PDA

View Full Version : Orson Wells, Mad Scientist

graymachine
2008-02-05, 02:41 AM
So, it seems that my character in my current 3.5 game is probably going to die in the next few sessions (he's just discovered that his religion, as a cleric, has a pretty strict inquisition policy) so I've been turning over ideas in my head for a new character and have settled on one I like but am not sure how to fully actualize. The character I have in mind is of an Orson Wells bent, as the title implies, in the sense that he is portrayed in some over-the-top literature, and in comics, most notably the Planetary series. While I realize that crazy-no-way science doesn't have a place in a fantasy setting, I still think that I could pull off a Frankensteinian feeling that would work well. I've worked out the things I need to focus on, such as most of the knowledges and a goodly number of crafts, but I'm kinda stuck on how to reach my goals with this character, as it were. The current idea I have is to go with Rogue and Warlock levels (I'm pretty much working with 6 levels) and get the best mix out of them. Rogue levels are important, obviously, for the much needed skill points, but I want to minimalize them since I think they would put the wrong flavor on the character. I like warlock because it has so much craziness about it that I could pull it off ("Look what controlled ionization can do when I point my finger!") and it also has some of the slightly dark feeling I'm going for. Furthermore, it has the ability, as a class, to create bother clerical and arcane magic items, which is something I fancy since I think the character will be a hefty artificer. I even plan to start the character with a custom magic item which is goggles that give a bonus to Knowledge:Engineering (I would try to start with a Sonic Screwdriver, but I don't think that would be allowed.) I thought about archivist, or whatever the class is out of Heroes of Horror, but ultimately didn't like how it fit with the character. So, I suppose my question comes in several fold: What odd skills should I focus on, since I've never really sat down and made a skill-monkey? Is there a good reason for me to take more than a few levels in Rogue without loosing the feel of the character? What's the best way for a Warlock to deal with making magic items? And so on.... Sorry to seem so ignorant of the rules, but it's simply been too long since I've made a skill-based character to think of anyway to make him both entertaining and actually useful to the party.

P.S.- I know I'm going to feel stupid the moment someone mentions it, but what book is the Able Learner feat from? Do you think it would work for this character?

graymachine
2008-02-05, 03:00 AM
Oh, also, I was thinking of using up a feat selection for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Arquebus (sp?); I know it pretty wasteful, but I like the character carrying around an oversized gun with all sorts of gizmos coming off it. Does anyone know of a way to get the Eldritch Blast to go through a ranged weapon, specifically the aforementioned one? I'm probably going to scrap the idea, but I was hoping I could get it working.

Sam Panda
2008-02-05, 03:04 AM
Or you could find the Mad Scientist base class from the Homebrew section.. ;D

Unless you don't want any homebrews.

Baxbart
2008-02-05, 03:23 AM
I'm going to suggest Artificier, since it's perfect for anyone who is going to be loading up on craft/magic item creation feats. The flavour of the class doesn't fit every game, but from what you've mentioned so far - I'd think it would go quite well, probably better than/just as well as a refluffed warlock.

Failing that, Effigy Master, in Complete Arcane is a fun PrC to try and incorporate later on.

Aerogoat
2008-02-05, 05:15 AM
Artificer from the Eberron Campaign Setting (but you can find it on crystalkeep (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php)) sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

It's Intelligence based with 4+Int skill points, a couple spells and a "Craft Reserve" of XP to spend each level. There are some balance issues (depending on your campaign, it's possible to be either ridiculously powerful or rather weak), but I think it's your class.