PDA

View Full Version : party of characters

freetobeuandme
2008-02-05, 09:30 AM
thanks for all that help guys, ive decided to go with a ironwood body druid.
here i come to my question: in the party we have a elf sorceror, a warforged druid, and a half orc barbarian/rogue. another kid has asked to join but he doesn't know very much.
what class and race (from the handbook or monster manual) would you suggest to make his character to even up the party?

kamikasei
2008-02-05, 09:55 AM
No particular race except possibly human for the sake of having a "normal" guy for NPCs to deal with. As for class, it depends on the focus of the barbarian/rogue. If he's going for more rogue than barbarian, make a frontliner, such as a barbarian, fighter, ranger etc. If he's favouring the barbarian side of things, make a rogue, to cover the skills the barbarian will be letting fall behind.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-05, 10:33 AM
Or, if the barbarian/rogue is focusing barbarian you could have the new guy try beguiler. A little bit of rogue to help cover the barb and be sneaky enough to be a flanking buddy. He would also get a few enchantment and illusion spells to help take some of the pressure off of the wizard.

might have to help him out wiht the cloaked casting and such but hey, what fun is DND if you don't get to argue the rules a bit

kamikasei
2008-02-05, 10:42 AM
Or, if the barbarian/rogue is focusing barbarian you could have the new guy try beguiler. A little bit of rogue to help cover the barb and be sneaky enough to be a flanking buddy. He would also get a few enchantment and illusion spells to help take some of the pressure off of the wizard.

Well, there are any number of cool classes you could suggest, but the OP specified PHB and MM (unless I'm misreading him, or that only referred to race restrictions).

de-trick
2008-02-05, 11:09 AM
human fighter I'd say so he can learn the basics without over complicating thins with spells and ability's

Frosty
2008-02-05, 11:29 AM
He should go for Barbarian or Cleric.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-05, 11:44 AM
human fighter I'd say so he can learn the basics without over complicating thins with spells and ability's

But that over complicates things with feats... Lots of Fighters suck due to being first class played.

Barbarians are easy. Just rage, Decent Str, and 2 handed weapon attack. That is all that needs to be done to be effective.

Well, more healing is useful: so why not a Bard (Bardic Courage always useful) or Cleric (spontanous cassting, means he can prepare whatever he wants).

Also, why are you Non-core, but he is Core only? I mean you are a Warforged.

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-05, 04:03 PM
No particular race except possibly human for the sake of having a "normal" guy for NPCs to deal with.
A changeling can pretend to be a normal guy and a lot of other things besides. :smallamused: A changeling rogue, bard or beguiler could serve as the party "face" and cover any important skills that the Barbarian/Rogue doesn't. I recommend the Changeling Rogue racial substitution levels from Races of Eberron if that's available.

Burley
2008-02-05, 05:30 PM
I'd suggest Beguiler. It's a great class to start with, and, because they have a limited spell list, you get to customize it a bit without being bogged down with tons of choices. Try to get him to be a Changling (for flavor and the CHA bonus(I think?)) or a gnome (for bonus to illusions and junk).
Why not point the Complete Mage at him for the Fey Heritage feats as well. Get some bonuses to enchantments, and DR/Cold Iron. A fey-hertage Changling? I'd make myself look like a Medium-sized Pixie all day.

Eek...almost none of what I just put is in the PHB. Well, hopefully, he can use it anyways. Sorry, mate.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-05, 06:57 PM
he doesn't really care, but the dm didn't want to make it too powerful or to vague. yeah, i was thinking about a cleric but a fighter gets bonus feats every 2 levels and a couple at the beginning.
for a cleric maybe a: azer or a lumi?
for a fighter maybe a: stonechild or a windsythe?
only requirments are that it can't be a huge and it's level adjst. cant be more that +4 or maybe if im lucky +5
and if you recommed a race please tell me where you can find it or it's stats.
tnaks

kamikasei
2008-02-06, 06:26 AM
Try to get him to be a Changling (for flavor and the CHA bonus(I think?))

Nope, Changelings have no stat adjustments. They get their shapechange and some skill bonuses, but I think that's it.