dead Names" is itself a misnomer:

What is intended is the control and working of the dead through sourcery of corpses... the title was not Necronomicon but Al Azif, signifying the sound of insects heard in the night.
The book actually deals with the Old Ones, Alhazred being a follower of Nyarlathotep.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-06, 10:45 PM
Book of Rowan Names?

Umm....Atkinson! :smallbiggrin:

You, sire, win a cookie.

EDIT: As for how old the Prince is, I don't know. Somewhere in his teens seems right, but that's a pretty big gap, I know.