PDA

View Full Version : Trying to better myself

Burley
2008-02-05, 05:43 PM
Okay, so, My warlock. You've probably read quite a few posts about him, and, if you have, you'll realize I either know little about the game, or my ideas are criz-azy.
Here's my newest set:
I've taken Eldritch Glaive and getting tons of mileage out of it. But, since I focused on Dex-ing out my character for the Blast (not knowing about the Glaive at the time), my attack is only BAB, which is still pretty decent.
But, here's my question. Would a spell-like ability weapon such as Eldritch Glaive count as a natural weapon for the sake of Weapon Finesse?
I understand that it isn't on the specifics list, and it isn't a light weapon, even though it has literally NO weight. And, I know it techinically needs to be wielded with two hands, but a spiked chain does, too. And, before anybody starts on my case about the spiked chain being delicate and flexible and all that: I know. Chains and Glaives aren't the same thing. I'm just saying that two-handed weapons are in there.
Plus, on the natural weapon topic, the Eldritch Glaive is very much a part of the user. It's not like Hideous Blow that just pumps a weapon. It's using your eldritch energies to craft an extention of yourself.

Am I too off base to try a Diplomacy check against my DM?

AslanCross
2008-02-05, 06:04 PM
I believe Complete Arcane mentions that the Eldritch Blast (and by extension, the E-Glaive) is a weaponlike spell. It would qualify for Weapon Focus and similar feats, but I highly doubt that Weapon Finesse applies to it. (It's a touch attack anyway, so not having a really high AB isn't so bad unless you're fighting high-Deflection AC creatures.)

Interestingly enough, magical buffs don't give bonuses to the damage the e-glaive deals, since it still deals damage as a spell.

EDIT: I stand corrected. CArc explicitly mentions that touch spells qualify for weapon finesse. Have a blast. :D

The following can work with touch spells:
-Improved Critical
-Improved Unarmed Strike---you can add the damage of your touch spell to an unarmed strike, but you have to hit the creature's full AC instead of touch AC. Damage from the spell is not multiplied even if the unarmed strike crits.
-Point Blank Shot
-Precise Shot
-Stunning Fist (see improved unarmed strike above)
-Weapon Finesse
-Weapon Focus

Arbitrarity
2008-02-05, 06:10 PM
Isn't it a melee touch attack, thereby automatically dexterity based?

Wait, I can't find anything in the SRD supporting that... I guess my wizards are screwed.

This makes no sense!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-05, 06:12 PM
Isn't it a melee touch attack, thereby automatically dexterity based?

Wait, I can't find anything in the SRD supporting that... I guess my wizards are screwed.

This makes no sense!Melee touch attacks should be, but aren't. WotC doesn't seem to understand "intuitive, logical rulesets". Why does everyone use this system again?:smallconfused:

AslanCross
2008-02-05, 06:15 PM
I think the logic behind STR-based touch attacks is that a stronger opponent can grab your wrist to keep your hand from touching him. With Weapon Finesse, you know how to use your swiftness to hit him quickly instead of forcing your hand to connect.

EDIT: Of course, there may be absolutely no logic.