PDA

View Full Version : José González is a charlatan.

Tom_Violence
2008-02-05, 11:54 PM
Its something that I've know for a while, but recently got reminded of - this man, this so-called musician is nothing but a imposter, a trickster, a cheat, 'one who deceives for personal profit'. Et cetera.

I'm not denying that his music can be and often is pleasant to listen to. What I am saying is that this is simply a feature of the music that he 'plays' (though 'copies' might be a better term). Yes, it sounds nice, but guess what! The noise of an acoustic guitar is something that most people enjoy, and the songs he steals are great songs in no small part to their well-crafted chord progressions and lyrical melodies - something that he is not responsible for.

So, why 'steals'? Well, that's a factor of his fanbase. How many of them do you think knew or know that 'Heartbeats' was originally recorded over 5 years ago by a fellow Swedish group? Do any of them recognise 'Teardrop' as a Massive Attack song? What percentage of them know the name of the man that originally sung 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'?

Of course one cannot be blamed for the mis-assumptions of others. Or can they? Yes, actually. If I sell someone else's thing to man who's lived in a cave his entire life, and just happen to not tell him I didn't make it, its not his fault that he naturally assumes its my product.

And yes, I know that the man has produced songs on his own, ish. But these are hardly what he is known for.

So, thoughts? This is mostly an off-the-top-of-my-head rant, but I'm interested in what the rest of you think.

Artemician
2008-02-06, 03:52 AM
So basically.. he covers old songs?

Could someone please tell me what's wrong with that? He acknowledges that they're covers. If people still buy them, it's their personal choice in the matter. If you feel that performing songs not composed by you demeans the value of the lyric in song way, then you always have the choice not to buy it.

If people are dumb and can't be bothered to find information that's readily available, then what fault is it of the singer?

WNxHasoroth
2008-02-06, 03:55 AM
Mate, we call them covers. He calls them covers.

*Walks away*

Project_Mayhem
2008-02-06, 06:22 AM
Yesm I hate to point this out, but covers arent *actually* uncommon. I just bought an (English) Radio 1 double CD that was, shockhorror, all covers.

Run for the hills, its the police

Amotis
2008-02-06, 11:00 AM
Hehe, I laughed when I saw the thread title.

Yeah, he bores the hell out of me. I regret buying some of his albums. Sure, he's a nice guitar player but his style is repetitive and uninspired. So it's not so much he covers so many songs, that's his prerogative, but it's the manner in which he covers them. Take, for example, Bonnie "Prince" Billy's latest album "Ask Forgiveness." One original song and the rest are covers. Which range from Bjork to Danzig to R Kelly. Yet they're Bonnie "Prince" Billy songs in the way that he makes them his own, through his unique style while combining with an already written song. As opposed to Jose who doesn't so much interpret but regurgitates. Covering's a tricky business, I'll give him that though.

DEFCON Clown
2008-02-06, 02:32 PM
I read the title as Speedy González. I don't know why.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-02-06, 03:11 PM
So, why 'steals'? Well, that's a factor of his fanbase. How many of them do you think knew or know that 'Heartbeats' was originally recorded over 5 years ago by a fellow Swedish group? Do any of them recognise 'Teardrop' as a Massive Attack song? What percentage of them know the name of the man that originally sung 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'?

1) Yes, it was that brother/sister duo. They were weird, but good.
2) I preferred Gonzalez' version. :shrugs:
3) WHAT? People don't know that it wasn't Joy Division?

Anyway, I tell you who the real charlatans are, with regard to Gonzalez related stuff.

I invite you to compare this (http://graffitiresearchlab.com/?page_id=6#video), which came first, (I <3 GRL, by the way), with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qimmNzH3fE), by Sony.

Now tell me who's ripping who off. :smallmad: