PDA

View Full Version : semi powerful non regular races

freetobeuandme
2008-02-04, 08:49 PM
my dm said if i could find a race that wasn't too powerful, i could choose it over one of the common races.
my characters a druid.
stats, in no order
his companions are a sorceror and a barbarian
could you help me please?

Chronos
2008-02-04, 09:14 PM
As a druid, you're not going to be spending too much time in your own form, anyway, so it matters a lot less than for most classes. If there's something that just plain looks like fun to you, this is a good opportunity to play it. Anything with no level adjustment and no Wis penalty would work fine. Something with a Wis bonus would be ideal, but those are very hard to find, and he'd probably consider that overpowered.

And I presume you already know this, but that 17 should go in your Wisdom, and the 13s probably in Con and Int. Dex and Strength won't matter when you're wildshaped, and a druid has very little use for Charisma.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-04, 09:20 PM
what about races?
what races would benefit me as a druid other than the common?
where could i find those stats?

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-02-04, 09:26 PM
There's a race in Oriental Adventures that's +2 Wis, +2 Int, -2 strength with no level adjustment, but I don't know if that's 3.5. They're Chaotic little monkey people. I believe it's the Vanara or something like that.

Aerogoat
2008-02-04, 09:36 PM
If you have no idea what you want to play, look through this (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf). You probably won't find much better than Human, Dwarf or Anthropomorphic animals (Savage Species), but you might at least find a concept.

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 09:48 PM
Well, you could always check out the Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400). Some of its suggestions include the Buomman (who have a Wis bonus, but a racial vow of silence), certain Halfling subraces (which your DM should okay), and a couple of the Eberron races (which can be found in the Eberron Campaign Setting or in Monster Manual IV).

Really, though, I think Humans make good Druids (free feats are never bad), and Dwarves can be good (bonus to Con and penalty to Cha, which is fine for Druids, and even though the concept sounds weird, it's fun to roleplay).

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-02-04, 09:48 PM
Anthropomorphic Bat is just stupid, if you wanna play way too powerful a character. +6 Wisdom at first level for some lame penalties you won't even really have to deal with, being a druid, no LA. Ugh.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-04, 09:53 PM
is warforged a race?

ladditude
2008-02-04, 09:58 PM
Yes... But I have no idea about the stats or where they come from.

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 10:07 PM
is warforged a race?

Yes. They're living constructs made of wood, stone, and metal, brought to life in some complex arcane ritual. They originated in the Eberron setting, but any magico-technological setting could theoretically use them. More information can be found in the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warforged), but as far as stats go I don't think they've been posted online (and they aren't OGL), so good luck finding the stats without buying the book(s).

sonofzeal
2008-02-04, 10:15 PM
Jermlaine (sp; they're from MM2) are an interesting choice. They start out with no real racial traits worth speaking of, but crazy-odd stats (including -8 str and +6 Wis). All in all a pretty horrible race, but Druids can put them to good use. Being Tiny and generally rat-ish is always fun too. Awesome RP potential.

wadledo
2008-02-04, 10:41 PM
In regards to warforged, pg 33. (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf)

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-05, 01:05 AM
Not too powerful, but slightly better than the core races? Druid? The forest gnome does the whole weird "small mechanical incentive to play a non-standard subrace" thing, and fits quite well with the Druid class flavorwise. Plus, it gives you a chance to play a character who doesn't speak Common, if you've ever wanted to do that. (It's a bonus language option, of course; I'm just saying, if you want to.)

DementedFellow
2008-02-05, 01:34 AM
Well, to shake things up a bit, if you are working in a sandy or desert-like environment, I suggest Asherati. They don't have a LA and they have a point of a natural armor, if that isn't enough, they also have the ability to sandswim and bring up an intrinsic light around themselves so fast that they can dazzle their opponents.

You could really have fun with the character if the DM allows it, sandswim behind the opponent, tap him on the shoulder, dazzle, grapple, sandswim with him underneath the sand and suffocate him.

I think an Asherati would really fit in with a druid class too, as they embrace the desert to such a degree they are able to live in it with relative ease.

This race is found in Sandstorm.

Doomsy
2008-02-05, 08:01 PM
Killoren from Races of The Wilds. They're a bit freaky, but they offer good bonuses IMHO, and seem made for druids.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-05, 09:29 PM
Asherati blinding glow is only 1/day, if memory serves.

DementedFellow
2008-02-05, 09:41 PM
Asherati blinding glow is only 1/day, if memory serves.

You are correct, but how many times do you think you'll be able to pull that maneuver off in a fight? The DC is rather weak on it too, so it would only be real beneficial at lower leveled encounters.

I just thought it would be a neat scenario.

EDIT: even bad subject/verb agreement can slip past spellcheck

Raider
2008-02-05, 09:50 PM
Well from a roleplaying perspective the Gnolls are sometimes Druids but are generally held in disdain but other Druids. Might be fun to try

ChaosDefender24
2008-02-05, 09:59 PM
Concerning warforged: Correct me if I'm wrong, but now that errata says that you keep your type when you wildshape, don't you keep your living construct immunities?

EDIT: I didn't even look at the posts, but since there's a thread on the topic on the front page here that has managed to become three pages long, the controversy over it has spread here as well (some designer dudes said that warforged lose all their traits, but for the love of me I can't remember whether that came out before or after the errata)

I guess you'd end up being a mechwarrior bear or something

DementedFellow
2008-02-05, 10:17 PM
Concerning warforged: Correct me if I'm wrong, but now that errata says that you keep your type when you wildshape, don't you keep your living construct immunities?

As a guess I would say no. You are in another form, your armor ceases to function. The harder thing you have to reconcile is not having a metal body and being a warforged druid. Sure it can happen, it's just something to keep in mind.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-05, 10:36 PM
As a guess I would say no. You are in another form, your armor ceases to function. The harder thing you have to reconcile is not having a metal body and being a warforged druid. Sure it can happen, it's just something to keep in mind.

No, you keep your type as per the errata. And thus, your construct immunities. And you can just take the Ironwood Body feat to negate the metal armor problem.

DementedFellow
2008-02-05, 10:41 PM
No, you keep your type as per the errata. And thus, your construct immunities. And you can just take the Ironwood Body feat to negate the metal armor problem.

Thanks. This is actually good to know. :smallbiggrin:

A.Sondergaard
2008-02-06, 03:37 AM
By the way, Warforged=Wis penalty. For the TC's meager stats, I'd avoid it, since the 17 is really the only thing its got going for it, unless he wants to move some points around...

SoD
2008-02-06, 02:11 PM
There's a race in Oriental Adventures that's +2 Wis, +2 Int, -2 strength with no level adjustment, but I don't know if that's 3.5. They're Chaotic little monkey people. I believe it's the Vanara or something like that.

Yup, Vanara. I beleive they also get bonuses to balance, jump and tumble? Or was climb there somewhere? No, that was the Hadozee...there's too many monkey people out there.

Zyme
2008-02-06, 05:33 PM
what about races?
what races would benefit me as a druid other than the common?
where could i find those stats?

For the druid idea, I like the Jermlaine race from MMII

-6str, +6dex, -2 con, -2 int, +6 wis, -4 cha

mostlyharmful
2008-02-06, 05:45 PM
Yup, Vanara. I beleive they also get bonuses to balance, jump and tumble? Or was climb there somewhere? No, that was the Hadozee...there's too many monkey people out there.

There's never enough monkey people.... MORE MONKEY PEOPLE!!!!:smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

Yes humans make great druids, Elves do ok if you want to go fluff (make it wild elf to avoid the con shot), Gnomes are good with bonus Con and good fluff.... As for nonstanderd just go for anything without a wis/con deficit and you're golden. Druid's such a stompin class anyway they can afford to be a wacky race at any level and still be a top tier commpetitor so just go for anything you find funky.

LotharBot
2008-02-06, 06:05 PM
How does your DM handle wildshape and natural spell?

Do you take the stats of the animal you wildshape into, or do you take their racial modifiers (making your stats still matter)?

Is natural spell as written, or has it been houseruled to a metamagic feat with a level cost?

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 09:27 PM
for wildshape, he lets me take the stats of my animal with my regular wis, cha, con, and a bonus to my strenght unless the animal is stronger