PDA

View Full Version : Good Mundane Gear?

Swooper
2008-02-04, 01:46 PM
I was fiddling around with the equipment list of a character (Psion//Warblade 1) I made for an upcoming game. Since I changed my weapon of choice from greatsword to glaive, I had some leftover cash. I went through the equipment list in the PHB, and still had some leftover. Out of curiousity, I paged through some other source books I thought might have some useful gear and managed to add at least some useful stuff to it. I then thought of asking you playgrounders, what are some of your favourite pieces of mundane gear? What should no adventurer leave home without? I'm particularly interested in stuff from outside the PHB, since there's a smattering of equipment in a lot of source books that's hard to keep your head around.

Hunter Noventa
2008-02-04, 01:48 PM
I don't have anything specific to mention, but Dungeonscape, Complete Adventurer + Scoundrel and the old Arms and Equipment guide have some excellent random gear, from totally mundane and useless, to fun and don't forget alchemical items either.

shaggz076
2008-02-04, 01:50 PM
I personally like the hamock. Enemies are always looking for tents and sleeping bags. Set it up high enough and they'd walk right past you. lol

AKA_Bait
2008-02-04, 01:58 PM
Honestly, as lame as it sounds, 100 ft. of Silk Rope.

No joke. It can save your life.

wormwood
2008-02-04, 02:04 PM
I really liked the springwall from Arms & Equipment (i think). Nifty little gadget. Also, you need a 10' pole.

Telonius
2008-02-04, 02:07 PM
Rope is my first choice too. Oil, hooded lantern, chalk, caltrops, signal whistle, crowbar, and grappling hook follow quickly, and in that order. If you have a haversack or bag of holding, get all of that stuff as soon as possible. (I'm assuming you already have the ultra-basic stuff like bedroll, backpack, rations, tent, flint/steel). If you have the gold for it, get one of each for the rest of the mundane items. Every single thing on that list can be useful in the right circumstances. So get to it, MacGyver.

TheElfLord
2008-02-04, 02:16 PM
I have to third the rope. As Sam said, you should never leave home without it.

ealan
2008-02-04, 02:22 PM
Well after two or three levels, ussually with enough GP I buy a Harversak and 1+ of every piece of mundane equipment from scoundrel+PHB+Adventurer, and I guess there is a point I'll be adding the odd Arms and Equip book to that, but I like rogue trapsmiths, and having the random stuff for an ingenues trap is nice, and signal whistles have 4 of them, cause someone is going to fail their preform check to whistle or do their bird call when the trap should go off.

Seffbasilisk
2008-02-04, 02:22 PM
Earthsilk Jersey.

Very good for anyone without DR.

Races of Stone. PG 160.

Costs 150gp though, so might be outta reach.

Crimson Avenger
2008-02-04, 02:25 PM
You can never have enough rope.....or tangle foot bags. I've seen a sorcerer with Launch Item drop a dragon out of the sky because of a failed Reflex save. Yup, rope and tangle foot bags.

JellyPooga
2008-02-04, 02:38 PM
A tent (Honey Leather, from RotW, for preference)...no amount of rope will keep the rain off whilst you're trying to sleep in bad weather.

Spare clothes (including bad weather gear) for when you want to make a better impression than every other smelly adventurer or want not to die from hypothermia in bad weather.

Cooking gear (including cutlery) so that you can have hot food...when it's freezing cold, there's nothing better than a hot meal instead of cold trail rations to make yourself more comfortable and warm yourself up.

A bottle of strong alcohol (whiskey or rum is my personal preference)...see above comments on being comfortable in cold weather...also good for buttering up chance encounters with suspicious travellers who may have knowledge of the local area/road ahead.

Boot polish...no-one likes having wet feet...actually, full kit/self maintenance gear (needle and thread to repair minor tears in clothes, oil, whetstone and abrasives to keep armour and weapons in good nick, hairbrush/comb, razor, mirror, shaving soap, towel/drying rag and anything else you can think of that is needed for personal hygeine or maintenance of your gear)

A Spade (not a shovel)...when setting up camp for the night, no-one wants to smell your...uh...leavings. Also useful for digging up treasure under big X's.

Fridesgerte
2008-02-04, 02:54 PM
You can never have enough rope.....or tangle foot bags. I've seen a sorcerer with Launch Item drop a dragon out of the sky because of a failed Reflex save. Yup, rope and tangle foot bags.

I completely agree on the tanglefoot bags. We kept a dragon from casting its spells until we could cast ours when our paladin chucked three tanglefoot bags at it from much too close range in the dragon's lair. We killed it, too. Since then, my PC is never without them.

TheThan
2008-02-04, 02:54 PM
This is the usual gear I take as a 1st level character.
Backpack
Bed roll
Winter blanket
Rations, trail x10
Water skin
Flint & steel
Rope-silk (50ft min)
Grappling hook
Weapons and armor (if applicable)

Gear I also will take if I have left over cash.
Tent
Caltrops
Tinder twigs
Oil/holy water
Lanern, hooded
Scroll case

This is just the equipment in the PHB though.

Things like the spade, the camping equipment and what not are nice, unfortunately there aren’t any rules for them, and most of them don’t need rules anyway, at least not for dnd. It does help Verisimilitude though.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-04, 03:22 PM
AH.....such noobs these people be...you got the obvious but must not be old school...:smalltongue:

j/k...

A couple of items...an adventurer should never leave home without if they can help it.

A silvered dagger (arrows or silver swords are just too expensive, but a silver dagger is usually a good price and a worthwhile investment...those pesky lycanthropes...can't always rely on a magic weapon)

A handful of iron spikes - Cold iron spikes that is...never be too careful about fey. Cheap, and a nice way to be sure if you come across some fey that they won't be too much of a problem. Also useful as a fighter's 'hold portal' when combined with the business end of a small warhammer...or even as a 'ladder' in some circumstances.

extra oil - slightly mentioned above...while oil is standard for lanterns...rarely do people keep a good supply of extra oil for those times when pyromania is a valid defense. Oil is the poor man's grease spell combined with wall of fire.

Vial of acid - so many uses...just be sure that you store it in a spot where it won't break. Might be relegated to extradimensional storage only. Examples include a poor fighter's lockpick, time delay rope release, interrogation enhancer.

A sealed bottle with some water and a chunk of rotting meat - However disturbing this sounds, you may need to put someone out of comission without hurting them really...mix in some extra water with the foul water and then into a larger barrel of water to 'poison' your target, or into some wine/ale. Food poisoning will be full on in short order with the person decidedly out of action and in need of healers.

Healer's kit - bonus to heal checks...everyone should know first aid...extra bandages and wake up stuff, generic antivenom...great for when you are messed up at the end of a day and the cleric will be out of spells for a day...or there is not enough healing to get to everyone with just one day of rest/re-spell.

chalk - you need at least one.

Signet ring - they are cheap enough...a good discreet calling card that you will get some use out of. Great for leaving a stamp that you were there without eeryone always knowing it was you.

paper, pen, ink - aside from the obvious with writing notes, and maps...ink, while expensive, is a great way to blind people or to create some form of stain that will last. I mean...you want some tatts...right? :smallbiggrin:

Others have covered most of the other normal items that one should have available when adventuring...between you and your party, there should be a stock of these items at hand.

SilentNight
2008-02-04, 04:00 PM
The Thief's cap, I think from arms and equipment guide is a nice cheap +1 to listen checks. Also the adamantine tool kit from the last issue of Dragon magazine if you have it. It allows the user to remove the lock from any object with a hardness less than twenty. Effectively bypassing it.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-04, 05:10 PM
Skill kits. 50gp per kit gives you +2 on any skill you might want or need. Masterwork earplugs for those defensive castings and psychic focus Concenstration Checks, A masterwork field book for a +2 on knowledge checks or whatever it is that you need to be all you can be.

Theli
2008-02-04, 05:52 PM
Note regarding the base +2 to skill item, a caveat was made:

Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.

Note the (if any) clause. A DM is free to limit the availability of any such item regarding any skill which doesn't already have such an item explicitly defined elsewhere.

You can come up with all sorts of things that could conceivable help any possible skill. But that doesn't mean that the DM must accept it.

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-04, 06:02 PM
I'll second most stuff on this thread, but I'd like to add a few specifics:
from dungeonscape
Rubber Ball
Lard
Flour Pouch
Acid Neutralizer
Finder's Chalk and Finder's Glass
Adamantine (or iron) Drill
Adamantine (or iron) hacksaw
Mithral & silk grappling hook (or even better: Mithral & Silk grappling ladder)

From Complete Scoundrel
Torch Bug Tube/Paste
Rust Monster Wand (no more pick lock checks)
Hidden Spaces and Blades*

* - while not technically items in their own right, these are amazing to have if you are afraid you'll get caught "without" your stuff or frisked.

Grynning
2008-02-04, 06:06 PM
I also will bump the rope. Charlie Bronson's always got a rope!
Another excellent and often overlooked item is the steel mirror. Groom yourself, look around corners or obstacles while keeping your cover, use it to signal for help when there's sunlight, and maybe even bounce back a gaze attack.
Oh, and the crowbar! Very helpful if you need to open something and you have a party where almost everyone dumped strength (which happened to one of my groups once). Also useful as an improvised weapon.

Newtkeeper
2008-02-04, 06:13 PM
Rope(elven is great, from Races of the Wild- like silk, only better), tent (honey-leather is great), cooking gear (seriously, far too many PCs forget that), warm cloak, shovel (collapsible, for preference), everburning torch (quite apart from lighting up surroundings, it makes fire-starting easy. For when you need dark, get a metal tin you can cover it with).

Food is always nice, as are waterskins. If you have a ranger or druid (or a wand of create food/water) these become less critical, but are still nice.

A hip-flask may give you no mechanical benefit, but makes for some great RP opportunities.

Oh, and a ten-foot pole. When your rogue is out cold, some method of springing traps is useful. Extra credit if you buy a 10-foot ladder (for less cost) and disassemble it for parts).

EDIT: Oh, and if you can carry the weight, bring a bag of flour. It can reveal invisible foes, create a smokescreen, and, when empty, make a decent hood.

Arbitrarity
2008-02-04, 06:35 PM
Flour is hilarious in dark corridors, if you can convince your DM to allow some physics.

"I toss the flour in a cloud behind us, and run"
"O..k... the enemies, carrying torches, chase after you"
"With torches, you say?"
"Yes..."
":smallcool:"

Chronos
2008-02-04, 07:27 PM
everburning torch (quite apart from lighting up surroundings, it makes fire-starting easy.That one doesn't work. An everburning torch is just a stick that has Continual Flame cast on it, and Continual Flame produces no heat.

John Campbell
2008-02-04, 08:33 PM
Also, you need a 10' pole.

No, he doesn't. He's got a glaive.

FlyMolo
2008-02-04, 08:52 PM
I'll have to second the masterwork tools. You should buy one for every skill you put ranks in. They might be hard to find in a country bumpkin hamlet or village, but in a big city they'll be everywhere. Best of all, they make sense. Guitar picks, spatulas, good cooking pots, camo paint, etc etc etc. All really exist. War paint for intimidate, etc etc.

TempusCCK
2008-02-04, 08:59 PM
I throw on a vote for rope, never leave home without it. Torches are a must, more versatile than a latern and cheaper.

I also throw a vote in for the crowbar. Pitons are ridiculously useful for all sorts of things, not excluding your pulled-it-out-of-my-rear rope bridge over that chasm for the losers who can't make the jump.

AslanCross
2008-02-04, 09:23 PM
PHB 2 has a Standard Adventurer's kit that only costs 15 GP.
-Backpack
-Belt Pouch
-Bedroll
-Flint and Steel
-Hempen Rope (50 ft)
-Two Sunrods
-10 days' trail rations
-Waterskin

sonofzeal
2008-02-04, 09:44 PM
Tower Shield. Even if you're not proficient, the ability to take Total Cover at a moment's notice is a good thing.

Chronicled
2008-02-04, 11:41 PM
From the Arms and Equipment Guide, the Signal Torches (can be bought at any color desired, 1g/torch) and Instant Rope (pour out the vial to have rope in 2 rounds, 25g/vial) can be quite handy.

Theli
2008-02-04, 11:44 PM
Instant...rope? :smallconfused:

THE MIND BOGGLES!!!

hylian chozo
2008-02-05, 12:22 AM
Smokesticks are amazingly useful and if you can get tindertwigs use those too. Caltrops are also great if you toss them into a narrow corridor (or smokescreen:smallwink: ). I think acid bypasses the hardness on objects so that can be useful. Alchemist fire is a must for large groups of enemies. Almost any alchemical item is great for non-casters.

Solo
2008-02-05, 12:56 AM
Instant...rope? :smallconfused:

THE MIND BOGGLES!!!

Great for bedroom activities.

Demented
2008-02-05, 05:35 AM
Instant rope? That's nothing that spiders haven't done before.

Swooper
2008-02-05, 05:43 AM
Earthsilk Jersey.

Very good for anyone without DR.

Races of Stone. PG 160.

Costs 150gp though, so might be outta reach.
Incidentally, doesn't the Earthsilk jersey have an error in it's description? It says DR 1/Slashing or Bludgeoning, and then that it tears if it takes a Piercing damage crit. Shouldn't the DR be 1/Piercing then?

Theli
2008-02-05, 09:13 AM
Instant rope? That's nothing that spiders haven't done before.

But this is from a vial...

Madness!

Swooper
2008-02-05, 09:20 AM
But this is from a vial...

Madness!
It makes more sense if you think of toothpaste.

No, really.

Theli
2008-02-05, 09:34 AM
It makes more sense if you think of toothpaste.

No, really.

No, not really...

I'm sorry, but rope from a tube is a line I just cannot cross. I have SOME standards.

Swooper
2008-02-05, 09:41 AM
"Mom! Do you know how much toothpaste is in a tube?"
"No, I don't"
"Five and a half metres!"

Grab a toothpaste tube, squeeze it to draw a line on the ground. Now, imagine the toothpaste being some alchemical concoction that hardens into a solid rubbery substance when exposed to air. Then, go and clean up the toothpaste.:smalltongue:

If that doesn't work... A wizard did it! :smallamused:

Chronicled
2008-02-05, 09:53 AM
I've also found good use for the Hearthfire cubes from RoS (get them wet and they act as a blue torch), and the already mentioned hidden boot/wrist blade (CS). My favorite one might have to be the custom masterwork tools rules, and using them to get mirrored glasses for a +2 to Bluff (I ended up having the character look like the Man with No Eyes from Cool Hand Luke :smallbiggrin:).

RagnaroksChosen
2008-02-05, 11:10 AM
Small steel Mirror...

the one time i didn't bring it party wipe.

Jimbob
2008-02-05, 11:28 AM
Blessed Bandage from MIC instanly stabilizes some one and for 10gp I never leave home or the local tavern with out them.

graymachine
2008-02-05, 01:06 PM
Listen not to these foul creatures that speak of the beneficience of rope; it is a foul lie from the deepest pit. These damned souls are polluted by the unclean touch of rope; notice how their eyes stare like tiny black jewels, like a child that you know is empty on the inside. Oh, the Humanity! Use your own two hands to climb things until you can afford Immovable Rods; it may be very trying, but at least your soul will remain clean!

:smalltongue:

hylian chozo
2008-02-05, 02:08 PM
Listen not to these foul creatures that speak of the beneficience of rope; it is a foul lie from the deepest pit. These damned souls are polluted by the unclean touch of rope; notice how their eyes stare like tiny black jewels, like a child that you know is empty on the inside. Oh, the Humanity! Use your own two hands to climb things until you can afford Immovable Rods; it may be very trying, but at least your soul will remain clean!

:smalltongue:

Get a ring of climbing. Or bring a ladder. Just don't blame me when you need to cross a gorge and there is tree on the other side.

Newtkeeper
2008-02-05, 03:17 PM
Just don't blame me when you need to cross a gorge and there is tree on the other side.

I nearly forgot! Grappling hook!

EDIT:And, with that *very* consequential post, I become a halfling.

EDITEDIT: Should I be ashamed my edit was longer than my post?

Indon
2008-02-05, 03:47 PM
My favorite non-magical bit of gear is also one of the most expensive non-magical bits of gear - the spyglass, at a whopping 1,000 gold.

Generally, it won't come up unless your DM plays strict RAW, but if he does, it's pretty nice.

By RAW, a person gets a cumulative +1 penalty to Spot for every 10 feet he is from what he's trying to spot. The spyglass halves this, giving a +1 penalty per 20 feet.

Lycar
2008-02-05, 04:01 PM
All good stuff has been mentioned but i'd like to point out the awesomeness that is a smokestick:

Instant concealment! Surrounded by rogues? Pop some smoke and smile while you cleave into the cowards as they futily try to hit your kidneys!

(Sneak attacks are impossible vs. targets with concealment).

One not of caution though: While smoke blocks line of sight, it does NOT block line of effect. And an enemy wizard might be able to figure out where to place ground zero for his fireball/meteor swarm...

Lycar

John Campbell
2008-02-05, 05:48 PM
By RAW, a person gets a cumulative +1 penalty to Spot for every 10 feet he is from what he's trying to spot.
Which is ludicrous, because it means that you can't see, e.g., the sun, because you have a -49 billion penalty on your Spot check...

Theli
2008-02-05, 05:49 PM
Maybe the sun just has a -49 billion hide?

Voyager_I
2008-02-05, 06:04 PM
It must make sports a lot harder when you can't see from one end of the field to the other.

Theli
2008-02-05, 06:13 PM
I insist that the world willingly chooses to fail its hide checks.

Demented
2008-02-05, 07:04 PM
If you feel like it, by RAW, the penalty applies ONLY when determining the distance an encounter occurs.

Otherwise there's a set maximum distance at which you can see things depending on the environment, and your spot check ignores distance up until that point. Though, in some cases, distance will enhance a hide check.

Akennedy
2008-02-05, 10:17 PM
Flour is hilarious in dark corridors, if you can convince your DM to allow some physics.

"I toss the flour in a cloud behind us, and run"
"O..k... the enemies, carrying torches, chase after you"
"With torches, you say?"
"Yes..."
":smallcool:"

Just because I'm curious... What exactly does flour do to fire? I'm only going to assume it puts it out? but... I may know less than i think i know...

tyckspoon
2008-02-05, 10:20 PM
Just because I'm curious... What exactly does flour do to fire? I'm only going to assume it puts it out? but... I may know less than i think i know...

Very fine particulates- like, say, flour dust or bits of grain- tend to burn very rapidly and energetically. Which is to say, they explode. You can touch off a grain silo easily if you don't vacuum it out carefully.

ladditude
2008-02-05, 10:49 PM
Just because he has a glaive doesn't mean he should forgo a 10ft pole. Somethings will take away, break, or disintegrate your glaive, and then you will be weaponless. Always take a 10ft pole.

Also, Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks in case of trolls...

hylian chozo
2008-02-05, 11:02 PM
Just because he has a glaive doesn't mean he should forgo a 10ft pole. Somethings will take away, break, or disintegrate your glaive, and then you will be weaponless. Always take a 10ft pole.

Also, Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks in case of trolls...

Not just trolls, alchemist's fire works well on anything that may catch on fire if it fails a reflex save. And acid ignores hardness of objects.

Chronos
2008-02-05, 11:43 PM
And acid ignores hardness of objects.This was clarified in an errata: When the rules say that acid does full damage to objects, they mean no dividing by 2 or 4 (as you would for fire or cold damage). Hardness still applies.

However, if you want to houserule otherwise, go right ahead.

Alleine
2008-02-06, 12:12 AM
If you are short a rogue, puppies will do in a pinch.
A bagful of puppies can be very handy.

The Faceless
2008-02-06, 12:36 AM
Forget the ten foot pole, the almighty collapsible 15 foot pole is what you want. It was in song and silence, but it might have been reprinted in one of the completes. Reaches switches further away and folds down to a handy one foot length for easy storage and getting through small spaces.

Take a dagger. Always take a dagger. A small knife is amazingly versatile.

Formal and casual clothes should be a part of every adventurers kit. Despite what the cliche pictures you may have seen told you, plate armor and skintight leather is not suitable for every occasion, and long flowing elaborate robes can get tangled up in the field rather easily. Also, if you are a cleric, for the love of whatever deity you worship, get some vestments.

Also, don't neglect ropes younger, but equally useful, brother: String.

Lycar
2008-02-06, 01:33 AM
Maybe the sun just has a -49 billion hide?

Dare to compute the size modifier of the sun? :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Chronicled
2008-02-06, 02:09 AM
If you are short a rogue, puppies will do in a pinch.
A bagful of puppies can be very handy.

Particularly if the bag of puppies is combined with a Haste spell.

Talic
2008-02-06, 02:22 AM
Dare to compute the size modifier of the sun? :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Colossal. That's the largest size category in D&D. By RAW, nobody can see the sun.

Theli
2008-02-06, 10:06 AM
Colossal. That's the largest size category in D&D. By RAW, nobody can see the sun.

Correction. Colossal +.

And that's only for creatures. Just because no maximum size category is given for objects, doesn't mean that they all most be equal in size or smaller than Colossal +.

And it's not just the size, it's also the horrible circumstance modifier of being the brightest object conceivable to the typical commoner. Don't underestimate the power of the circumstance modifier!

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-06, 10:56 AM
Forget the ten foot pole, the almighty collapsible 15 foot pole is what you want. It was in song and silence, but it might have been reprinted in one of the completes. Reaches switches further away and folds down to a handy one foot length for easy storage and getting through small spaces.
Its in Dungeonscape.

Take a dagger. Always take a dagger. A small knife is amazingly versatile.
Ah yes! How could I forget the adamantine dagger!

ShinyRocks
2008-02-06, 11:09 AM
I am what one might call a n00b for D&D - I've really only played the computer games where mundane equipment is irrelevant.

But: a 10-ft pole? I see how it would be useful but...please tell me it's collapsible.

13_CBS
2008-02-06, 11:13 AM
Dehydration (or was it hydration?) suit from Sandstorm. Handy in a desert situation, and come on: still suits. Freaking Still Suits in D&D. That, plus its cool appearance makes it a winner for me.

Oh, and those black glass eye gear from Sandstorm. Sunglasses! :smallcool:

Indon
2008-02-06, 11:31 AM
Which is ludicrous, because it means that you can't see, e.g., the sun, because you have a -49 billion penalty on your Spot check...

Except for times when the sun has cover, it can't make a hide check.

Though, be careful for those eclipses.

Deepblue706
2008-02-06, 02:28 PM
Don't ever forget a mirror, a bell, a shovel, or some chalk.