PDA

View Full Version : Odd rules question.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-06, 12:11 AM
Alright, actually it's three, but the first two are just to get a feel for the RAW. Feel free to answer the third one first if you know the answer.

Question #1: If I maximize a damage over time spell, do all the spots get maximized? IE: Maximize Maw of Chaos (use a Rod).

Question #2: If I Maximize a Chill Touch, do I maximize all the touches? Or just the first? What about if I Quicken and Maximize a Chill Touch, and use a full round action to attack twice (assuming 6+ BAB), do I maximize all the ones in the first round, but none of the further ones?

Now the real one, Question #3: If I Maximize an Eldritch Glaive, do all of my attacks get maximized? Or just the first?

Thanks.

tyckspoon
2008-02-06, 12:18 AM
Every continuing instance of damage is just as much a 'variable, numeric effect' of the spell as the first, so every instance in which the spell does damage would be maximized. Maximize only cares about duration when the duration itself is a random amount that could potentially be maximized.

Rad
2008-02-06, 02:22 AM
IIRC the effect of eldritch glaive is merely the glaive itself that is not a numerical effect. I'll check that.

its_all_ogre
2008-02-06, 04:27 AM
duskblade maximized shocking grasp when level 13 is suddenly nice again!
30 hps on top of normal damage!
and if you crit!:smallbiggrin:

Rad
2008-02-06, 06:12 AM
and if you crit!:smallbiggrin:

Can you use arcane channel on spells that have a casting time of 1 round?

Nebo_
2008-02-06, 06:24 AM
and if you crit!

And if you crit, is still doesn't multiply.

Swooper
2008-02-06, 09:55 AM
And if you crit, is still doesn't multiply.
Actually, I believe CArc clarifies that you can crit with 'weaponlike spells' and Shocking Grasp is such a spell. So, even if you channel it through your sword, you can still crit with it, multiplying it's damage by 2. Channeled spells don't count as 'bonus damage dice' as far as I know.

Crimson Avenger
2008-02-06, 10:03 AM
Actually, I believe CArc clarifies that you can crit with 'weaponlike spells' and Shocking Grasp is such a spell. So, even if you channel it through your sword, you can still crit with it, multiplying it's damage by 2. Channeled spells don't count as 'bonus damage dice' as far as I know.

You have the right of it, you can crit with a spell channelled as it requires am attack roll, if you miss, spell is wasted as normal. You could view the weapon as the "extra dice of damage" even though they are multiplied too.

Yeah! I ended on a preposition.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-06, 02:45 PM
While completely unrelated to the original topic (by the way, good point about the glaive being the effect, but I'm not sure about that... any other opinions? or agreements?), Arcane Channeling cannot crit, as when they are hit, they are effected by the spell as normal. There is no room for critting there, as it's "as normal".

ryuteki
2008-02-06, 03:01 PM
good point about the glaive being the effect, but I'm not sure about that... any other opinions? or agreements?)

I fully agree that the effect IS the glaive, not the damage it does. Maximize will have no effect. In a similar fashion, you cannot cast a Maximized Wall of Iron, then tip it onto someone and have the falling damage maximized, because that damage is not a numerical variable of the spell's effect. It sounds silly, but it really is the same situation: Magically created weapon.

Arcane Channeling cannot crit, as when they are hit, they are effected by the spell as normal. There is no room for critting there, as it's "as normal".

Hmm... if the wording "as normal" is indeed part of the ability (I'm AFB) I'd have to agree with Fishing's interpretation.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-06, 03:04 PM
Hmm... if the wording "as normal" is indeed part of the ability (I'm AFB) I'd have to agree with Fishing's interpretation.

That is correct.

Burley
2008-02-06, 04:03 PM

Okay. I knew that, but (since Eldritch Glaive was already mentioned) would the crit of an Eldritch Glaive be a x2 for most weaponlike spells, or a x3 like a normal glaive?
(It is x2, right?