PDA

View Full Version : [PrC]Draug

Sulfura_Occulta
2008-02-05, 07:41 PM
first post. hello :smallsmile:

I'm currently building a campaign world based on ancient real world religions and cultures, scooping out the D&D pantheon of gods and cosmology and replacing it with religions and planes based on Norse, Ancient Greek, Ancient Egyptian, and Mayan paganism. As part of this project, I am building lots of different prestige classes to help the characters really mesh into this world. I do take a little bit of liberty with the mythology every now and then in order to make things more appropriate for role playing goodness.

so I am looking for feedback, opinions, comments, etc. This class is a general warrior (not professional warrior) class whose strength comes from powerful supernatural abilities. just to clarify, Hel is both a plane and the person who rules over it. Variant Rules (for the purpose of making this PrC non-campaign specific) are in red.

Draug
Draug are the dishonored dead warriors of Hel who rise from the grave. They hate the Aesir and all who hail them, or at the very best are destructively insane with jealousy of them. They have suffered the despair of Hel’s poisonous depths, and grown bitter. In return for being set free from this underworld and becoming Draug, they have pledged their loyalty to the dread queen Hel, sworn to answer summons to the battle of Ragnarok where they will fight against the Gods and their followers.
VARIANT Fluff text: Draug are the undead army of evil deities or powerful fiendish creatures. They serve as their master's forces on the material plane, sworn to spread the agenda of their liege.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Draug, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Non-Good
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Disguise 6 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks
Feats: Point Blank Shot or Power Attack
Special: The character must worship any of the Asgardian Pantheon gods and die a dishonorable death so her soul will reach the plane of Hel. Once dead and in the pits of sorrowful infinity, she must make her oath to Hel; to obey Hel, her father Loki, and to fight against the Aesir when Ragnarok arrives.
VARIANT Special: The character must make a pact with an evil deity or other evil creature of great power (such as a Baelor or Pit Fiend) to be raised from the dead as a Draug.

Class Skills
A Draug’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier
Hit Die: d12

The Draug
{table]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Undead, Decay, Strike the Flesh +1d8 2/day, Turning Resistance +2
2nd | +2 | +0 | +0 | +3| Stealthy
3rd | +3 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Strike the Flesh +2d8 3/day
4th | +4 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Decay, Drain Life, Turning Resistance +4
5th | +5 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Strike the Flesh +3d8 4/day
6th | +6 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Persuasive
7th | +7 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Decay, Strike the Flesh +4d8 5/day, Turning Resistance +6
8th | +8 | +2 | +2 | +6 | Mass Inflict Critical Wounds 1/day
9th | +9 | +3 | +3 |+6 | Strike the Flesh +5d8 6/day
10th | +10 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Decay, Desecration, Turning Resistance +8[/table]

Class Features
Undead: A Draug is a consciousness that has been transplanted back into its deceased body. The character’s type changes to undead. As an undead creature, Draug have the following traits:
No Constitution score.
Darkvision out to 60 ft.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities.
Positive energy (such as a Cure spell) damages undead, while negative energy (such as an Inflict spell) restores hit points for an undead creature.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Undead do not eat, sleep, or breathe.
Unlike other undead, Draug are not affected by Resurrection or True Resurrection spells.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Draug gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Decay: At first level, the decomposition of a Draug’s body causes her to suffer 1 point of ability drain to her Charisma score. This damage is permanent and cannot be restored even by magical means. The character suffers another point of Charisma drain every 3 levels beyond 1st.
Strike the Flesh (Su): As a move action, a Draug can focus negative energy into any melee or ranged attack twice a day to do an extra 1d8 damage to any living creature. Once the Draug has focused negative energy into her weapon, it is not dispersed until used. Even if she drops the weapon, the charge of negative energy remains.
At every other level beyond 1st, a Draug can use this ability once more per day to a maximum of 6/day at 9th level. Also at every other level beyond 1st, this attack deals an extra 1d8 damage per use, to a maximum of +5d8 at 9th level.
Turning Resistance (Ex): When subjected to a turning attempt, a Draug is treated as having 2 more hit dice than she actually does. At every three levels beyond 1st, this bonus increases by 2, to a maximum Turning Resistance of +8 at 10th level.
Stealthy: At 2nd level, a Draug gains Stealthy as a bonus feat.
Drain Life (Su): At 4th level, whenever a Draug uses her Strike the Flesh ability, she can choose to substitute the extra damage to drain the target’s Constitution. For each die of extra damage she gives up, she drains 1 point of Constitution on a successful hit (or 2 points on a critical hit). For each point of Constitution drained, the Draug is healed 5 hit points (or, if she had her maximum hit points at the time of the attack, she gains 5 temporairy hit points that last for up to 5 rounds).
She must choose to use Drain Life and how many dice of damage to substitute at the time of the attack, after she has focused the negative energy into a weapon. If the attack misses, the Draug may decide again to use Drain Life and how many dice of damage to substitute on her next attack.
Persuasive: At 6th level, a Draug gains Persuasive as a bonus feat.
Mass Inflict Critical Wounds (Su): Starting at 8th level, a Draug can cast Mass Inflict Critical Wounds as a spell-like ability once per day. Use the Draug’s class level to determine caster level.
Desecration (Su): At 10th level, Draug hold within themselves powerful reserves of negative energy. Any creature that attempts to turn a Draug must first make a Fortitude save (DC 15 + Draug’s Wisdom Modifier) or have 1 negative level bestowed upon it. If the save fails, the turning automatically fails. If the save succeeds, then the turn attempt continues normally.
Desecration does not apply to attempts to bolster the Draug.

Sulfura_Occulta
2008-02-05, 09:47 PM
added variant rules to make this class appropriate for any campaign, instead of just my own. still no thoughts? anybody?

Nebo_
2008-02-05, 10:38 PM
It seems to be a melee centered class, but you only gave it half BAB. Why? The pre-requisites are retarded. You shouldn't have to take two feats for mutually exclusive fighting styles.

pyrefiend
2008-02-05, 10:45 PM
It seems to be a melee centered class, but you only gave it half BAB. Why? The pre-requisites are retarded. You shouldn't have to take two feats for mutually exclusive fighting styles.

Don't be so hard on him, it's his first post. That said, this probably should get better BaB, and I would remove the point blank shot prerequisite because the prestige class as a whole doesn't focus on archery.

Sulfura_Occulta
2008-02-05, 10:46 PM
whoops, the BAB is an accident on my part, I meant for it to be average not poor. thats what I get for copy+paste.

noted the objections to the Point Blank Shot feat. in my defense I made this class some time ago, and it was the first I made up without basing it on something else. I believe my theory at the time was that a Draug didn't represent any particular combat style and could be an archer or a melee fighter. why that meant I should have two unrelated feats as prerequisites I don't know :smalltongue:. any suggestions for more appropriate feats?

pyrefiend
2008-02-05, 10:57 PM
That actually sounds like a great idea. It's just that with both of them, you force the character to have feats which represent very different fighting styles. One feat is enough.

HKJones
2008-02-06, 04:27 AM
If someone becomes undead, don't ALL their hitdice become d12s? Either way this would help against the loss of the con score. A little damage reduction probably wouldn't hurt either, just to compensate for only gaining 6.5 hps per level (not good for a melee class).

Also I don't like the capstone ability of the class. A blast of negative energy bestowing one negative level (fort negates) on any cleric/paladin trying to turn them would be cool as a replacement.

All in all however it looks like a very nice, solid PrC.

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 10:03 AM
Looks cool, I like the flavor. I second HKJones's idea for the capstone. Why do they get persuasive though?

Zenos
2008-02-06, 10:19 AM
Looks funny, although I, being a Norwegian, don't think of a Draug in that way.

Maldraugedhen
2008-02-06, 10:47 AM
Being familiar with Tolkien (admittedly probably a bit more so than with Norse mythology, regrettably), to me, Draug is wolf.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-02-06, 07:50 PM
For me Draug = Draugr from Morrowind.

Sulfura_Occulta
2008-02-06, 08:05 PM
I know this isn't 100% accurate to the origins of Draug. Draugr are, from the sources I read, basically a vampire-like creature originating from Scandinavia - but I thought it was close enough to make them Hel's warriors (like an anti-Einherjar). blame Amon Amarth, their song "For the Stabwounds in Our Backs" gave me the inspiration for this PrC.

Why do they get persuasive though?it balances the loss of Charisma from Decay, but only for skills I thought shouldn't suffer, Intimidation being the more important. Diplomacy is arguable, when you take into account this type of character would be diplomatic with other such nefarious creatures. Most humanoids would probably run from a Draug (or attack it) long before they debated the price of room and board for the night.

Also I don't like the capstone ability of the class. A blast of negative energy bestowing one negative level (fort negates) on any cleric/paladin trying to turn them would be cool as a replacement.thats a great idea, never even occurred to me! I think I'll add that right in. :smallbiggrin:

Caracol
2008-02-06, 08:10 PM
I really like the concept. Norse mithology is cool, I wish I could play using it istead of the normal pantheon during my sessions.

Zenos
2008-02-07, 09:06 AM
I know this isn't 100% accurate to the origins of Draug. Draugr are, from the sources I read, basically a vampire-like creature originating from Scandinavia - but I thought it was close enough to make them Hel's warriors (like an anti-Einherjar). blame Amon Amarth, their song "For the Stabwounds in Our Backs" gave me the inspiration for this PrC.

it balances the loss of Charisma from Decay, but only for skills I thought shouldn't suffer, Intimidation being the more important. Diplomacy is arguable, when you take into account this type of character would be diplomatic with other such nefarious creatures. Most humanoids would probably run from a Draug (or attack it) long before they debated the price of room and board for the night.

thats a great idea, never even occurred to me! I think I'll add that right in. :smallbiggrin:

For me, a Draug means the spirit of a drowned sailor that brings bad luck to sailors (Hmm, that would be fun, an undead class which bestows bad luck on enemies).