PDA

View Full Version : a half [I]what?[/I]

Jayngfet
2008-02-06, 12:52 AM
I'm making a world where half orcs are uncommon, even by normal standards, but combinations of orc, hobgoblin, and goblin are fairly common, any Ideas where to start? or should I scrap this idea entirely?, the goblin/hobgoblin would work, and any other goblinoid combinations because of being in the same classification, and I'm using half elves and orcs to base my ideas on the goblinoid/orc thing.

tips would be nice...

Tengu
2008-02-06, 12:58 AM
I think that an orc/hobgoblin could simply have +2 to all physical stats, -2 to all mental stats and the combined special qualities of both of those races.

RTGoodman
2008-02-06, 01:32 AM
You might could get away with Bugbears as the offspring of orcs and hobgoblins - they're big goblinoids, but they get some tenacity from their orc parent.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-06, 01:53 AM
You might could get away with Bugbears as the offspring of orcs and hobgoblins - they're big goblinoids, but they get some tenacity from their orc parent.

Good idea.

I don't see what a goblin/hobgoblin would be though. Seems like a half-elf half-halfling, which just sounds silly!

Jayngfet
2008-02-06, 02:27 AM

that would work...but I already cast bugbears In my world, and i'm affraid to just switch switch descriptions because most of my group has more experience, most have parents as ex players, and to make matters worse I dont have acess to my books for a few days at best.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-02-06, 04:03 AM
Good idea.

I don't see what a goblin/hobgoblin would be though. Seems like a half-elf half-halfling, which just sounds silly!

Wouldn't that pairing be a bit... uncomfortable? You know, like the elephant and the mouse?

Okay, that might be a bit obscure, but what I'm saying is I don't think you would get a situation where a medium sized creature and a small sized creature would be making half-anythings and surviving.

Now a goblin/kobold? That could work.

Burley
2008-02-06, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't that pairing be a bit... uncomfortable? You know, like the elephant and the mouse?

Okay, that might be a bit obscure, but what I'm saying is I don't think you would get a situation where a medium sized creature and a small sized creature would be making half-anythings and surviving.

Now a goblin/kobold? That could work.

On the small/medium thing: The shortest man in the world (I think there is a shorter man now, though) is married to a lady who's like 5'10" or somthing. It's totally legit. Plus, Half-elves are on the shorter, skinnier side of half-humanity. It'd totally work.

The Goblin/Kobold thing would NOT work, for the simple fact that Kobolds are draconic...reptiles. They lay eggs. Goblins are mammals. They give birth to live young. The reproductive bits wouldn't fit.

As far as mixing orcs with things: A human has no racial modifiers, and throwing orc in the mix boosts strength and messes with intelligence and charisma. Whatever you're gonna mix orc with just boost it's strength, and lower it's intelligence or charisma (depending on what the other race is, and which society it was raised in). Throw in some darkvision. Why not make it larger? Just for fun?

DrummingDM
2008-02-06, 10:03 AM
On the small/medium thing: The shortest man in the world (I think there is a shorter man now, though) is married to a lady who's like 5'10" or somthing. It's totally legit. Plus, Half-elves are on the shorter, skinnier side of half-humanity. It'd totally work.*cough cough*

Uh...I believe the above poster was referring to the pairing going the other direction...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-06, 10:20 AM
*cough cough*

Uh...I believe the above poster was referring to the pairing going the other direction...Well, that has support, too. I...uh...I remember reading a story by Tucker Max...

its_all_ogre
2008-02-06, 12:13 PM
yes but you're talking extremes within the same race.
broadly speaking humans do not vary that much.
my mum is like 5' tall and my dad 5'10"
i'm 6'4" and bigger built than either. but all my sisters are short and skinny/slim built.
different races is more like considering...sheep breeding with cows. they are marginally related by both being mammals (like goblins and hobgoblins are marginally related by being humanoid and goblinoid) but their physical sizes are hugely different. (cow=oxen in MM large creature, sheep are medium?)

Jayngfet
2008-02-06, 06:33 PM
so even barring size modifiers(wich would explain why no half halflings or half dwarves) theres still one more thing, half hobgobs and orcs, and if medium/large(half minotaurs) works why not medium to small, and wouldn't a hald dragon be a bormal whatever it is unless the dragon was in normal form:smallconfused: :smalleek: .

Caracol
2008-02-06, 07:50 PM
Create a whole new race of small but nasty fellas.
Call them Uruk-Halfling.

de-trick
2008-02-06, 07:51 PM
why does every one want races to mate with each other :smallfurious:

on that i say it would not produce a offspring

Caracol
2008-02-06, 08:04 PM
why does every one want races to mate with each other :smallfurious:

on that i say it would not produce a offspring

If we consider them races, they can actually mate and give an offspring. That's in the definition of the term race. They should be species to not give an offspring. But this is just what is in nature and in DnD this is not to be considered, of course.

Brawls
2008-02-06, 08:50 PM
If we consider them races, they can actually mate and give an offspring. That's in the definition of the term race. They should be species to not give an offspring. But this is just what is in nature and in DnD this is not to be considered, of course.

Cat girls are going to die for this, but here we go . . .

Aww, just read the wiki for hybridization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_%28biology%29
It does a good job explaining interspecies and intraspecies hybridization.

The final answer, as it relates to D&D is as follows: "with magic, all things are possible." The question should be, is there a reason for interbreeding between races (in D&D parlance) to sustain a hybrid race? In my campaigns, the answer would be no, except in very rare circumstances (i.e. half-elves), but that has more to do with how the cultures interact and the opportunity for interbreeding.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Brawls

Jayngfet
2008-02-06, 09:03 PM
Cat girls are going to die for this, but here we go . . .

Aww, just read the wiki for hybridization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_%28biology%29
It does a good job explaining interspecies and intraspecies hybridization.

The final answer, as it relates to D&D is as follows: "with magic, all things are possible." The question should be, is there a reason for interbreeding between races (in D&D parlance) to sustain a hybrid race? In my campaigns, the answer would be no, except in very rare circumstances (i.e. half-elves), but that has more to do with how the cultures interact and the opportunity for interbreeding.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Brawls

the reason the hybrids are there is "lots of orcs goblins and hobgoblins get together for about 900 years, forming a civilization, aside from the occasional nomadic group of bugbears and kobolds from the south(another hybrid question?) or equally nomadic halflings sometimes appearing from an even more inhospitable area(they all have crazy monsterous giant spiders for mounts and centapides for pack animals) most common folk assimilated to one group, making half thingies a good 15-25% of the population.

also I played with lyncanthropy and now in addition to catgirls...DROW MONKEY GIRLS, and a few mecha(magic or technology, who knows?)

Prometheus
2008-02-06, 09:21 PM
Here would be a fun way to do it. Give a hybrid of the two races a the special abilities of both races, but to counteract the benefit, also give them a "mutation". A Flaw would work, or roll from a random table of negative effects.

Jayngfet
2008-02-06, 09:24 PM
Here would be a fun way to do it. Give a hybrid of the two races a the special abilities of both races, but to counteract the benefit, also give them a "mutation". A Flaw would work, or roll from a random table of negative effects.

good Idea, I'll start that, now about those bugbear/kobolds...

and again, drow catgirls in transforming mecha, my world prolly started geeting wierd around one or the other

Caracol
2008-02-07, 04:58 AM
How about an "evolutive" approach?

Start from the beginning, with just ONE race of humanoids present in your setting a long time ago. Then split the race in different parts, due to differences in habits, creating an elven-like ancestor and a following"elven-like" branch, a "small races" branch, a "goblinoid" branch, developing a "tree" of the races. Allow hybridation between close and distand groups, create "mutation" races, add some magic, and keep the common ancestors of the main groups as legendary, obscure, powerful and elusive creatures.

Darkantra
2008-02-07, 05:58 AM
Here's an interesting idea, how about the pairing of orc-hobgoblin creates a powerful offspring which, like the mule, cannot reproduce. The two races could co-exist for the purpose of these powerful creatures who would serve as shock troopers and live exclusively for battle, since there isn't any other purpose to their lives. If you wanted some interesting RP you could have it so that one in every thousand or so orc-hobo actually can reproduce and the parent races perform divinations on them to route them out and destroy them, fearing their superiority.

Their stats would probably be:
+2 Str maybe even +4
+2 Dex
+2 Con
-2 Int
-2 Wis
-2 Cha

Darkvision 60 ft.
LA +1

It might be interesting to give them a level of Monstrous Humanoid and take out one of the mental penalties, possibly Int.

That's it I'm keeping this for myself too.

Leon
2008-02-07, 06:28 AM
A wizard did it

Jayngfet
2008-02-07, 02:32 PM
Here's an interesting idea, how about the pairing of orc-hobgoblin creates a powerful offspring which, like the mule, cannot reproduce. The two races could co-exist for the purpose of these powerful creatures who would serve as shock troopers and live exclusively for battle, since there isn't any other purpose to their lives. If you wanted some interesting RP you could have it so that one in every thousand or so orc-hobo actually can reproduce and the parent races perform divinations on them to route them out and destroy them, fearing their superiority.

Their stats would probably be:
+2 Str maybe even +4
+2 Dex
+2 Con
-2 Int
-2 Wis
-2 Cha

Darkvision 60 ft.
LA +1

It might be interesting to give them a level of Monstrous Humanoid and take out one of the mental penalties, possibly Int.

That's it I'm keeping this for myself too.

wow thats scary how close to my most recent evolutionary idea that is, how about

+2 str
+2 con
+2 dex
-2 int
-2 cha

darkvision out to 60 feet

and they would be wandering often joining those bugbears and kobolds

and how about the goblin/hobbo

+4 dex
+2 con
-2 cha
-1 str

orc/goblin

+2 dex
+1 str
-1 cha

roll 1d6, a 2 or lower is sterile for gob/orc, 1 for hobgob/orc, a hob/gob is always fertile, now if only i can name them...well in that part of the world goblins are like humans, the most common and basic( orcs and hobgoblins only started reproducing more than 2 or three per child when the larger cities were formed and they gave up thier nomadic ways and sided with the goblins about 700 years ago, and when the towns became a unified communicating, fairly peaceful nation 500 years ago, compared to goblins wich lived in towns in indipendent city states for about 1300 years, getting a 500-800 year headstart, wichever landmark you prefer)

if anyone has any onther hybrid questions, while i'm thinking you may as well post them while I'm thinking about D&D hybrids, who knows people out there may use an absen minded thought about halfling/orcs in a campane

Darkantra
2008-02-08, 01:21 AM
Nice, in a campaign that I'm running pretty soon Halflings are everywhere because they really were the first intelligent race on that world, and live to travel and explore. If anyone has some good halfling/whatever hybrids already made I'd like to hear of them.

Jayngfet
2008-02-09, 06:45 PM
Nice, in a campaign that I'm running pretty soon Halflings are everywhere because they really were the first intelligent race on that world, and live to travel and explore. If anyone has some good halfling/whatever hybrids already made I'd like to hear of them.

I'm fairly sure theres a hlafling/goat centaur thing, if i find it ill post it here

Fax Celestis
2008-02-09, 06:49 PM
Create a whole new race of small but nasty fellas.
Call them Uruk-Halfling.

Uruk-Hin would fit better.

mabriss lethe
2008-02-10, 12:44 PM
There's the Nothrog from the Warlords RPG, (neverr played it or the CCG btw, but they have a stat block posted for them on the website.)

The nothrog are singular race of the mixed breed descendants from a host of "savage races."

Some of this sounds a little wonky to me, but here it is from the website (http://www.warlordrpg.com/resources/nothrog.html)

Standard Nothrog Racial Traits

+2 Strength, –2 Dexterity: Nothrog are exceptionally hardy, but tend to become muscle-bound.
--Darkvision: Nothrog can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Nothrog can function capably without any light at all.
--Combat Prowess: A Nothrog may not be flanked in combat unless there are at least twice as many enemies as allies in his threatened area. Rogues at least four class levels higher than the Nothrog’s character level ignore this ability.
--Automatic Languages: Common and Nothrog. Bonus Languages: Deverenian, Elf, and Giant.
--Favored class: Fighter.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-10, 04:19 PM

How elswe do get Pot-bellied Elephants. little Elephants that fit in your home. Just gotta get them drunk and have chef sing to them, children.