PDA

View Full Version : Happy Pancake day!!!

Ranna
2008-02-05, 10:58 AM
IS everyone going to be having pancakes????? And what is people giving up for lent?

I dont have time for pancakes this year :smallfrown: but i am giving up cheese and butter for lent!

Castaras
2008-02-05, 11:01 AM
I'm probably going to give up what I always give up at this time of year.

I'm giving up giving up for Lent. :smallbiggrin:

Skippy
2008-02-05, 11:03 AM
I have no idea what are you talking about, since I am not from a country that has a Pancake Day, though it sounds amazing. What is Pancake Day?

Telonius
2008-02-05, 11:07 AM
Pancakes on Mardi Gras isn't a tradition here.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-05, 11:11 AM
I'm not Christian, so I don't follow it (I also hate the idea of giving up things unless it has an actual benefit for me). I hate pancakes anyway (I really like golden syrup, though).

Ranna
2008-02-05, 11:15 AM
I'm probably going to give up what I always give up at this time of year.

ah same as my boyfriend then, he also has new years resolutions to not have new years resolutions

and pancake day is my favorite holiday, u just eat alot of pancakes though it isnt as exciting as mardi gras but mardi gras = fat tuesday and pancake day is all about using the last reserves of fat and flour in your pantry for the supposed fasting period that is lent (according to religion, i think some could probably give a better explaination)

I aint religious either i just do it for the challenge...last year i gave up all dairy, no chocolate, no cake no cereal ooo it was fun and i dont know how people who never eat dairy do it phew!!!

Emrylon
2008-02-05, 11:17 AM
Woo Pancake day!

For those who don't know its not very complicated, its basicly a day where a lot of people eat pancakes. I may be wrong but I think its a sort of pre lent thing where people said to use the spare flour, eggs, milk and sugar so they wouldn't have them over lent

hippie_dwarf
2008-02-05, 11:30 AM
Pancakes with sugar and lemon juice, can't be beaten (well it can but then you'd end up with a mashed, ruined pancake and where's the fun in that :smallbiggrin: ). WOO PANCAKES!

Archonic Energy
2008-02-05, 11:36 AM

i'm giving up Drinking, Smoking,& Driving for lent :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-05, 11:48 AM
I <3 Pancakes.
Every saturday is pancake day. If saterday isnt pancake day, sunday is.

I <3 Pancakes.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-05, 12:12 PM
Yaay! Pancake Day! I'm having mine with honey, insta-milkshake powder, lemon, sugar and banana! Yum!

Not sure about what to give up stuff for Lent. Not a Christian, but still considering it.

Lady Tialait
2008-02-05, 12:41 PM
Yay pancake day!...*gets herself sick on pancakes* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

um...as for lent...i don't worry aobut such things, but heck I have been bord with life latly. Might as well complicate it...um...i'll give up....anything I don't grow myself, and Hops (I have alot of stuff from this summer that I grew, but I don't like cooking it...and I drink beer with lunch and dinner...so...that will be a little bit tough to give up)

Mc. Lovin'
2008-02-05, 12:53 PM
Does it have to be giving up? D:
I ... uh ... will give up not going on walks?

Alarra
2008-02-05, 12:56 PM
It's pancake day? I never knew this....I love pancakes. *considers getting pancakes*

Dihan
2008-02-05, 12:58 PM
Eww pancakes. No thanks.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-05, 01:07 PM
It has nothing to do with giving things up!:smalleek:

It is all about letting yourself go and eating as many pancakes as you can! And if possible bake them yourself!
[quote=doihaveaname?]Eww pancakes. No thanks.[/B]

Gah:smalleek: You pancake-not liker.
I banish thou! I banish thou to the seven hells, I slice and dice your body into pieces which are no larger then your d20, I shall ressurect thou a million, no scratch that, a zillion times and kill you each time painfully!:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Lady Tialait
2008-02-05, 01:11 PM
YAY my hubby just said 'We are going to IHOP' all you can eat Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps around loving it*
Wait...bake pancakes?...I always panfry pancakes...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-05, 01:32 PM
Ehm panfry? What does Panfry mean? My english is not sufficient enough to know that word, and wikipedia does not have an article about it.......

H. Zee
2008-02-05, 02:03 PM
I've just eaten 4 pancakes and I'm about ready to explode now, thanks. :smallsmile:

Even though I'm not a Christian, I always give things up for Lent because I enjoy the challenge - it's like a test of self-control. This year I'm giving up all kinds of chocolate and all kinds of sweets.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-05, 02:40 PM
Ehm panfry? What does Panfry mean? My english is not sufficient enough to know that word, and wikipedia does not have an article about it.......

Typical English-style pancakes involve making a light batter, sticking in a wide pan, and frying it quickly, making sure to toss it over, so it has a crisp, even texture.

LightWraith
2008-02-05, 02:43 PM

^Bah, my first simu-post.

Panfry would be to fry in a pan. We Americans like to crush poor words together if at all possible :)

Also... pancake day... It's been a while, and they would be delicious. Might have to see if I can make that happen.

I never give anything up for Lent.. I just give stuff up in order to improve my health/life. I've quit drinking alcohol or any kind of soda, along with caffeine. If I could stay away from sweet stuff I'd be doing great.

Lady Tialait
2008-02-05, 03:08 PM
Indeed I love crushing the poor little words till they squeel. and as soon as my husband gets his mother ready (she is blind and cannot walk or do pretty much anything by herself) we are going to eat pancakes till we pop..YAAAY...three cheers for pancakes!

SweetLikeLemons
2008-02-05, 03:15 PM
So how do you make you make pancakes, Dallas-Dakota? If you have to bake them, I imagine they come out quite different from what I think of when you say pancakes.

And sugar and lemon juice on pancakes? That is intriguing. I like maple syrup, but that much sweetness makes me sick if I eat more than a couple pancake's worth.

My favorite way to eat pancakes is with blueberries in them. Yum. I'd never heard of Pancake Day until today, but it sounds like a tradition I would gladly adopt. Perhaps I will dig the last of my wild blueberries out of the freezer and celebrate with you.

Telonius
2008-02-05, 03:39 PM
^Bah, my first simu-post.

Panfry would be to fry in a pan. We Americans like to crush poor words together if at all possible :)

I'm pretty sure the Germans are the world champions at putting words together (Weltmeisterwoerterzusammenbringer).

Raider
2008-02-05, 03:42 PM
.........I ate waffles actually. I didn't know!

O and I will probably give up chicken for lent

Admiral Squish
2008-02-05, 04:02 PM
Powdered sugar, brown sugar, or syrup, all are amazing on pancake day!

Do dutchbabies count for this holiday?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-05, 04:05 PM
Actually the meaning of panfrying is the same as baking for me, only baking takes a bit longer...

Sleet
2008-02-05, 04:10 PM
It's pancake day??? Jumpin' Jimminy Christmas! Why was I not informed of this earlier?!!

I must make my world-famous from-scratch gingerbread flapjacks for dinner tonight.

And I'm not giving up anything for Lent, but I wish those who will the best in their observance. :smallsmile:

Rockphed
2008-02-05, 04:18 PM
I know not this Pancake day. It is Paczki day. Now, get ye down to ye polish bakery and eat a fruit filled, deep fried, relative of the donut!

Ranna
2008-02-05, 04:18 PM
My friend came round and made me pancakes whilst i was working...love my friend yay had pancakes even though i didnt think i was going to get time too

And i had sugar and lemon on them just like the old days

yum yum yum

Pagz
2008-02-05, 04:34 PM
Yay, Its pancake day! (although knowing me, I won't actually have any pancakes)

Hmm... However, Lent is something I also forgot about. What should I give up? I have absolutely no clue... maybe instead of giving up something, I should do something for lent instead? I think I'd feel better that way.

PlatinumJester
2008-02-05, 04:40 PM
The best holidays are the always the ones that involve food and/or presents.

Alarra
2008-02-05, 04:59 PM
Milk and sugar on pancakes is very tasty.

Emrylon
2008-02-05, 05:27 PM
I had good old Lemon juice and sugar on my pancaks today, very nice.

I'm going to try and give up as much unhealthy food as I can for lent.

Dihan
2008-02-05, 05:34 PM
Eww pancakes. No thanks.

Gah:smalleek: You pancake-not liker.
I banish thou! I banish thou to the seven hells, I slice and dice your body into pieces which are no larger then your d20, I shall ressurect thou a million, no scratch that, a zillion times and kill you each time painfully!:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

You'll have to catch me first! *cue Benny Hill theme*

You'll never take me alive!

Pyro
2008-02-05, 07:14 PM
Mmmmmm pancakes.

I had pancakes last night with chocolate chips. Yummy...

BizzaroStormy
2008-02-05, 07:26 PM
I'm not giving up squat, screw the holidays.

My school actually served pancakes...sort of.

Its like a corndog only the dog is replaced with sausage and its dipped in pancake batter.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-05, 07:42 PM
*gasp!*

alas, i did not know it was pancake day :smallfrown:

and as i'm not a Christian (and have no self control) i wont be giving up anything for lent.

Admiral Squish
2008-02-05, 07:44 PM
I'd like to direct your collective attention here (http://www.knight-rider.org/anderson/pancake_bunny.jpg).

EmeraldRose
2008-02-05, 07:56 PM
*looks around the thread for pancakes*

I don't see any...did everyone eat them all?

I have not really been keeping track of when stuff is coming up, and forgot about this one...

Charity
2008-02-06, 10:08 AM
i'm giving up Drinking, Smoking,& Driving for lent :smallwink:

I'm giving up on doing all three at once, does that count?

I only got one pancake this year :smallfrown:
As I am not religious however I think I'll have a shrove Wednesday as well... perhaps a shrove thursday might go down well.

Archonic Energy
2008-02-06, 10:18 AM
I'm giving up on doing all three at once, does that count?

I only got one pancake this year :smallfrown:
As I am not religious however I think I'll have a shrove Wednesday as well... perhaps a shrove thursday might go down well.

i'd like to see someone try to Drive, smoke & drink simutaniously... :smalleek:

what about "shrove Friday" too... something to end the week on.

you could always give up not having pancakes for lent :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2008-02-06, 10:30 AM
Those who have no taste for pancakes, please pass them my way.

I shall use them to bury Archie! :smallamused:

Archonic Energy
2008-02-06, 11:18 AM

(immediatly thinks of the simpsons scene where homer is sent to hell and has to eat "all the donuts in the world)

*sharpens fork*

you can try...

mmmmmm pancakes :smalltongue:

Trog
2008-02-06, 11:21 AM
Dang. Now I want pancakes. Today had to be the day I skipped breakfast. Mah!

*Hangs stocking so the flapjack fairy will come during the night*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-06, 11:43 AM

*steals pancakes*
*eats*

Zombie pixe
2008-02-06, 01:39 PM
whooooo for the pancakes :smallsmile: :smallcool:

um... i think i have said enough really :smallamused:

Mad Scientist
2008-02-06, 01:45 PM
Although I was raised Catholic, we never observed Lent.
I have never heard of pancake day, but it sounds tasty. Would someone be willing to share their recipe?

Omicroncubed
2008-02-06, 01:50 PM
Pancake day? Nope, not a tradition out here. Although we DID make buns and put strawberry jam and cream in the middle of them.

And it was also J.L. Runeberg day as well.

Also pancakes are delicious :smallbiggrin: