PDA

View Full Version : Lame +1 Templates

Cuddly
2008-02-05, 01:42 AM
I'm looking for a set of lame +1 templates that wouldn't be too overpowering to put on weak humanoid races, like pre-web supplement kobolds, goblinoids, etc.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-05, 01:59 AM
Sounds like Tiefling.

sonofzeal
2008-02-05, 02:08 AM
I'm looking for a set of lame +1 templates that wouldn't be too overpowering to put on weak humanoid races, like pre-web supplement kobolds, goblinoids, etc.
Depends what the problem is. I'm assuming you're DMing and having trouble balancing the encounters; if I'm wrong let me know.
If the PCs kill everything too fast, "Mineral Warrior" is one of the most powerful +1 templates out there. If your team's ACs are ridiculous, I believe one of the Pseudonatural templates provides a 1/day True Strike (I once resorted to slapping this on bloody everything, just so they could get the occasional hit). Phrenic is a great psionic one (LA +2) - even if you don't use Psi in your gaming group, there's nothing like pimpslapping an overcocky party by pulling out a whole different set of abilities they can't metagame. A Phrenic Dire Hawk is a meager CR 3, but could easily rival That Damn Crab for pwnage, especially since Magical Beast is one of the better racial hd.

(edit - oh right, NOT overpowering.... Celestial maybe? LA+2, but really not worth it imo.)

Zincorium
2008-02-05, 02:21 AM
If these are for NPCs, then LA does not mean anything.

Seriously, LA is for use when creating player characters ONLY, everything else you just use the CR value. As 1 class level = 1 CR, this is a much more accurate from your perspective.

Kioran
2008-02-05, 03:29 AM

Seriously, LA is for use when creating player characters ONLY, everything else you just use the CR value. As 1 class level = 1 CR, this is a much more accurate from your perspective.

That isnīt what heīs asking for - heīs asking for a cheap template to slap on his monsters, and it should be lame so he can slap it on without adjusting CR.

Well, if your Spellcasters are eating the monsters alive, slap on "Celestial" or "Fiendish". LA +2, but apart from the SR utterly unremarkable/lame. I can look through the supplements later on.......

Kantolin
2008-02-05, 04:41 AM
They're not technically a template, but since you said 'lame', Blues are essentially goblins with a level adjustment, so you could use Blues as 'Bosses of goblins'.

Now excuse me, while I continue to lament how much Blues do not deserve their level adjustment.

Human Paragon 3
2008-02-05, 11:09 AM
Why the template? I would just increase their stats a little to make them more challenging. Need them to deal more damage? +2-4STR, Need better AC? +2-4DEX, more HP, +2-4CON.

Or, if you're worried about magic, give them spell resistance. Or you could slap on DR 5/silver,good,evil,-. You dont need a template to make your monsters a little stronger.

Darth Mario
2008-02-05, 11:25 AM
The Dark template, found in Tome of Magic, may be the lamest (ability-wise) template I have ever run across. Should do the trick.

Reinboom
2008-02-05, 11:31 AM
The Dark template, found in Tome of Magic, may be the lamest (ability-wise) template I have ever run across. Should do the trick.

What are you referring to ability wise here? :smalleek:
Or is this sarcasm or something? :smallconfused:

=edit=
Lame templates:

Half-Satyr
Gheden (sort of... depends on what you put it on)

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-05, 06:50 PM

Given the context, maybe by "+1", Cuddly meant +1 CR, not +1 LA?

Just a thought.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-05, 06:53 PM
What are you referring to ability wise here? :smalleek:
Or is this sarcasm or something? :smallconfused:

For serious. HiPS at level 2?

zaei
2008-02-05, 07:11 PM
For serious. HiPS at level 2?

It's HiPS(Ex), to boot. Take that, AMF.

Cuddly
2008-02-06, 08:10 PM

Hmm, I should have specified and said LA +1, and also explained myself a little better.

Yes, I'm the DM, no I'm not asking about CR. I'm asking precisely this:

Lame +1 LA templates that aren't worth the +1 LA compared to a real class level.

Mineral warrior is not a lame template. It is definitely worth a +1 LA. Phrenic is also a good template, as is the Dark template. None of those templates are lame templates. They're all almost as good as a class level. Especially Dark. HiPS at first level?

Fiendish, otoh, is a lame +1 template. Few would consider losing a class level for a 1/day smite ability and some resistances.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-06, 08:18 PM
one lame +1LA template that I have come across is draconic.

tyckspoon
2008-02-06, 08:23 PM
Oh, well.. then most of them. A few templates manage to make themselves broken, but most of them just aren't worth it.

Draconic (Draconomicon, possibly other dragon-related books) would be a decent choice for the Kobolds if you use the default wannabe dragons fluff for them. Small bonus to Str, Con, Cha, a little extra natural armor, couple of weak claw attacks. LA +1/ CR +1 (the book is completely wrong about the CR. It's not a big enough change to make much difference on the CR level.)

Frosty
2008-02-06, 08:47 PM
Is Dragonwrought a template?

Admiral Squish
2008-02-06, 08:50 PM
Is Dragonwrought a template?

Dragonborn is, for a +1.

ChaosDefender24
2008-02-06, 10:35 PM
Dragonwrought's a feat.

For low-level creatures especially, I <3 spell-warped. HUGE bonuses, negligible (or no) CR increase

Cuddly
2008-02-06, 10:39 PM
For low-level creatures especially, I <3 spell-warped. HUGE bonuses, negligible (or no) CR increase

Am I really that bad at writing, or are you just ignoring my question?