PDA

View Full Version : Is there a feyish equivilent to a tiefling?

Serpent
2008-02-05, 11:37 PM
Say you've got a character with a family lineage similar to that of your local tiefling. That is, while the tiefling has a fiendish ancestor, the character has a fey ancestor (nymph, dryad, what-have-you.) What race is this creature, and is there any documentation of what abilities it would get?

RTGoodman
2008-02-05, 11:41 PM
There's a Half-Fey template floating around somewhere (maybe the Fiend Folio?), but other than that I can't think of anything.

Oh, there are also the Fey Heritage feats from Complete Mage, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

The_Snark
2008-02-05, 11:44 PM
The Feytouched, from Fiend Folio, is exactly this. Very similar to a planetouched, actually, with the fey type rather than outsider (and fey-appropriate abilities).

Aerogoat
2008-02-05, 11:49 PM
The Feytouched, from Fiend Folio, is exactly this. Very similar to a planetouched, actually, with the fey type rather than outsider (and fey-appropriate abilities).
They're presented as a monster in this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030405a) excerpt, but you should be able to figure their PC stats pretty easily.

Actually, here it is:

Feytouched
Medium-Size Fey
Hit Dice: 1d6-1 (2 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 13 (+1 Dex, +2 leather), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Dagger +0 melee, or shortbow +1 ranged
Full Attack: Dagger +0 melee, or shortbow +1 ranged
Damage: Dagger 1d4, or shortbow 1d6
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:Charm person
Special Qualities: Immunity to mind-affecting effects, low-light vision
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 9, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +5, Handle Animal +2, Hide +7, Knowledge (any one) +2, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +4, Spot +3, Survival +4
Feats: Improved Initiative
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or team (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic (any)
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1

Charm Person (Sp): Once per day, a feytouched can use charm person as the spell. Caster level equals Hit Dice, save DC 11.
Immunity to Mind-Affecting Effects (Ex): A feytouched is immune to all spells and effects with the mind-affecting descriptor.
Skills: Feytouched have a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.
So...
Dex +2, Con -2, Cha +2, Medium, 30ft speed, Fey type, LA +1, Low-Light Vision and those abilities at the bottom.

Serpent
2008-02-06, 12:10 AM
Yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks, guys.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-06, 07:45 AM
Don't forget the UA/SRD Fey bloodline option also exists:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#fey

The half fey template from the Fiend Folio is pretty strong mechanically at +2 LA especially with LA buydown.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-06, 12:14 PM
Also the Feykissed template from the BoEF. :smallwink:

Yakk
2008-02-06, 02:12 PM
Shouldn't it be DC 12? (ie, 11+1 for cha)?

Because the save on that SLA should so be cha based. :p

Draz74
2008-02-06, 02:19 PM
Shouldn't it be DC 12? (ie, 11+1 for cha)?

Because the save on that SLA should so be cha based. :p

It is CHA-based. Which is why it's 11 (10+1).

Caster Level = Hit Dice. But Save DC != 10+Hit Dice+CHA. Save DC = 10 + (HD/2)+CHA, like most SLA's. HD/2 (round down) = 0 for this monster entry.

Yakk
2008-02-06, 03:00 PM
The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is:

10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier.

Ie, charm person is a level 1 spell. So the base should be 11, +1 for cha modifier.

Using 1/2 HD would be even better for a character however. :)

nargbop
2008-02-06, 03:59 PM
Feykissed is good. Have a fey lover somewhere, get an extra skill point every level, gain +2 on every CHA check. Turning is a CHA check. That +2 comes in very handy.

Also, it gives the DM many chances to emberass you. "Sweetie, let me come with you!" "But you blind everyone everywhere we go! You've got to tone down the pretty!"

Draz74
2008-02-06, 04:09 PM
Ie, charm person is a level 1 spell. So the base should be 11, +1 for cha modifier.

Using 1/2 HD would be even better for a character however. :)

Again, this is how most Spell-Like Abilities work. Based on 1/2 HD, not based on what level of spell the SLA is based on.

The_Snark
2008-02-06, 04:15 PM
No, it isn't. Supernatural abilities are based off 1/2 HD. Spell-like abilities are based off the actual spell level. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#specialAbilities).

Half-fey is a nice template too; flight, DR/cold iron in the errata, spell-like abilities (including Charm Person at will).

Yakk
2008-02-06, 04:52 PM
Again, this is how most Spell-Like Abilities work. Based on 1/2 HD, not based on what level of spell the SLA is based on.

The quote I quoted was from the SRD, to be clear. I'll repeat it:

The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is:

10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier.

Which results in the conclusion:
Charm person is a level 1 spell. So the base should be 11 for the SLA, as the SRD states. I would expect that the Fey's stat to modify saves would be Charisma rather than Intelligence, which would increase the DC to 12.

Hence it appears that the entry listed has an error. The DC should be 12, and it should note that it is cha-based.

Draz74
2008-02-06, 04:57 PM
Huh. My bad. Yeah, that doesn't make much sense at all. Except that a typo/editing oversight in a D&D rulebook (especially a stat block) isn't really all that shocking. :smalltongue:

Aerogoat
2008-02-06, 05:08 PM
The DC should be 12, and it should note that it is cha-based.I thought that was strange too, but the flat DC 11 is also present in the MM2's Slaad-touched race (which was where I first looked for this).
It looks like it might be intentional (though I have no idea why).