PDA

View Full Version : Captain Average

Citizen Joe
2008-02-04, 07:02 PM
OK, here's the rules. You've got 10's across the boards in all your attributes and level 1. What do you play and why?

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-04, 07:07 PM
Commoner. I'll produce epic lolz until I die, at which point I get new stats.

Sorry if thats cheating.

Squidmaster
2008-02-04, 07:07 PM
A fighter/barbarian. You dont need to cast spells, and you have BAB of 1, so you might hit somthing, plus, melee classes are the best at level one

Darth Mario
2008-02-04, 07:12 PM
Fighter or other full BAB class (Paladin, Ranger, Barbarian). Every other class has an ability you NEED to have high (Casters will only get 0-level spells, Monks, Rogues, Bards get basically no AC).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-04, 07:12 PM
Druid. Pump wis at every opportunity and hide behind your animal companion until you can wildshape, at which point you continue to hide. Or make your DM let you re-roll.

Crow
2008-02-04, 07:36 PM
Barbarian.

I'll be near as good as if I had chosen Fighter, and I'll have 2 extra HP. For 3 rounds per day I'll be a little better.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-04, 07:38 PM
Binder, me thinks. Maybe ToB.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-04, 07:40 PM
Gray Elf Wizard 1. :smallamused:

mockingbyrd7
2008-02-04, 07:40 PM
Assuming we can get past first level later:

Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Druid, and Cleric are all bad ideas with low casting stats. Even with pumping my stats and items, I'd be in a bad situation.

Monks are bad ideas in the first place.

Paladins need charisma for almost all of their abilities, wisdom to cast spells later on.

Rogue might be okay, I suppose.

1st choice: Ranger. I get a long skill list with lots of points, two good saves, full BaB, all weapons, track, a favored enemy, and D8 hit dice, which allows me to be useful even with no good stats.

2nd choice: Barbarian. Full BaB, D12's, fast movement, all weapons and medium armor, and most importantly RAGE to bump my weak stats however it can.

CompositeSanta
2008-02-04, 07:42 PM
Anthromorphic bat Druid. Do I win?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-04, 07:43 PM
Factotum. It's not I Win, it's I Cheat.

Aerogoat
2008-02-04, 07:48 PM
Wild Shape Ranger with the Dungeonscape variant and Track as a real feat.
You play the skillguy for a few levels, deftly grabbing Alertness along the way. No matter what your ability scores, skillmonkeys are always appreciated.

At level 6, you enter Master of Many Forms. Your stats suddenly stop mattering, you have stuff to do in combat and you're one of the most flexible non-casters around.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-02-04, 08:27 PM
Wild Shape Ranger with the Dungeonscape variant and Track as a real feat.
You play the skillguy for a few levels, deftly grabbing Alertness along the way. No matter what your ability scores, skillmonkeys are always appreciated.

At level 6, you enter Master of Many Forms. Your stats suddenly stop mattering, you have stuff to do in combat and you're one of the most flexible non-casters around.

I think you win. I would have went with the Shapeshift druid variant, being able to shapechange at L1. Won't have any spellcasting (except if pumping WIS at every level and/or getting ridiculous amounts of cash and favor from yon DM for one of the WIS books).

ChaosDefender24
2008-02-04, 08:35 PM
Druid/MoMF, your casting is screwed anyway so the loss of spells shouldn't matter, I think

Chronos
2008-02-04, 09:19 PM
I've heard that a Warlock can work well with straight 10s, too, so long as you focus on invocations that don't have saving throws.

Toric
2008-02-04, 09:36 PM
I believe this would be the perfect opportunity to play a Comp Warrior Samurai. If you're going to be mediocre, excel at mediocrity I say!

SadisticFishing
2008-02-04, 09:41 PM
Warlock. Summon rat swarms and own.

Otherwise? Barbarian. Take Extra Rage or Reckless Rage as your feat. Woopie.

Orc, Dwarf, or Human.

sikyon
2008-02-04, 09:57 PM
I believe this would be the perfect opportunity to play a Comp Warrior Samurai. If you're going to be mediocre, excel at mediocrity I say!

Hey, he didn't say 8's accross the board now, did he? :smallbiggrin:

BardicDuelist
2008-02-04, 11:15 PM
Warlock: No stats are really necessary, just help in boosting UMD and DCs. A decent choice. Warlocks are mediocre, but aren't especially worse without a couple stat modifiers.

Barbarian: Decent HP, BAB, and Saves. Rage makes up for lack of stats rather well, taking extra rage and extend rage gives you somthing to work with (human). Probably the strongest core (less the broken wizard with dogs).

Rogue: Again, you don't really need stats, they just help. You can still SA and use skills. Could be decent, but I'm not sure on what feats you'd want (probably archery related ones).

Wizard: Sell your spellbook, buy a pack of dogs. Broken.

Ranger: Again, no stats really necessary at lower levels. BAB and Saves are decent. Probably the weakest of the five choices I presented though.

Fighter: This would work, with decent armor. You'd be okay until level 2 or 3, so the suckage really just comes a couple levels early.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-04, 11:27 PM

*passes out laughing*

Every day I learn a new way in which wizards are broken, but I would never have thought you could make them so broken at first level!

AslanCross
2008-02-04, 11:29 PM
I agree with barbarian. Might as well be of some use. I'd take a greatsword to maximize damage since I don't have damage bonuses to speak of until I rage.

Deepblue706
2008-02-04, 11:43 PM
Half-Orc Fighter with Endurance and Diehard for feats. I can hit stuff (+2 to melee attacks, yo) and I last longer in a fight because of Diehard (which is more useful to my group). Half-Orc also grants Darkvision (night attacks suck), and Endurance means I can travel over distance better, as well as sleep in medium armor.

A Dwarf Barbarian would be my alternative choice (Feat - likely combat reflexes to use with a polearm) - although, fatigue would really hinder your ability to fight...

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-05, 01:57 AM
It's a toss up and depends on the rest of the party makeup preferences:

Probably a Planetouced (Aaismar) Human Rogue, Bard or Cloistered Cleric -1 with a Major Bloodline (probably Celestial or Fey depending on the class).

Rogue for Maximum skill points and Sneak Attack along with the PGtF Mercantile Background feat and multiclassing options at later levels.

Bard for a generalist fun PC skill monkey diplomancer.

Cloistered Cleric -1 since 3 levels of Human Paragon will bump up Wisom +2.

After Human Paragon -3 with a Bloodline primary stat should be 16 at level 4 without any magical items enhancing it with spellcasting only delayed a single level in Bard or Cloistered Cleric.

This is based on the assumption that a Planetouched Human would be able to utilize Human Paragon which might not be the case in all games.

Zincorium
2008-02-05, 02:03 AM
Halfling Rogue. You get to wear at least some armor without penalty, along with a dex of +1 and a size bonus, you have enough skill points to still accomplish things even without a bonus to intelligence.

With thrown weapons you can hit things fairly well, and if they're flat footed still do a decent amount of damage. Later on, when you qualify for weapon finesse, melee and flanking become options.

Person_Man
2008-02-05, 09:39 AM
Wildshape Ranger (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#simple-ranger)

Full BAB. Fast Movement. Ranger Skills/abilities. Wildshape to pump stats.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 09:42 AM
*passes out laughing*

Every day I learn a new way in which wizards are broken, but I would never have thought you could make them so broken at first level!

That one is actually pretty old. One thing he forgot to mention was that the Dogs are Mage-Bred. :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2008-02-05, 11:29 AM
Warlock: No stats are really necessary, just help in boosting UMD and DCs. A decent choice. Warlocks are mediocre, but aren't especially worse without a couple stat modifiers.

I second that, Summon Swarm is not based on Cha.

How much is a Int 10 spell book cost?

Duke of URL
2008-02-05, 11:43 AM
The general problem with the melee class suggestions is that so many of the useful feats for melee characters require Power Attack (STR 13), Combat Expertise (INT 13), and/or Combat Reflexes (DEX 13). Most of the others (Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist, etc.) have one or more ability scores required to be 13 as well.

I'll go with the Warlock suggestion as well.

shaggz076
2008-02-05, 01:13 PM
Well I think with this one (if we are stuck with the PHB races, why overcomplicate?) I would have to go with a Human Rogue. You get 9 skills at rank 4 at level 1. You get a second feat which can be used to boost your skills and such. I think I would go with Improved Initiative and Stealthy. That way you can hide and MS really well and you go first more often than anyone else in your group (made with the same stats). The big thing here would be to get decent armor w/o a check penalty and a weapon that can deal a decent amount of damage (Short Bow, Morning Star or Rapier). Sneal into the fight and target the baddie that looks toughest. SNEAK ATTACK!!! Now that he is gone the others will be a little shaken as the rest of the party charges in and t your group dispatches them.

Finally, at your earliest convenence you go out and pick up at least a Manual of Quickness of Action +5 to get your main stat up to a modicom of acceptability.

Doresain
2008-02-05, 01:16 PM
kobold rogue...natural armor, dex mod and size mod...

of course, i would avoid melee weapons like the plague

Duke of URL
2008-02-05, 01:43 PM
Well I think with this one (if we are stuck with the PHB races, why overcomplicate?) I would have to go with a Human Rogue.

Might want to think about a 2-level dip in Ranger as well to get TWF for free and without prerequisites.