PDA

View Full Version : Fey Eldritch Disciple

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 03:00 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying to put together an Eldritch Disciple build for a game on these boards, this game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70928) in fact, which I link as there are a lot of variant rules in effect. It's a horror game, starting at level one, and my concept is a human with some sort of fey and/or elven ancestry (not enough to merit a race or template... I might stretch to taking a heritage feat or two, but that's it) - essentially a fey/elf junkie who gets warlock powers and starts worshiping Corellon. It's 38-point buy, which I had in mind to distribute 10 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 12 int, 16 wis, 16 cha.

What I'm looking for is basically advice on feat and invocation selection, as those are the most limited resources the character has - I'm terrible at choosing under such tight constraints, and on top of that there's the multiclassing problem to contend with. Good spell strategies would also be appreciated. As far as a role I see this guy as mostly a healer and helper, by no means a frontliner or primary offense, but if his blasting can retain some kind of potency I won't complain. Non-evil-flavoured debuffs and battlefield control tactics are right up his alley. Increased survivability is obviously also a plus. Remember, the guy has to be playable from first level in a horror campaign where things are likely to be trying to kill us at unexpected times, so a combo which only becomes workable from level six on is not much help.

I've heard Eldritch Disciple described as a non-sucky dual caster class. Prove it! :smallwink:

Relevant variant rules: traits, flaws, spelltouched feats, spell points, vitality and wound points, action points, class defense bonus. All are as in the variant rules section of the SRD. Also, there's a variant for armour in effect where armour grants DR x/- where x is the normal armour bonus. This means I'll have a nice high AC once I take my first level of cleric, but enemies' touch ACs vs. my eldritch blast will also increase (though for most monsters, probably not quite in proportion). Oh, and something from Iron Kingdoms called the Pain of Healing is in play, I've just noticed, and will have to ask the DM to explain, as it sounds highly ominous.

Pretty much any books are available, though setting-specific material is less likely to fly. I don't want some sort of multiply-templated insectoid eight-armed incarnumed monstrosity, though. Dude's a human.

kamikasei
2008-02-05, 02:05 AM
<_< ... >_> ...

*bump*

Is this in the wrong place? Should I take it to the character builder thread?

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-05, 03:31 PM
Well, my understanding of the Pain of Healing is this: If you heal someone who doesn't worship your god, you get hurt. A lot. This only applies to divine spells, though... so it might make your modified eldritch healing blast even more useful, since it's (A) not divine, but arcane (it has somatic components affected by armor) and (B) not a spell (It's a spell-like ability.) If the DM vetoes this then you might want to more carefully consider the god you pick: It should be the same as the one everyone else is choosing.

Since you're starting at level one, I would pick Warlock as your first level and take "Summon Swarm" as your invokation. It affects a 10' by 10' square of your choosing, auto-hits everyone there for 1d6 damage every round, and forces two save or sucks on low level foes that don't yet have the saves to reliably beat your Invocation. Just be ready to exchange it later one when it becomes less useful and more easily resisted.

If you want to be Fey-like, Nymph's Kiss from BoED is an excellent Feat to take at first level. You get a free skill point per level, a Charisma bonus (it says to all Charisma related checks,) and Fay significant other all in one Feat.

I recommend all Warlocks look to the Hellfire Warlock PrC as soon as they hit level 10. It's the best way to get a reasonable amount of damage out of your eldritch blast, and despite the evil sounding name, being evil isn't in the requirements. All it really takes is skills you'll be advancing anyway and spending an invocation to get one of the required essenses.

You definately want to take Flee the Scene when it becomes an option and flight when that becomes possible. Baleful Utterance is also an extremely useful but low level Invocation. I also like See the Unseen, but I have a DM that likes to use Invisibility, so that's only natural.