PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler weapon choice

DrizztFan24
2008-02-04, 09:08 PM
I am currently playing a beguiler6/assassin2 who uses a rapier, soon will use a sleeve blade, and a Comp longbow.

Human, sneak, and arcane spellcaster of the group; He needs to be able to keep himself alive (only 17 AC :smallyuk: ) and still be able to dish out a bit of damage, not just wait for our dragon shaman to come around to me and finish up the baddie.

I've seen the different weapon discussed here and I'm wondering if I took the best option. Should I try to talk the DM into retraining for another weapon or go "as is"

stats are
STR:12
DEX:17
CON:13
INT:16
WIS:11
CHA:14

I also have combat expertise and improved feint for what they are worth.

I've got most of my spell focused feats so if i need to take a feat or two I might be willing to do so, but you'd had to really sell it for two

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-04, 09:24 PM
How did you qualify for assassin in the first place, you don't have any sneak attack. I don't think that it was the greatest idea, and I would have gone for a level of mind bender, then gone back to Beguiler. I don't have many ideas in the first place, but I would max the combat Expertise when casting.

Riffington
2008-02-04, 09:37 PM
Assassin isn't as good as straight-up Beguiler (spells are the awesome), but it's legal (sneak attack is a perquisite of Assassin, not a prerequisite)... and the level of sneak attack and death attack it gives doesn't exactly suck.

So if you want to be useful in combat, you can feint as a free action then hit for sneak attack damage. But did you spend two feats for sleeve blade and longbow? If so, why?
Ok, so the case can be made for longbow. Distance between you and your enemy is good protection... but it might not be worth the feat over shortbow. But if you use longbow, don't waste the feats for Improved feint.

If you do want to feint in melee, rapier is just fine. Or if you want a weapon feat: Greataxe. The greataxe does lots of damage (and adds the feint's sneak attack die just fine), and also helps prevent enemies from selecting you as a "juicy target". 2-handing is a fine option for arcane casters since you won't be wanting a shield anyway.

In short: I wouldn't waste too many feats in combat. But if you do, pick either the longbow or a melee weapon such as greataxe.

tyckspoon
2008-02-04, 09:38 PM
Assuming you're using Weapon Finesse, the rapier is just about the best option for you in Core. If you're not Finessing it, grab a longsword instead. But that doesn't matter very much; you're a beguiler (btw, I agree with the previous poster- you probably would be more effective continuing your beguiler progression instead of having gone into Assassin.) When you want to kill somebody, you don't worry about doing straight up combat damage; you disable them with your magic and then coup-de-grace at your leisure. If you can't do that for whatever reason, then you're in a fight where you should be waiting for your allies to catch up so you can use your spells to help them out instead.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-04, 09:54 PM
I was allowed to advance my beguiler spellcasting with the assassin levels, similar schools of magic.

Thanks, I hadn't even realized that longbow was non-proficient :P
but I just modified my weapon and my attack bonus didn't change at all....weird

I hadn't picked anything up for the blade yet, spent all my feats so far on feint and spell focus

ill try the weapon finesse

@charlie-I don't have access to psionic books-just core books, PHBII, complete scoundrel, arcane, draconomican (typo?), and drow of the underdark

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-04, 10:34 PM
actually, it's in CArc, it's a prestige class, you get telepathy 100 ft, 2+int skills, and +1 level of arcane casting class.

Aerogoat
2008-02-04, 10:42 PM
@charlie-I don't have access to psionic books-just core books, PHBII, complete scoundrel, arcane, draconomican (typo?), and drow of the underdarkMindbender is in Complete Arcane

As for the weapon, the best option is probably a UMD-ed Wand of some sort. Otherwise, what you have now should be fine.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-05, 12:32 AM
I have a beguiler character right now with a rapier and a crossbow. Technically. I don't think I've ever used them.

His best weapon is his mouth. Well OK, and the spell glibness. He's talked us through a few things. (Admittedly, we were suppose to talk our way through these.)