PDA

View Full Version : question about Tome of Battle

Bellmaethorion
2008-02-05, 10:22 AM
In the ToB, the different classes have access to only a few disciplines, like the Swordsage, who can only use Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw.
is there a balancing reason for this, or is it only because of fluff?

Charity
2008-02-05, 10:40 AM
You understand that is the majority of the disciplines you have just quoted there...
It surely is a balance issue and also a method of seperating the three classes flavourwise.
It is quite possible to get manouvers from other disciplines, in fact it is nessisary for the Prc Master of ten, or whatever it's called.

Nebo_
2008-02-05, 10:40 AM
Yes.

A bit of both, I'd say.

Draz74
2008-02-05, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure you could come up with some nasty-broken combos if you could make a Diamond Mind/Iron Heart/Shadow Hand Crusader, yes. So I'd say balance is an issue.

Townopolis
2008-02-05, 07:51 PM
it's to prevent things like a level 1 warblade using Burning Blade, Punishing Stance, and Steel Wind to do 4d6 damage to 2 enemies in one turn.

Or Aura of Triumph combining with Dancing Mongoose and other Tiger Claw Maneuvers.

Unless, of course, you want to dip levels in this or take this and that feat.

thubby
2008-02-05, 08:01 PM
the crusaders exclusive school (the name of which i cant think of) would be broken if a swordsage could use it on command.

blue_fenix
2008-02-05, 08:01 PM
It's a combinations of flavor and balance. One reason is that if all three classes had access to all 9 disciplines, then everyone would pick the same best maneuvers regardless of class. As-is, Crusader (the least martial and most divine) gets 3, Warblade (the most purely martial) gets 5 I think, and Swordsage (the most skilled, the most versatile, but also the physical weakest) gets 6.

A.Sondergaard
2008-02-05, 08:07 PM
the crusaders exclusive school (the name of which i cant think of) would be broken if a swordsage could use it on command.I'm curious, why would you think that? Crusaders almost certainly do a better job of "at will"ing their maneuvers than a Swordsage ever would. That they're granted randomly isn't such a big deal, since a particular maneuver would be ready again in at most 3 rounds, wherein they could be doing other things apart from, say, initiate-refresh-initiate-refresh...