PDA

View Full Version : DS9 : Who liked Garak?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-02-04, 03:16 PM
This character is probably the most intriguing, the most amusing, and the most deadly character ever to walk a Star Trek episode.

Just take a look at my sig, you see one of his greatest quote ever. I just loved how he commented "The Child who cried Wolf" (point of the story: never tell the same lie twice). Am I the only one who find him a pure awesome?

The guy also always has the perfect réparté to slam in your face, and if he wants to hurts you, his tongue is a deadly as his hands.

The goddamned smile of his..

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 03:40 PM
All people love Garak, as not liking Garak disqualifies you from personhood.

I especially liked:

"How much of what you told me was true?" "All of it." "- Even the lies?" "My dear doctor, especially the lies."

and:

"Did no one tell you the plan? You see, I pretend to be their friend and then I shoot you."

LBO
2008-02-04, 03:42 PM
GARAK! He is the finest character, not just in DS9 (the finest series) but in all of Star Trek. The Wire, The Search, Improbable Cause and In the Pale Moonlight all rule impossibly hard. (Also, I have a copy of A Stitch In Time, which is pretty damn cool.)

But that's not even close to the best Garak quote :smallamused:
C'mon, it's a coin toss between:
"Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly."

and

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination."

ShinyRocks
2008-02-04, 04:05 PM
Garak is the most intriguingly-written character in all of Star Trek. He would only fit in DS9 - the darker tone is perfect for him. I love the DS9 take on Trek - people make difficult decisions, and hurt each other, and there aren't really any black and white villains.

My flatmate never watched DS9 before and we're going through the boxsets. We're up to season 6 and just watched In The Pale Moonlight. I'd forgotten just how good that episode is.

'Go and wait in your quarters. I'll be along in a bit to...say hello.' Andrew Robinson put so much menace into that line but still managed to make it sound innocent. An amazing actor playing an amazing character.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-02-04, 04:12 PM
Odo: I will have to add "pickpocket" to your file
Garak: It's only a hobby

One that has became a moto in my life:

Bashir: He can't help being negative. It's in his nature.
Garak: On the contrary. I always hope for the best. Experience, however, taught me to always expect for the worst.

Ominous
2008-02-04, 04:31 PM
Garak is my second favorite Trek character, right behind Q.

kamikasei
2008-02-04, 04:46 PM
Odo: "You'd shoot a man in the back?"
Garak: "Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?"

North
2008-02-04, 04:53 PM
Garak rules. He is by far the best simple tailor ever. :smallbiggrin:

Darth Mario
2008-02-04, 05:09 PM
Maybe it would be more informative to ask, "Who didn't like Garak?"

Then, if anyone responds, we can throw rocks at them.

Ganurath
2008-02-04, 05:15 PM
Garak is my role model, let's leave it at that.

Logos7
2008-02-04, 05:16 PM
Makes me happy to think that garak, and mot get together and talk business somewhere.

But yes garak is pure gold, lots of the characters on DS9 were, this would normally have been awesome if not for the utter crap the story, actors, and everyone did for the other half.

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 05:18 PM
I <3'd Garak's conversation with Quark just before the Klingons attacked DS9 where they used root beer as a analogy for the Federation.

QUARK (Cont'd) And the worst part is, my only
hope for salvation... is the
Federation.

GARAK I know precisely how you feel.

QUARK Here, I want you to try something
for me.

<Quark pulls out a glass and fulls it with a foamy brown
liquid.>

QUARK Take a sip of this.

<Garak looks skeptically at the drink.>

GARAK What is it?

QUARK A human drink. It's called root
beer.

GARAK<eyes it suspiciously>
I don't know...

QUARK Go ahead. Aren't you just a
little bit curious?

<Garak hesitates a beat, but then takes a sip. He
immediately makes a face.>

QUARK What do you think?

GARAK It's vile!

<Quark is glad that someone agrees with him.>

QUARK I know.
<searching for bad things to say>
It's so bubbly and cloying and
happy.

GARAK Just like the Federation.

QUARK But you know what's really
frightening? If you drink enough
of it, you start to like it.

GARAK It's insidious.

QUARK Just like the Federation.

<There's a long beat as the two aliens share their
common bond.>

GARAK Do you think they'll be able to
save us?

QUARK
<defeated>
I hope so.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-04, 05:21 PM
Ahh Garak...so witty...pragmatic to the extreme...so crafty...I absolutely loved his character. He was the ultimate iconic 'turncoat superspy' operating undercover.

Some other fun quotes...

Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!
Garak: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Garak: To think, after all this time, all our lunches together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.

I swear that Joss Whedon took some inspiration for Shepard Book from Garak. Both so nice, so simple, and so very very not what they seem.

nothingclever
2008-02-04, 05:27 PM
GARAK! DS9 (the finest series) but in all of Star Trek.
DS9 was terrible and so was the latest Star Trek show that was canned. Everything before those two series was good. Original Star Trek with Kirk is clearly the best. You must have tribbles on the brain to think otherwise.

North
2008-02-04, 05:31 PM
I disagree with that completely.

I like DS9 the best of the first four. Watching Enterprise now. Its either going to be first or second.

Both series have much better characters. Personal conflict. DS9 is much darker as well.

And any list that doesnt have Voyager at the bottom is flawed at best:smallwink:

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 05:34 PM
DS9 was terrible and so was the latest Star Trek show that was canned. Everything before those two series was good. Original Star Trek with Kirk is clearly the best. You must have tribbles on the brain to think otherwise.

Your opinion.

Pwenet
2008-02-04, 05:49 PM
One of my favorite Garek lines is from Way of the Warrior, when the Klingons are boarding the station and causing general mayhem and chaos.

Garek and Dukat are guarding the Cardassian leaders, and it has gone to blood hand-to-hand combat, with Garek picking off soldiers which a phaser and Dukat slicing and dicing.

Garek: I find this hand to hand combat really quite distasteful!

Dukat: I suppose you prefer the simplicity of a interrogation chamber!

Garek: You have to admit, it's much more civilized!

Yes I miss Deep Space Nine, the best of the Star Trek series in my humble opinion.

GoC
2008-02-04, 06:08 PM
<3
It's not what he says but the tone of voice he says it with!

Elidyr
2008-02-05, 01:36 AM
Whats not to like about Garak? I especially liked his take on the story about the boy who cried wolf.

Garak: Why is it no-one ever believes me even when I'm telling the truth?
Bashir: Have you ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf?
Garak: No.
Bashir: It's a children's story about a young shepard boy who gets lonely
while attending his flock, so he cries out to the villagers that a wolf is
attacking the sheep. The people come running, but of course there's no
wolf. He claims that it's run away and the people praise him for his
vigilance.
Garak: Clever lad! Charming story.
Bashir: I'm not finished. The next day the boy does it again and the next two
and on the fourth day a wolf really comes. The boy cries out to the top of his
lungs, but the villagers ignore him and the boy and his flock are gobbled up.
Garak: That's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?
Bashir: But the point is; if you lie all the time nobody's going to believe
you, even when you're telling the truth.
Garak: Are you sure that's the point, doctor?
Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?
Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

TheRiov
2008-02-05, 08:33 AM
"Who's watching Tolar?"
"I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that if he attempts to force the door open, it may explode."
"I hope that's just an impression."
"It's best not to dwell on such minutiae."

- Sisko and Garak

"That's why you came to me, isn't it Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you'll get what you wanted: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant, and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal... and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

Yeah. I thought Garak was a great character.

Megalomaniac2
2008-02-05, 11:42 AM
Who on Earth didn't like Garak? Between the epic HoYay between him and Bashir and his near continuous production of classic lines... He's a big reason why DS9 is my favourite Trek series.

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-05, 11:43 AM
Yeah DS9 was my favorite star trek and Garack was one of my favorites in that show.

Rumda
2008-02-05, 11:49 AM
you know i have half a mind to make a lizardfolk rogue based on garak, he was the one character that represented the differences between ds9 and the other treks that made it so go

Joran
2008-02-05, 03:02 PM
he was the one character that represented the differences between ds9 and the other treks that made it so good

It wasn't just Garak. It was the host of great secondary characters like Damar, Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun that made DS9 good. Like them or hate them, they were complex characters that developed over years and made the series that much more interesting.

LBO
2008-02-05, 03:26 PM
It wasn't just Garak. It was the host of great secondary characters like Damar, Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun that made DS9 good. Like them or hate them, they were complex characters that developed over years and made the series that much more interesting.
QFT. Except Winn, who was just plain annoying.

So, who was your favourite Ziyal?

North
2008-02-05, 05:05 PM
Yeah I also didnt care much for Winn. Kept hoping she'd die. But Weyoun and all the voorta actually were pretty hilarious.

*I hate Ferengi...*:smallbiggrin:

GoC
2008-02-05, 10:00 PM
QFT. Except Winn, who was just plain annoying.
QFT

I also spent most of the series hoping she'd die.

Prince Gimli
2008-02-08, 05:05 PM
If the writer's goal was to make Winn annoying they have certainly succeeded.:smallyuk: and :smallannoyed: with :smallfurious:

And the award to most annoying recurring character ever goes to: Kai Winn.

Major plot conclusion revealed:
Ahh, the delightful moment when Dukat gets his cardassian appearance back from the Pah wraiths and states: "Did you really believe the pah wraiths would want you as their emissary?"

Altough I do have a shred of pity left for Winn, since she devoted her life to the prophets, and when she was in dire need of advice, when the pah wraiths were on the verge of converting her, they were silent. They ignored her.
That, or I suspect the pah wraiths could have blocked her out, or she was simply hopeless to begin with. She was always hiding her ambition behind "faith". I suspect she even believed it herself. So there is depth to her character, however annoying it may be.

Back to Garak, he is perhaps the greatest recurring character and one of the greatest characters in all of Star Trek.

Serenity
2008-02-08, 06:39 PM
With the possible exception of Q, Garak is the single most awesome character in all of Trek.

Talya
2008-02-11, 12:15 PM
I loved Garak.

I miss Trek.