PDA

View Full Version : Paracelsus' Sword [Artifact & Story]

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-05, 09:45 AM
Just an idea that popped into my head. Basically its just a sword which heals whomever it is used to stab.

Paracelsus' Sword

History
This blade began life as a normal shortsword. One of many forged for the soldiers of a long forgotton human army in one of the longer campaigns against orc invaders. It is said to have been issued to a young doctor named Pantaleon with orders only to use it in defence of himself or his patients. And so the blade spent many battles sheaved never being wielded in anger and only meeting fresh air to be cleaned and sharpened. These short swords came to be known generically as medslices (or "doctor's swords" in modern common), then eventually medselsuses (due to mispronounciation) and finally as muckselsesus ("Never dirty"). One day as Pantaleon tended to the wounded a strange silence decended around the small shelter which had been set up to house his charges. His king had been wounded. No sooner had the doctor began to dress his regal patient's wounds a roar was heard as a band of orcs rushed towards the tent, eager to claim their kill. The king's guard tried to hold off the attackers so that he could be taken to safety, but they were cut down in vain as the hord surrounded the tent. For the first time in his career Pantaleon drew his weapon, he then stood between his liege and the legion. With no regard for his own life he held back many of the orcs. Finally he crouched bleeding, out of breath but still with his sword in hand when all of a sudden a lone orc charged from the throng (who had become uneasy after so many of their fellows were slain by such a poorly armed guard) towards the prone king. Panteleon met the charge and as the two came within striking distance the orc swung his axe into the man's side and the man thrust his sword into the orc's chest. No orc could have survived the blow, but neither could a man survive Panteleon's wound. Despite his injuries he managed to stand up and withdraw the sword from his victim. The sight was too much for the remaining orcs and they fled, moments later Panteleon succumbed to the wound.

When re-enforcments arrived the entire scene was described by both the king and the surviving patients. Under the orders of his majesty the blade was cleaned, polished and placed in a new sheath of fine leather, it became known as the Paragon Muckselsesus and ultimatly as Paracelsus' Sword because of an error made by a historian. As a mark of respect for the fallen doctor it was displayed in the chapel for 10 years until it was passed on to his son, who went out in the world to become an adventurer. Since then it has appeared in the hands of several notable people throughout history.

Appearence
While sheathed the sword looks like little more than a basic shortsword with a worn (but well maintained) hilt and a fine leather scabbard. However when it is withdrawn then it can be seen that instead of an edge there is a pure white glow surrounding the polished blade.

Abilities

Merciful The weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of damage, and all damage it deals is nonlethal damage. On command, the weapon suppresses this ability until commanded to resume it.

Paracelsus' Legacy The blade of the sword constantly emits positive energy, when this weapon is used to deal lethal damage it will instead heal whatever it is used to strike. On a successful hit the target will have up to 1d6 points of health restored, or 1d6*2 on a critical hit, the weilder may apply their strength bonus to the "damage" roll, no wounds will be visible when the sword is removed. The wielder may "strike" a willing target with a coup de grace (use the same rules but treat the damage as healing) if they wish. The sword will deal damage normally against non living targets, undead will also take an extra 1d6 points of damage from the positive energy. If the sword is stabbed into someone then it will not do them any harm (due to the slow release of positive energy) but will not heal them further, removing the sword causes no damage.

Paracelsus' Will 3 times per day the wielder of the sword may hold it above their head and speak the command word. When this happens the area around (20ft. radius) them is filled with positive energy. Living creatures heal 1d10 points of health per round while undead (and other creatures vunerable to positive energy) take 1d10 points of damage. This effect lasts for 2 rounds and follows the sword around if it is moved.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-05, 01:35 PM
No comments?

Blackadder
2008-02-05, 02:04 PM
A great anti-undead weapon I'll say, and I can stab myself heathy! What's not to love?

Ankhor
2008-02-05, 05:24 PM
So, with regards to the fluff of healing with the sword: does the wielder physically plunge the blade into the patient? Does it go all glow-ey, or does the weapon actually penetrate the flesh?

Also, how similar is the action to a "real" coup de grace? Does healing in this way take a full-round action and provoke AoO's? Also, i presume you intend the bearer to be able to use this action on himself.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-06, 03:15 AM
So, with regards to the fluff of healing with the sword: does the wielder physically plunge the blade into the patient? Does it go all glow-ey, or does the weapon actually penetrate the flesh?

Also, how similar is the action to a "real" coup de grace? Does healing in this way take a full-round action and provoke AoE's? Also, i presume you intend the bearer to be able to use this action on himself.

The sword works by being stabbed into the patient. If the target is willing then they can be coup de graced with the same rules applying (apart from the fact that health is restored) but they don't have to be.

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 10:28 AM
Two questions. 1.Is there any enhancement bonus?2. If there is does that and/or the user's strength score apply to the damage healed? I like it though.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-06, 12:03 PM
Two questions. 1.Is there any enhancement bonus?2. If there is does that and/or the user's strength score apply to the damage healed? I like it though.

No and yes.

Atticus Bleak
2008-02-06, 11:23 PM
Wow, this many people and still no one has said it? Its a healing shiv! (sorry, obscure 8-bit theatre reference...) Wait...Capn, Redmage is your avatar, how did you not notice? :smallbiggrin: Anyway, i like it, it reminds me of the item.i wanna say in complete champion or BOED, but it was a pair of gauntlets that paladins used to interrogate, if you punch someone with them and they have a good alignment then it cast heal moderate (or minor? i dun remember) wounds, but if they were evil it didn't, thus if your punch caused lasting damage then you had a villain...But i like this better, very useful against undead.

Cuddly
2008-02-06, 11:28 PM
For a CdG, what happens if you hack someone's head off with it?

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-07, 03:34 AM
For a CdG, what happens if you hack someone's head off with it?

It heals the cut as it goes along, so you can't.

Magnor Criol
2008-02-08, 11:32 AM
The only real comment I have is that you forgot to delete the last sentence, about ranged weapons applying the property to their arrows, in the description for the Merciful property.

Otherwise, a good healing item with a fun twist to it.

Curiosity. If you stab the sword into someone, can you leave it in them? An idea occurs to me wherein you use the sword to intimidate people - convince them you're crazy by "killing" a friend, stabbing the sword into him and getting him to play along by falling down "dead". Though, a lack of blood may be suspect.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-08, 12:14 PM
The only real comment I have is that you forgot to delete the last sentence, about ranged weapons applying the property to their arrows, in the description for the Merciful property.

Otherwise, a good healing item with a fun twist to it.

Curiosity. If you stab the sword into someone, can you leave it in them? An idea occurs to me wherein you use the sword to intimidate people - convince them you're crazy by "killing" a friend, stabbing the sword into him and getting him to play along by falling down "dead". Though, a lack of blood may be suspect.

Yes you can leave it in someone, I didn't think of that.

Uncle_Putte
2008-02-23, 04:52 AM
Hmm. Intresting sword. May I recommend for reading Mika Waltari's classic, the Adventurer. It's a historical novel written in the war years, and of late medieval europe, and one of the characters appearing in the book is Paracelsus himself. And to add to that, the bloke actually lugs about a sword with supposedly magical properties. This one was an executioner's greatsword though, and suffice to say, not a nice item indeed. The sword's properties aren't discussed more than in the passing though, but Paracelsus gets a good deal of attention. Nevertheless, though, 's a good read.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-23, 10:38 AM
Hmm. Intresting sword. May I recommend for reading Mika Waltari's classic, the Adventurer. It's a historical novel written in the war years, and of late medieval europe, and one of the characters appearing in the book is Paracelsus himself. And to add to that, the bloke actually lugs about a sword with supposedly magical properties. This one was an executioner's greatsword though, and suffice to say, not a nice item indeed. The sword's properties aren't discussed more than in the passing though, but Paracelsus gets a good deal of attention. Nevertheless, though, 's a good read.

Paracelsus was actually a real person who's considered the father of toxicology (the study of poisons). He's credited with inventing the phrase "the dose makes the poison" and he did have a legend following him around that there was a spirit/demon/imp or what have you living in his sword which is what inspired this item.

phoenixcire
2008-09-19, 10:33 AM
It reminds me of an item in a book I once read. Now, if that didn't have enough vague for you, I can't remember the books name. But in it, this sword(which looked entirely unremarkable) could instantly heal all wounds. In fact, I believe someone steals it by shoving it in his stomach and then jumping off a cliff.

Besides that, there were numerous other swords with great abilities. One was a stone cutter that...well...cut stone. Like a hot knife through butter. There was also a sword that had to be used solely for defense. It wouldn't allow itself to attack an unarmed person. Twas a great selection of swords.

Almn
2008-09-19, 11:02 AM
It's The Book of Swords by Fred Sabernagain
Always liked doomgiver; shame they had to break so fast :(

phoenixcire
2008-09-19, 11:28 AM
It's The Book of Swords by Fred Sabernagain
Always liked doomgiver; shame they had to break so fast :(

Yeah, that's it. Thanks a lot! I had a DM once who made a campaign out of The Book of Swords. Stonecutter made things too easy...we had to pause so the DM could think of a new way to run the game.

Zexion
2010-01-18, 03:59 PM
I just had an amazing campaign idea: What if the king's selection of amazing and wondrous swords was stolen? And each gaming session, the group would fight a kind of "boss" that used a magic sword? That would be really fun...

ApatheticDespot
2010-01-18, 10:38 PM
I love this idea, this would be a great item to give the party's nemesis if you want your players to really be seeing stars. It wouldn't even matter if the adventure was on rails, they'd be gunning for the villain like never before.

I'm genuinely curious to see if anyone figures out what I think is so funny. :smallbiggrin:

Drakevarg
2010-01-18, 10:46 PM
Your rather obnoxious use of italics would imply a Resident Evil reference.

Milskidasith
2010-01-18, 10:50 PM
It seems a little bit weak for an artifact. An unenhanced sword that deals low damage and heals people?

Glimbur
2010-01-18, 10:58 PM
How does it interact with other sources of bonus damage, like power attack, sneak attack, skirmish, insightful strike, shadow blade, etc?

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-19, 03:30 AM
I love this idea, this would be a great item to give the party's nemesis if you want your players to really be seeing stars. It wouldn't even matter if the adventure was on rails, they'd be gunning for the villain like never before.

I'm genuinely curious to see if anyone figures out what I think is so funny. :smallbiggrin:

I believe you are referencing the railgun from the end of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which acted as that iteration's traditional (for a Resi game) "Massive weapon to kills the final boss deader than dead with" plot device.

I didn't even need to google it. :smalltongue: