PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a script [not anymore]

Zweanslord
2008-02-05, 04:24 PM
Recently, I have tried my hands at making some art on this forum, so mostly in the Order of the Stick style. I have found that I get more productive when doing it for a specific purpose, instead of just doing something. To test that statement, I am looking for a scriptwriter to make a script for a small comic, somewhere between 5 to 20 pages. In cooperation, I will then use it in the creation of a comic in the Order of the Stick style.

If you are interested, I ask that you give me a concept of the short story you have in mind. It does not need to be completely worked out, for there are others who might be interested as well. I will, after all, only pick one scriptwriter to work with. The decision whom I pick from those interested will be based on the presented concepts, thus, which one I like most and think fits best with my capabilities.

What I am looking for in the script is a light-hearted tone and not something overly complex to draw. Thus I am not looking for a story where phoenixes genocide pixie princesses in the volcano city of complicated sparkling architecture. Further, I am looking for a range of 5 to 20 pages to make, thus your script should be able to deal with those constraints. Also take into consideration that I will be doing the comic in the Order of the Stick style, as stated earlier.

My intention is not to take any longer than a month to create this comic. This will of course be shorter for smaller scripts than longer scripts. Further, to show what kind of skills I possess, I present some of my previous Order of the Stick style work.

Gnome Wizard:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6589/person3small2kb5.jpg
Single Shot Comic “Dominate”:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9629/scoobychrono2to6.jpg
Girl in front of window:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7773/girlwindowqq1.jpg
Avatar Battle Royale, introduction of own character:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/346/abr1dk0.jpg
Latest Avatar Battle Royale participation:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/324/abr3ab7.jpg

I now selected a concept, thus this is the end of the thread.

Nameless
2008-02-05, 04:38 PM
Hmmmm... how about pie overlords destroy humanity and only a small group of travelers can save the world from being covered in chiken and gravy! :smallbiggrin:

Blayze
2008-02-05, 06:21 PM
I have an idea that I have been trying to make into a series of novels, but I believe it can also work quite well as a historic overview (That is, nothing is really touched on in the sort of detail you would expect from a story that is meant to happen in the present ("This is now now."), as if somebody was telling a story rather than living it.

Basically, it revolves around a 'fantasy' world in which magic merely exists in fairy tales, which then (Due to a spectacular combination of accident and coincidence) does *not* get blown up during an intergalactic battle, and in fact survives due to the coincidence of a magic-like force being introduced to the planet because somebody couldn't keep their hands off an interdimensional rift.

A few hundred years later, and magic has truly taken root in the world like a new technology. It's widespread, accepted... and misused. The story basically follows some of the people affected by its introduction, from the woman who accidentally unleashed it upon her planet, to a small group of people brought together by accident and chance (Screw fate, I always say) during magic's prime, and finally some of those who lived in the time periods after it faded away.

I've been trying to write all my thoughts on it down, but I do have the basics of a cohesive plot (In other words, what happens). I'd be more than willing to supply you with the details if you wish to take me up on this.

Edit: Obviously, given the length of what I've got in mind for the story, I'd choose a part of it for this project of yours.

Szilard
2008-02-05, 07:59 PM
Do you have a specific genre in mind? or a time period in relation to earths history? Fantasy or Science? or do I decide those things?

Eita
2008-02-05, 09:36 PM
Eh. I'll call back when you're ready for an epic.

Zweanslord
2008-02-06, 03:04 AM
Good to see there is some interest in this. Despite the first wacky reply :smalltongue: .

I do not have a specific genre in mind, so it can be any genre, though admittedly some genres might not lend themselves too well to the Order of the Stick style.

Blayze, quite the plans you have. The concept seems workable, though you will indeed have to take into account the length. I am glad that you elaborated on the point in your edit.

And Eita, maybe that day will come, maybe not, we will see.

I will see if there is further interest, but I will chose on, let's say saturday. For anybody new looking, I only need a concept by then, we will work together to finalise what the end product will be.

Bayar
2008-02-06, 03:26 AM
How about a halfling sorcerer and an elven paladin, having a random encounter in the woods?

Blayze
2008-02-06, 08:53 AM
I will see if there is further interest, but I will chose on, let's say saturday.

Ah, another thing to look forward to.

"And the nominations are..."

Szilard
2008-02-06, 07:39 PM
I have a couple Ideas.
DnD related: an inevitable traking someone down
ABR related: what you did right before you you entered, maybe go back a few hours to a couple days, a couple months if not many events.
Non DnD: A dimension is overusing wormholes and that causes our world and theirs to come together, chaos ensues.

Cade Shadow
2008-02-06, 08:28 PM
A wizard exiled from his homelands. A princess captured by pirates. A warrior cast into dishonor. A Dark Wizard, scheming to conquer the world. A never-missing archer, trying to impress her beloved wizard. Returning home. Returning to grace. Saving the world. One Kingdom. One wizard. One party.

Coming soon to a Forum near you!

(non-theatrical version: Three people, trying to return home find that in order to be able to do so, they need to save their home.)

Zweanslord
2008-02-07, 05:58 AM
Well, bayar, your concept definitely sounds feasible and so does your D&D and ABR concepts, Szilard. The non-D&D concept seems a bit vague, however. You have detailed the background, but not what would happen inside the script.
Cade Shadow, nice theatrical introduction of your concept, heh. But do you think that the concept will be feasible within the size constraints I put forward?

Cade Shadow
2008-02-07, 06:19 AM
That is an entirely good point. I missed that on my first read-through. I'll either come up with a new idea and post it or leave out. gimme a moment.

Edit: Most of my ideas would take more than the allotted number of comics, so... I don't think I can help

banjo1985
2008-02-07, 06:31 AM
Snurk is a goblin...a goblin with problems. The adventurers are coming and he has only a scant few strips to get his ragtag band of thugs and simpletons ready for a fight. They will not take the treasure in the depths of the cave, Snurk will make sure of that. His band needs weapons, traps and a gameplan. Can the guards at the cave entrance stall the adventurers long enough to give Snurk a fighting chance?

Only time will tell....

Zweanslord
2008-02-07, 03:54 PM
That is a shame, Cade Shadow, but good luck with your ideas.

Banjo1985, that concept does sound feasible. But you state in your signature that your posting will be sporadic for the foreseeable future. Will you have enough time to work together on this?

Also, to refer back a bit, Blayze, I just realised it would be smart to ask which part of your story you would most likely chose. After all, the various stated parts do differ quite a bit.

Nameless
2008-02-07, 03:56 PM
I still think you should use the pie overlord Idea...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-07, 04:02 PM
I agree with nameless, only you should use cake, or else Castaras might get mad.

Nameless
2008-02-07, 04:07 PM
The cake is a lie...

Ash Williams
2008-02-07, 04:12 PM
This was a universe I was working on for a Mutants & Masterminds session. It's partially influenced by Samurai Jack:

In the late 22nd century, a clone brigade was created for any possible upcoming battles. Consisting of both male and female soldiers, the clones were of various nationalities/skin and hair variations/etc. (They had the same body types/facial structures, though). Taught in strategy, combat techniques (both unarmed and with weapons), and vehicular combat. Designed to be stronger, faster, and tougher than average humans, but with enhanced senses as well (with variations from clone to clone; for instance, one of them might have a "radar" ability like Daredevil, another might have x-ray vision, another might have dwarf-style darkvision, etc).

Anyway, after the clones were created (nearly 400 of them), it was decided "Eh, we don't need them". So the project was scrapped, the clones put in stasis booths, the building buried and forgotten. Fast forward a few thousand years.

Through some unknown means, the clones get woken up, to discover that about 75% of the clones have died due to faulty stasis booths. Plus, they have to adjust to a brave new world (basically, it's Samurai Jack, but with a different cast each week). Simply put, the clones want to find out "Why do we exist?"

Generally, their personalities are variant, from calm Jedi-like tones to Wolverine rage. Their outfits are similar to 30th-century Legion of Super-Hero-style costumes, in various color schemes.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-07, 04:13 PM
Wait, what about a comic about a paladin necromancer (hilarity and disregard for the core rules ensues).

Bayar
2008-02-07, 04:52 PM
Wait, what about a comic about a paladin necromancer (hilarity and disregard for the core rules ensues).

you do realise that this suggestion guaranteees you a spot in hell ... :smallbiggrin: , if you were refering at the LG paladin at least...because a LE paladin of T...whatshisname is possible.

Also, my idea of a halfling sorcerer and elf paladin is still standing, wont want to say more about it since it will count as a spoiler, but I think it could be cool...

Zweanslord
2008-02-07, 05:09 PM
At nameless and dallas-dakota :smalltongue: :

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/2013/dontspamzb7.jpg

Now, on to the more serious people and matters, heh.

Ash Williams, well first of all I never did see Samurai Jack, but I doubt that will be a problem. Sounds like an interesting concept, but I think you will have to consider the size constraint put forward in the first post as well. What part of that concept would be executed in a 5-20 page comic? Or do you think it is feasible within that length?

Bisected8, while definitely an uncommon and possibly interesting combination, what would you have in mind as actually happening? And indeed, as bayar said, what would the alignment of said character be? And bayar, thanks for participating in the discussion.

Bayar
2008-02-07, 05:31 PM
there are paladins of law and chaos that smite the opposite allignment on the law-chaos axis too...forgot their names as well :(

Ichneumon
2008-02-07, 05:37 PM
What about a 5 page comic about this serial killer energy monster in a dialogue with the person who is send by the government to kill him? Just a random idea I had this morning.

I have no clear ideas yet, but the dialogues would be about why he does it and how he hates everything and how no one understands him etc.

Ash Williams
2008-02-07, 06:13 PM
Ash Williams, well first of all I never did see Samurai Jack, but I doubt that will be a problem. Sounds like an interesting concept, but I think you will have to consider the size constraint put forward in the first post as well. What part of that concept would be executed in a 5-20 page comic? Or do you think it is feasible within that length?

Well, the first 2-3 pages could give a brief rundown of the clone project, the shutting down and burial of the project. The rest of the comic could be the clones (maybe just a few at first) reviving and discovering that the world is different from the one they knew. Essentially, it'd be the episode that introduces the rest of the series idea (much like "The End" from Series I of Red Dwarf), so to speak.

Blayze
2008-02-07, 06:45 PM
Also, to refer back a bit, Blayze, I just realised it would be smart to ask which part of your story you would most likely chose. After all, the various stated parts do differ quite a bit.

Not the end part, as that's the one I've got the least content fleshed out for. It'd have to be the earlier bits, most likely starting either at or near the very beginning, and ending at the end of the first half of the story (It's a cleaner cut that way).

Failing that, I could always write a bit more detail in and concentrate on the early section entirely (A clean cut is possible at a certain point, and it might be easier to manage than the above way).

Either way, it looks like it'll start with the introduction of magic and end either at its disappearance or before the real protagonists come of age. In other words, it means "Fantasy, LOL."

Lyinginbedmon
2008-02-07, 06:47 PM
Well, the first 2-3 pages could give a brief rundown of the clone project, the shutting down and burial of the project. The rest of the comic could be the clones (maybe just a few at first) reviving and discovering that the world is different from the one they knew. Essentially, it'd be the episode that introduces the rest of the series idea (much like "The End" from Series I of Red Dwarf), so to speak.

Partially for the mention of Red Dwarf, I think this would be a good idea.

Szilard
2008-02-07, 09:22 PM
My non DnD idea was basically a ripoff of the future of my own webcomic. You could have some Indiana Jones like explorer exploring the secrets of a monument.

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-08, 08:16 AM
Bisected8, while definitely an uncommon and possibly interesting combination, what would you have in mind as actually happening? And indeed, as bayar said, what would the alignment of said character be? And bayar, thanks for participating in the discussion.

I was thinking along the lines of a LG deity which has an objective view of life. i.e. The body is just a lump of meat that the soul's stored in so there's nothing wrong with turning it into undead when they're gone. Said necromancer had so many levels as a wizard or sorcerer, then repents and becomes a paladin of said god (who allows them to continue create undead because of the aformentioned world view).

banjo1985
2008-02-08, 09:15 AM
Banjo1985, that concept does sound feasible. But you state in your signature that your posting will be sporadic for the foreseeable future. Will you have enough time to work together on this?

That's mainly aimed at the various games I'm involved in, the weekends are the only times when I cannot get on here at all. I don't see there being a problem with me getting on long enough to send you a few strips. The idea I have is probably looking towards the high end of your alloted comic strips.

If you want examples of my writing, I have my own webcomic on this site, though I'm cuurently moving the artistic burden to another forumite. It's Whitefeather and strips 11-21 are probably the best examples of the stuff I write.

Zweanslord
2008-02-09, 11:41 AM
Alright, I have been thinking over the course of today whom I should select from you all.

My final decision is that I will accept the concept from: Blayze

And to the rest, Szilard, bayar, banjo1985, Ash Williams, Bisected8 and Ichneumon, thank you for your interest. Perhaps I will pick your concept if there is a next time.

Nameless
2008-02-09, 11:51 AM
there are paladins of law and chaos that smite the opposite allignment on the law-chaos axis too...forgot their names as well :(

How about a Dervish/Necromancer if we're not going buy D&D rules?