PDA

View Full Version : [Template]Anthropomorphic creature (based on Fax_Celestis's template)

Threeshades
2008-02-05, 01:16 PM
The following template is based on the anthropomorphic creature template by Fax Celestis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37036). It's just a few changes actually and the wording is mostly copied from the original.
I made a new thread for it though, because I tend to be ignored if i post in other people's threads and the changes are at least in my opinion some of the changes are quite heavy.

Changes I made are:
Base creatures: I narrowed down the selection of base creatures slightly. Animals and vermin that have different size versions, such as sharks, monstrous spiders, monstrous scorpions and vipers, have been excluded, except for their medium-size or closest to medium size version. The reason for this was the fact that this usually resulted in a huge animal of its version often was weaker (less STR and CON) but more dextrous (more DEX obviously) than their smaller versions, as a result to the size changes to these abilities.

Saves: I tied the base save bonuses to the number of Hit Dice of the resulting creature, rather than just halving them. I did this mainly to keep consistency with other monstrous humanoids.

Abilities: The ability scores recieved heaviest changes: At first I added that the DEX score decreases by size increase of the creature, and increases by size decrease. Before, only STR and CON were modified by creature size.
Further I added that all STR scores below 4 should be treated as 4 before size adjustments because otherwise some anthropomorphic creatures would end up with a racial Strength modifier of -6, which is abysmal and would make them overly weak (for example rats and cats), also in the total modifier.

For the mental abilities I changed that INT will not be determined like the other mental stats. Instead it will be treated as +0 if the base creature has Int 2, +2 if more than 3 and -2 if less than 2 or no INT score. I did this because i wanted to keep a bit of they typical traits of the animals, and these are often tied to intelligence. Cats, weasels and rats are often considered intelligent creatures so they shouldn't get a -2 to their INT.

Languages: I added these, as there were no languages for the template before, and I thought a player with an anthropomorphic creature would appreciate, if their character could communicate verbally.

LA and CR: Here I specified a few more conditions that raise LA and CR of the anthropomorphic creature. Originally if the total racial ability modifier was above +0 the LA was raised. I added to this that for each 4 points above +0 the LA is raised by +1. By this i mean each started 4 points not full 4 points so a creature with a total +6 would already be LA/CR +2.
I also added adjustments for more than 4 extraordinary abilities, a land speed above 40' and for a certain number of uses of spell-like abilities per day.
I also fixed the wording in the CR

---------------------------------------
Creating an Anthropomorphic Creature
"Anthropomorphic" is a template that can be applied to any non-swarm animal, vermin, or--at DM's discretion--magical beast. If a kind of animal or vermin is available in different sizes, always use the one closest to medium size. You cannot use any other size for the base creature. A dire animal is always treated as a different kind of animal than its normal animal version in this regard.

Size and Type
An anthropomorphic creature's size is dependent on the size of the base creature. If the base creature was Tiny or smaller, the new creature's size is Small. If the base creature was Small, Medium, or Large, the new creature's size is Medium. If the base creature was Huge or bigger, the new creature's size is Large.

An anthropomorphic creature's type changes to Monstrous Humanoid, and it gains the (Augmented) subtype. The new creature also retains all subtypes of the original creature. If the base creature had the Aquatic subtype, the new creature also gains the Amphibious special quality (see below).

Since it is assuming a humanoid shape, an anthropomorphic creature's limbs change. Half the creature's limbs (round up to the nearest number evenly divisible by 2) become legs, so that a six-limbed creature would have two arms and four legs. If the base creature has no limbs (such as a snake or eel), the anthropomorphic creature gains two arms. If the base creature has two limbs, the anthropomorphic creature gains two legs.

Creatures with more than four arms as a result of this qualify for Multiweapon Fighting (see below), while those with more than four legs gain the Stability special quality (see below).

Hit Dice
The base creature loses half its hit dice (rounded down), to a minimum of 0. Creatures with 0 or 1 HD advance by class. Most anthropomorphic creatures have a favored class of Fighter, though Barbarian, Rogue, and Sorceror are not unheard of. This is largely up to DM discretion though.

Speed
An anthropomorphic creature has speed according to its size and original form. If the new creature is Small, it has a base speed of 20' or 1/2 the speed of the original form, whichever is greater. If the new creature is Medium or Large, it has a base speed of 30', or the speed of the original form, whichever is greater.

If the base creature has a fly speed, the new one does as well. This fly speed can only be used under a light load or less, and has a maximum speed of 1/2 the base creature's fly speed or 20', whichever is greater. The base creature's maneuverability also degrades one class: perfect to good; good to average; average to poor; poor to clumsy. If the base creature's maneuverability was clumsy, the new creature has wings but cannot fly under their power. Instead, it can glide for a distance equal to half the base creature's fly speed with a maneuverability of clumsy.

An anthropomorphic creature also retains any other forms of movement (swim, burrow, climb, etc.), though these speeds are halved (or are set at 20', whichever is greater).

Armor Class
An anthropomorphic creature has half the natural armor of the original form (rounded down).

Attacks
An anthropomorphic creature keeps any natural attacks or special attacks of the base creature that do not require the use of hind legs. These natural attacks scale according to the creature's size.

Special Qualities
An anthropomorphic creature retains any extraordinary special qualities (such as darkvision) of the base creature as-is. Further, an anthropomorphic creature retains the spell-like and supernatural abilities of the base creature, but changes the caster levels on such to equal to "one-half HD, rounded down (minimum 1)." Supernatural and spell-like abilites with uses per day are reduced to once per day; those with unlimited uses per day are reduced to three times per day.

Certain anthropomorphic creatures gain special qualities based on their forms.

Stability: An anthropomorphic creature with more than two legs gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Multiweapon Fighting: An anthropomorphic creature with more than two arms qualifies for the Multiweapon Fighting tree.

Amphibious: An anthropomorphic creature whose original form is aquatic gains the ability to survive equally well on land and in water.

Saves
An anthropomorphic creature has base saves according to its number of hit dice as monstrous humanoid.

Abilities
An anthropomorphic creature's physical racial ability modifiers can be determined by subtracting ten (or eleven, if odd) from the base creature's ability scores. Treat the base creature's strength and constitution scores as two points higher and the dexterity score as two points lower for each size category the anthropomorphic creature increases, or treat the strength and constitution scores as two points lower and the dexterity score as two points higher for each size category the anthropomorphic creature decreases. If the base creatures Strength score is below 4, treat it as 4 before adjusting for size.

An anthropomorphic creature's racial ability modifiers for wisdom and charisma can be determined by the score itself. If the score is below 10, the creature has a -2 to that ability score. If the score is above ten, the creature has a +2 to that ability score.
The racial intelligence modifier is always +0 unless the base creature’s Intelligence score is lower than 2 or the base creature is mindless (it has a “-“ or "Ø" instead of an intelligence score). In this case the anthropomorphic creature has a -2 to that ability. If the base creature’s intelligence score is above 3, the anthropomorphic creature gets +2 to intelligence.

Skills
An anthropomorphic creature retains any racial skill bonuses of the base creature, though these are halved.

Feats
An anthropomorphic creature loses all feats of the original form, gaining feats as per the normal method of gaining Hit Dice.

Challenge Rating
Equal to Level Adjustment (see below) + Base creature's CR. If the creature does not have racial hit dice, the Challenge rating is equal to Level Adjustment + class levels.

Alignment
Usually TN.

Advancement
By character class. Anthropomorphic creatures do not advance by racial hit dice.

Languages
As base creature. If the base creature can't speak, the anthropomorphic creature's automatic languages are common and a new language named after the base creature. Bonus languages are: Terran, Sylvan and Gnoll. If the anthropomorphic creature has the aquatic subtype, it has Aquan rather than Terran as a bonus language. If the anthropomorphic creature has a fly speed it gains Auran as an additional bonus language. If the base creature is a vermin, change Gnoll for Thri-Kreen.

Level Adjustment
+0, modified by the following:

+1 for each extra pair of arms. +1 for each 4 points of total racial ability modifier above +0 (for example +2 for a creature with +4 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 INT and +2 WIS). +1 for natural armor greater than +2. +1 for a fly or burrow speed. +1 for each two daily uses of spell-like abilities. +1 for more than four extraordinary abilities. +1 for a land speed greater than 40 ft.
-1 for each two racial hit dice. This adjustment is only made to level adjustment and not to challenge rating and it cannot lower the level adjustment below 0.

--------------------
A few examples for anthropomorphic race adjustments:

Anthropomorphic Rat
-------------------
Small monstrous humanoid (augmented animal)
- Str -4, Dex +2, Con +2, Wis +2, Cha -2
- Speed 20' (4 squares); Climb 20', Swim 20'
- Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
- Natural weapon: Bite (1d4)
- Low-light vision (Ex)
- Scent (Ex)
- +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move silently checks.
- +4 racial bonus on Balance, Climb and Swim checks. An anthropomorphic rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb and Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
- +4 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard.
- An anthropomorphic rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks.
- Automatic languages: Rat, Common; Bonus languages: Gnoll, Sylvan, Terran
- Favored class: Usually rogue
- Level Adjustment +0 (CR equal to class lvls)

Antrhopomorphic Orca
--------------------
Large monstrous humanoid (augmented animal, aquatic)
- Str +14, Dex +6, Con +8, Wis +2, Cha -2
- Speed 30' (6 squares), Swim 25'
- Racial HD (4d8) Its hit dice as monstrous humanoid grant the anthropomorphic orca a base attack bonus of +4 and the following base save bonuses: FORT +1; REF +4; WIL +4
- Large size: -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
- Natural weapon: Bite (2d6)
- Natural armor bonus +3
- Blindsight 120 ft. (Ex)
- low-light vision (Ex)
- hold breath (Ex): An anthropomorphic orca can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Amphibious (Ex): An anthropomorphic whale gains the ability to survive equally well on land and in water.
- An anthropomorphic orca can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened.
- Automatic languages: Orca, Common; Bonus languages: Gnoll, Sylvan, Aquan
- Favored class: Usually fighter
- Level Adjustment: +6 (ECL 10, CR 11)

Anthropomorphic Scorpion
------------------------
Medium size monstrous humanoid (augmented vermin)
- Str +2; Con +4; Int -2; Cha -2
- Speed 40' (8 squares)
- Natural weapons: two claws (1d4) and a sting (1d4 plus poison)
- Natural armor bonus +2
- An anthropomorphic scorpion has two pairs of arms. One pair has prehensile claws, the other has normal hands. It thus qualifies for the Multiweapon Fighting tree.
- Darkvision 60 ft. (Ex)
- Tremorsense 60 ft. (Ex)
- Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check an anthropomorphic Scorpion deals automatic claw damage.
- Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an anthropomorphic scorpion must hit with a claw attack. An anthropomorphic scorpion can use either its Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for grapple checks, whichever is better.
- Poison (Ex): An anthropomorphic scorpion has a poisonous sting. Fort DC: 13, initial damage: 1d3 Con, secondary damage: 1d3 Con
- Stability (Ex): Due to its two extra pairs of legs, an anthropomorphic scorpion gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Automatic languages: Scorpion, Common; Bonus languages: Thri-Kreen, Sylvan, Terran
- Favored class: Usually barbarian.
- Level Adjustment +3 (CR 4+class lvls)

Anthropomorphic Deinonychus
---------------------------
Medium size monstrous humanoid (augmented animal)
- Str +8, Dex +4, Con +8, Wis +2
- Speed 60' (12 squares)
- Racial HD (2d8) Its hit dice as monstrous humanoid grant the anthropomorphic deinonychus a base attack bonus of +2 and the following base save bonuses: FORT +0; REF +3; WIL +3
- Natural weapons: 2 foreclaws (1d3) and a bite (2d4)
- Natural armor bonus +2
- Low-light vision (Ex)
- Scent (Ex)
- Pounce (Ex): If an anthropomorphic deinonychus charges, it can make a full attack.
- An anthropomorphic deinonychus has a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival checks.
- Automatic languages: Deinonychus, Common; Bonus languages: Gnoll, Sylvan, Terran
- Favored class: Usually ranger
- Level Adjustment: +4 (ECL 6)

Anthropomorphic Brown Bear
--------------------------
- Str +14, Dex +4, Con +6, Wis +2, Cha -2
- Speed 40' (8 squares)
- Racial HD (3d8) Its hit dice as monstrous humanoid grant the anthropomorphic brown bear a base attack bonus of +3 and the following base save bonuses: FORT +1; REF +3; WIL +3
- Natural weapons: 2 claws (1d6) and a bite (1d8)
- Natural armor bonus +2
- Low-light vision (Ex)
- Scent (Ex)
- Improved brab (Ex) To use this ability, an nathropomorphic brown bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
- +2 racial bonus on swim checks
- Automatic Languages: Brown bear, Common; Bonus languages: Gnoll, Sylvan, Terran
- Favored class: Usually fighter
- Level adjustment: +6 (ECL 9, CR 10)

Antropomorphic Rhinoceros
-------------------------
- Str +14, Dex +2, Con +8, Wis +2, Cha -2
- Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
- Racial HD (4d8) (4d8) Its hit dice as monstrous humanoid grant the anthropomorphic rhinoceros a base attack bonus of +4 and the following base save bonuses: FORT +1; REF +4; WIL +4
- Natural weapon: Gore (1d6)
- Natural armor bonus +3
- Low-light vision (Ex)
- Powerful charge (Ex) An anthropomorphic rhinoceros deals 2d6+(2xSTR mod) points of damage with its gore attack when it makes a charge.
- Automatic Languages: Rhinoceros, Common; Bonus languages: Gnoll, Sylvan, Terran
- Favored class: Usually barbarian
- Level adjustment: +3 (ECL 7, CR 7)

DracoDei
2008-02-05, 09:55 PM
Specifying what your changes were and why you made them might help people review this better.

Threeshades
2008-02-06, 07:30 AM
Oh, thanks. That's a good idea. Added that.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-06, 12:18 PM
Looks pretty solid. I had an alternative idea on how to fix ability scores, but you seem to have handled that fustercluck very nicely.

Sir Conkey
2008-02-06, 08:02 PM
I like it. I was kinda thinking about the language thing when I read Fax_Celestis's one. One question I have is about the Scorpion, Shouldn't it have 4 pairs of hands instead of two claws and two hands. Even though the fighting claws thing is pretty cool. I was under the impression those would change despite the inherent badassness.

Threeshades
2008-02-06, 11:08 PM
I don't see your point there.
A scorpion has 4 pairs of legs and one pair of claws. So 5 pairs of limbs half of which (rounded up) become legs (thats 3 pairs) leaving 2 pairs to become arms. One pair has claws (still can function as normal hands though), the other one was just legs so becomes normal hands.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-06, 11:45 PM
I always thought that with this sort of thing the number of legs for some creatures should be reduced.
I think 2 pairs of arms should be the limit so the resulting creature may have no more than 4 hands (or, in the case of Scorpionsfolk, 2 hands and 2 claws).
I also think that anthropomorphic also should be bipedal. Really if there's more than two legs it ends up being no so morphed in the anthro way. Anthropomorphic means humanoid and humanoid means standing upright on two feet.

That's just my personal opinion. I'd like to play a Scorpionfolk that stands up like a normal person rather than going around looking more like a centaur in build.

Sir Conkey
2008-02-07, 11:04 AM
Soooooooo, basically scorpinox from beasties? That would be awesome. Ah, good show when I was younger.

And I didn't get that his claws would be usable as hands as well, that makes alot more sense now.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-07, 03:29 PM
Haha, yes Beasties rocked. I take it you live in Canada since you call it by it's Canadian name.

Scorponok was the character who's death bothered me most. I guess it was because they never really decided on a solid character for him and had him go between stupid, but loyal and mad scientist. Since Tarantulus already had the man scientist thing covered they brought in Inferno who, though he had his cool points, was no one of my favorite characters because they played up the idiocy too much. They should have played up his sadistic pain loving nature and desire to burn everything.

Anyway, I think Anthropomorphic creatures should be bipedal and Beasties (or Beast Wars) was one of my favourite shows as a kid.

Sir Conkey
2008-02-07, 09:18 PM
Why yes I do live in Canada. And isnt it kinda a duel name? either way I agree that Skorponok's death was kinda annoying. Wow, off topic much?

ForzaFiori
2008-02-07, 10:09 PM
I also agree that they should be bipedal, but there should also be a limit on the number of pairs of arms so you dont get a broken character that played an anthropomorphic centipede.

maybe 2 or 3 pairs. I would vote 3 myself.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-07, 10:11 PM
It was originally called "Beast Wars" and in the USA they were OK with that title but, not wanting a kid's show called "war" the Canadian board of censorship or whatever it is made them change it to "Beasties" for airing on Canadian broadcasting channels.

Yeah, off topic a lot, haha.

Um... Animals... that look kind of like people...

There, back on topic.:smallbiggrin:

Sir Conkey
2008-02-08, 12:43 AM
Seems odd, Canada usualy tends to be more okay with war and stuff then the excited states of america, but I'll take your word for it.

Back to the subject at hand, when I think Anthropomorphic I think bipedal, or at the very least centauresque. But really it all comes down to a DM or player-DM decision.

Anthropomorphic Tyranasaurus would just kick so much ass... or a raptor.
Would a Anthropomorphic Snake be like a Yuan-Ti or like trogdor without the wings or muscle arm

Rowanomicon
2008-02-08, 11:30 AM
Street Sharks!

Haha, this is become a 90s cartoon nostalgia thread. You can't fight it.

The thing about Centauresque creatures is that, while cool, they are not totally human shaped (Anthropomorphic), but I suppose more human shaped than some...

souldoubt
2008-02-08, 02:30 PM
This is pretty cool. It'd be fun to play a campaign with nothing but anthropomorphic animal PCs -- preferrably in a world of normal races where everyone is quite confused by an adventuring party made up of humanoid beasts. :smallbiggrin:

I'm thinking you should check out the standard D&D rules for Size Increases (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases), and maybe try basing some of the ability changes on that. The rules state, for instance, that a creature increased from size Medium to size Large gains +8 Str, -2 Dex, and +4 to Con. Logically then, shouldn't a creature that has it's size is decreased from Large to Medium then LOSE 8 Str and 4 Con, rather than just 2 and 2 respectively?

Just a thought. Such a change could reduce LAs, which is always nice, IMO. If losing 8 Str seems a bit extreme, you could always half some of the larger values, so the anthropomorphic critter loses 4 Str and 2 Con instead.

Threeshades
2008-02-08, 06:05 PM
This is pretty cool. It'd be fun to play a campaign with nothing but anthropomorphic animal PCs -- preferrably in a world of normal races where everyone is quite confused by an adventuring party made up of humanoid beasts. :smallbiggrin:

I'm thinking you should check out the standard D&D rules for Size Increases (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases), and maybe try basing some of the ability changes on that. The rules state, for instance, that a creature increased from size Medium to size Large gains +8 Str, -2 Dex, and +4 to Con. Logically then, shouldn't a creature that has it's size is decreased from Large to Medium then LOSE 8 Str and 4 Con, rather than just 2 and 2 respectively?

Just a thought. Such a change could reduce LAs, which is always nice, IMO. If losing 8 Str seems a bit extreme, you could always half some of the larger values, so the anthropomorphic critter loses 4 Str and 2 Con instead.

it would reduce LAs indeed but we'd again end up with some ridiculous ability bonuses/penalties. Just like the -2 strength/Con huge sharks from the savage species template.

About the bipedal thing. I see your point. If its not bipedal its not really anthropomorphic. Or humanoid for that matter. The point about the template though is, as i see it, much more to make animals playable races, that are not impared by their extreme size or the mere fact that they dont have hands. So they can freely choose classes and equipment like any other character.Maybe I could make an optional ruling, making vermin and other multi-limbed (or limbless, such as snakes) creatures bipedal. (though I dont see the point in being a bipedal centipede, that would be a bipede then I guess)

Rowanomicon
2008-02-08, 09:14 PM
I do think that there should be the option of making them bipedal or making them simply humanoid in their upper half and more like Centaurs or Merpeople in shape.

Centipedes are one creature that i think would have to maintain it's multitude of legs and simply gain more human like arms and head structure.