PDA

View Full Version : Running in the Playground

hippie_dwarf
2008-02-04, 02:43 PM
Along time ago in a galaxy pretty close and friend and I decided that in the interest of us not doing much exercise, it'd be a good idea that we started to do some running. So we did, and it was pretty succesful. We started off doing 2 laps around our local field every day and over about 6 or 7 months got it up to a 1.75 (ish) mile run that we did with relative ease, if I do say so myself.

Then of course exams and winter came and we stopped. Now that we haven't got the pressure of exams and the weather is getting better we have started again. Needless to say we're not as capable as we were.

As a goal to keep us going until we get back into the swing of it we've entered a 3 mile sports relief run on the 16th of march. It's going to be hard, our current route is about 1 and a quarter miles so we have to improve alot in not that a long a time.

I was wondering if people with experience with this kind of thing had any advice. We've so far kept to things that are just common sense and what we've picked up in the past but there is bound to be someone out there who can tell us something we don't know.

Of particular note things to do with how to graduate increasing the length of our run until we get it up to 3 miles, running technique, things to do that will make the run easier and pretty much anything that you think will help.

Cheers for all your help, anything will help and will be appreciated.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-04, 02:49 PM
Could you compare running to cycling, becouse I almost never 'run' but I cycle more then 18ish km. every. day. if not more.

Amotis
2008-02-04, 02:50 PM
I wonder how many posters remember this guy :smalltongue::

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/mslqe.gif

rubakhin
2008-02-04, 02:59 PM
I don't really know anything about running, in a straight line, on flat ground. :smallamused: (Seems kind of pointless to me.) If any of you want to do something like parkour or free running though, this site (http://www.americanparkour.com/) is pretty useful. There are also some great exercises for warmups and such somewhere on the site that people who run conventionally may find useful.

de-trick
2008-02-04, 03:04 PM
I ran in track last year, but then it ended and I can barely run a couple of blocks (was running 2-3 mile a day) But track seasons coming soon so I'll start running soon:smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2008-02-04, 03:05 PM

ooo...I do; he's my hero :smalltongue:

Semidi
2008-02-04, 03:09 PM
I used to run. A lot. This was years ago before I hurt my knee and hip running (too much). Here's the best advice I could ever give about running:
1) Run every day. Take one day off for rest if you need it, but on the day of rest, work out. Don't do anything extreme, but I found something as small as sit-ups, push-ups, and other stuff like that, helped a lot. I wouldn't advice weight lifting really. Don’t stop for even two days, because you’ll find you’re at square one again.
2) Run some more.
3) How about running some more?
4) The only real way to increase you mileage is to actually do it. Run a mile, stretch, do some push ups and sit ups, run another mile and so on. Oh yeah, you're going to be sore. It's part of the gig. The real point is, you should always be challenging yourself.
5) Worry and don't worry about how fast you're going. If you're barely crawling along, you'll train yourself to barely crawl along. Go at a speed that's uncomfortable, yet you're able to keep up with.
6) Above all else! If you're in pain--stop. Now, stop it. That's how I got hurt and now it hurts to walk up stairs when the seasons change. The only real way you can start to tell if it's good pain or bad pain is if you do it. Honestly, if it’s just three miles at a slow pace, I really doubt you could hurt yourself that badly. Running is high impact and rough on the body. It's easy to get hurt and never be able to run again correctly.
7) Run with someone, challenge each other. Keep each other accountable to the routine. Running with a dog also works, the dog will love you, and you wont be so lonely.
8) Running gets to be an addiction after awile. I still want to go running, but I can't without not being able to walk without a limp for a month. So know your body.

LightWraith
2008-02-04, 05:14 PM
I'm a triathlete in training, so I do a lot (and I mean a LOT) of swimming cycling and running.

If you're serious about getting into running, try to find a running store in your area and get fitted for some real running shoes. A good shop should be able to analyze your gait and help you choose a shoe to match. It can get pricey though (I still haven't done it), so I'd wait till I'm sure. Until then, just make sure your shoes are in good shape.

Since I'm crosstraining in multiple sports, my training rules are a lot different from those of a dedicated runner. The only training advice I can give is to not increase your running mileage/time by more than 10% a week.

My last piece of advice. If you need to take a day off... take it. This is last on my list because it is the most important advice I can give you. You're body doesn't improve when you're working out, but while you rest. Like Semidi said, it's ok to do some core work (exercises for the torso) on the rest day, but don't run. Overtraining is very easy to do when you're starting out, so don't push yourself if you start feeling abnormally tired, sick or your body is just telling you no.

I'll probably think of something else to add later, but for now, the advice you've gotten should get you started.

Good luck!

P.S. Running does get addictive... be careful :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 09:55 PM
My thoughts on running are summed up in this handy flow chart:

Is something chasing you?
-->YES: Run.
-->NO: Remain stationary.

EDIT: Looking at it, though, I guess that would explain why I'm not exactly in good shape. Of course, I'll just go ahead and blame my asthma as my reason for not running, rather than my more prevalent laziness.:smallcool:

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-02-04, 10:05 PM
I've played soccer all my life, but never really got into 'running' per se until recently, though my one biggest hobby is hiking.

Then I tore a ligament in my knee last May and once it could hold my weight I began to force myself to walk on it. Eventually I began to power walk, and now I've jogging about three miles a day. Roughly that is. I live on a hill amongst hills, and have a huge yard, so its all ups and downs my entire route, but each time around is like 1/2 a mile I measured by counting my strides while walking. So I just go around it about 8 times.

I've also found it's easier, at least for me, to do it barefoot (as long as you avoid the thistles). I've yet to find a pair of running-appropriate footwear that didn't cause my feet to ache.

Unfortunately it's very dull as I know absolutely no one else who runs and my portable cd player won't even work at a slow walk and I don't have an mp3 player of any kind.

Balkash
2008-02-04, 10:06 PM
The longer the run, the slower the pace. Whatever you usually run your 1.5 miles in, go run 5 miles at about 1/2 that pace. I think the crow might have some workouts. I do cross country and track. We've got some really slow guys. They do pretty much the same thing as us, but just slower. Sunday: 40 minutes at like 60% total ability. Monday: 3 miles at 75%. Tuesday: 30 Minutes at 60%. Wednesday: 1 mile slow, 1 mile fast, 1 mile slow. Thursday: 45 minutes at 60%. Friday: 10 minute warm up, 5 minute fast (80%), 10 minutes cool down. Saturday: rest, push ups, sit ups, strech. Something like that. PM if you really want something VERY detailed

Crow
2008-02-04, 10:17 PM
Eh...

- Get nice running shoes. Don't skimp on these, it will pay off in the long run for many different reasons.

- Run somewhere other than a track. Run through the neighborhood, around the city, whatever. A track is boring and you will soon get very bored of running if your surroundings never change. It gives a feeling of not making progress.

- Run for time. For instance if you want to run 20 minutes today, run for 10 minutes away from your start point, and then turn around and come back. After 10 minutes has passed, you turn around and run back to your start point. Try and get as far away from your start point as possible in the time you allot yourself. Increase total time every week (20 min first week, 22 min second week, etc...).

- Don't run too much. Four days a week is all you really need. Even that...sheesh. If you were trying to build your chest you wouldn't do bench press every single day. Do two days of LSD (long slow distance), and two days of sprint-type exercises. Just as an example;

day 1 - Sprints 6x200 meters
day 2 - LSD 30 minutes
day 3 - rest
day 4 - Farlek 10 minutes
day 5 - LSD 30 minutes
day 6 - rest
day 7 - rest

- Doing sprint-type exercises will increase your speed in distance exercises. You are teaching your body to respond to demand, and it will.

- Don't neglect your nutrition. Get some protein before you head out, and get some after you've finished and cooled down. Make sure you are eating well throughout your training.

- Watch your form. Do some research into the POSE method of running.

- Be accountable for your own training. Running partners more often than not fail. You don't have to get yourself motivated. Just do it. Nothing more.

- Running with a dog is fun, but your dog may end up hating you once you start running long distances at a good pace. If the dog is slowing you down, it's time to ditch the dog.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-04, 10:18 PM
I play soccer and run CC, so i actually know a bit about running.

some major things to remember when running distance are to control your breathing. you dont wanna be taking lots of short breaths. take long, extended breathes instead. Also you wanna use your full stride. dont take 2 or 3 small steps where 1 long one will work. When your feet land, try to make them land from the heel to the toes, rather than flat-footed. ALWAYS STAY HYDRATED. you dont know pain till your 2 miles into a run and are dehydrated as H***. use your arms. it may seem stupid, but when you pump your arms you move farther per stride and therefor use less of the energy in your legs. You HAVE to keep running to be able to run distance. run at an uncomfortable yet possible pace for as far as you can go, then get some water and a quick break and then do it again. Run more than you want to be able to run. In CC, we'd train for a 3.1 mile race by running at LEAST 6 miles a day. As for pain, there are 2 types, with different things to do for each. Muscle pain? stretch, take a quick break, and you can keep going. If you get a pain in a bone, stop IMMEDIATELY. no joke. keep running on it and your likely to have a stress fracture which i promise is not fun. on the same not, while you should be running hard, do NOT try to go out and run a marathon your first day. you'll hurt yourself. Remember the Kenyans (pretty sure they first said this qoute) "if you wanna run fast, run alone. if you wanna run far, run together". Run with someone and you can help each other to get farther faster. Get good running shoes. not something you'd find at Wal-Mart, but some good quality shoes. most running stores will look at your balance and how you walk and give you shoes to fit that. Use them. They're good for (on average) about 400 or 300 miles/pair of shoes. (which is much less than you'd think). dont be afraid to take one day off. you'll need it. but dont take more than that, or you'll start to lose your wind.

hmm...thats about it that i can think of right now.

sorry about the wall of text there.

thubby
2008-02-04, 10:35 PM
PACE YOURSELF!!!
can't stress this enough. everyone is going to go their fastest at the start and be dead tired by the end.
you can always speed up, but once you get tired, there's no going back.
always go a little bit slower than you think you should :smallwink:

hippie_dwarf
2008-02-05, 11:26 AM
Woo nelly, that alot to take in.

Damn right running is addictive, when we first stopped running I used to have dreams that I was running, but couldn't go fast enough :smallfrown: .

The running with a dog is a good idea, but I don't have one, neither does my running partner. I could get my cats to come i suppose, but they'd protest at moving off the boiler XD.

Pain hasn't ever been an issue, but if it does start happening I will take all your advice on board about that

Crow: I hadn't even considered diet, so thanks for that. Our route currnetly takes us through my home town, so no problems there.

thubby: We do try to pace ourselfs. We're pretty good at it but occasionaly get it wrong, and go too fast at the start. Do you thinks it's better to keep a constant pace? Because at the moment we pretty much sprint at the end (it's down hill, so it' easier to go faster then).

We don't normally run on weekends so we do have a rest, and i'll start doing some streches etc. as said.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its all going to hlep. If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to post or PM or w/e.

Crow
2008-02-05, 12:52 PM
Don't sprint downhill. Your knees will thank you.

CrazedGoblin
2008-02-06, 01:13 PM
set fire to your feet and run through water, i know it would make me go faster:smalltongue:

Narmoth
2008-02-06, 01:28 PM
I run almost every day
in the morning
after the bus

TRM
2008-02-06, 01:44 PM
Rest is important. Srsly. Make sure that you get sufficient rest days so that you don't overtrain and injure yourself. I recommend 5-6 days of work outs and 1-2 rest days (in my rowing training we practice 5 days/week and have two rest days).

Increase your milage slowly but steadily. Run a mile or two further every week and before you know it you'll be running 100 miles a week!
Vary the intensity and duration of your workouts. Have hard days, quick-and-dirty days, light run days, endurance/steady state days, etc... It'll keep your workouts interesting and fun.

STRETCH!!!
This is, like, as important as rest days. Stretch after workouts, stretch before workouts, while watching TV... (running is hard on your hamstrings and joints and achilles... You'll be less sore if you stretch regularly).

I find loop routes are more interesting than out-and-backs. You'll see new places on your route and be less likely to quit because "Ugh. It's 2 miles back the way I came:smallfrown: "

And read Crow's post. It looks sound :smallbiggrin:

edity link: Map My Run (http://www.mapmyrun.com/) Site where you can map your routes and log your miles. It's fun.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-06, 01:50 PM
i walk, but have been known to run.

still, my running is normaly away from people or moving objects :smallannoyed:

i think you have got most of the advice and advice websites you could get :smalltongue:

have fun :smallsmile:

SoD
2008-02-06, 02:21 PM

Ahh! Running man! Hours of entertainment...I just spent the last five minutes or so watching...

Vespe Ratavo
2008-02-06, 06:46 PM
I'd love to...but...um...

My mp3 player doesn't work! Yes! That's why. Totally not because I'm a nonathletic slob who starts to sweat just by jogging to the kitchen and back. >.>

North
2008-02-06, 06:48 PM
Running is just so boring though. Thats why I put an exercise bike in my TV living room.

I can become a biking potato!