PDA

View Full Version : barbarian and Rage Mage

metalbear
2008-02-04, 11:11 PM
I was thinking about creating a character that has some levels in barbarian and sorcerer with the eventual goal of becoming a rage mage that delivers stored spells while raging. I was wondering if there are any rules preventing the use of stored spells while in rage, as there are rules against casting a spell while in rage. Any advise on the build would also be appreciated.

RTGoodman
2008-02-04, 11:18 PM
Well, Rage normally says that you can't use spells when you Rage, nor can you use most skills. However, one of the class abilities of the Rage Mage changes this, and a Barbarian/Sorcerer is the main point of the class as far as I know.

BardicDuelist
2008-02-04, 11:25 PM
You can't cast spells while raging. Rage Mage takes this penalty away.

Zincorium
2008-02-04, 11:34 PM
However, rage mage is a terrible, terrible class.

Medium BAB, only half spellcasting, and the class features are meh, including spell rage, which you only get a very limited number of times and gives you another -2 to AC on top of rage.

It's much better to buff, rage, then blast if you run out of rage and combat is still going on or you have to end it prematurely.

TheElfLord
2008-02-05, 01:23 AM
I have a player who is taking the rage mage route. At level 7 he is Barb 2/Sorc 4/Rage Mage 1. To help with the weakness of the class I houseruled that spell rage lets you cast spell in rage with no extra penalty.