PDA

View Full Version : Leap Attack

riddles
2008-02-06, 04:43 AM
i just want to check i am reading this right,

If i power attack with a double handed weapon, the damage bonus i get is doubled.

if i then use the leap attack feat (i assume you have to make a successful jump check, i don't know the DC), this damage is tripled.

meaning for the loss of 1 point to hit, i get an extra 6 points of damage.

this seems to be a fantastic tradeoff for me, if the jump DC isn't horribly difficult

Talic
2008-02-06, 05:02 AM

If i power attack with a double handed weapon, the damage bonus i get is doubled.

if i then use the leap attack feat (i assume you have to make a successful jump check, i don't know the DC), this damage is tripled.

this seems to be a fantastic tradeoff for me, if the jump DC isn't horribly difficult

In D&D, two doublings is a tripling. For the loss of 1 point to hit, you get an extra 2 points of damage with a 2 handed weapon (1 doubled).
With leap attack, that's tripled to 1 for 3. If you had another feat that granted an increase, it'd be 1 for 4.

Prince Gimli
2008-02-06, 05:07 AM
It was errata'd for disambiguitiy and clarity. The errata states that the extra damage from power attack is increased by 100% with leap attack. So with a two handed weapon you get 4 extra damage per point of penalty you take to your attack roll.

For example, if Krusk leap attacks with his greataxe and takes a -4 to hit, he would deal an extra 16 points of damage. If Krusk would use a battle axe one handed he would deal 8 extra damage while taking -4.

its_all_ogre
2008-02-06, 05:08 AM
1 power attack is not doubled with a 2 handed weapon. it is +2 per -1
this is important. although it looks like it is double, but per RAW it is 2 not 1, which is very different to doubling.

2 leap attack has been errated to being +100% damage.

so leap attack = -1 to hit=+4 to damage.

still v nice. (ninja'd!)

Sir Iguejo
2008-02-06, 05:09 AM

you got it wrong

(double ninja'd)

leap attack says that when you succeed the jump check, your powerattack damage is tripled INSTEAD of doubled.

so each -1 to hit gives you +3 to damage, not +6

its_all_ogre
2008-02-06, 05:23 AM
this has been hotly debated before many times by the way.
at least its better than yet another monk thread :smallbiggrin:

i stand by the +4 based on errata

Zincorium
2008-02-06, 05:36 AM
If you want confirmation, check out the errata for the frenzied berserker ability as well. Same wording, and it actually includes an example of what happens when a two-handed weapon is used.

Rad
2008-02-06, 05:40 AM
As much as I loathe it, the errata version put some effort into not using the word "double", so the intent was clearly to give +4 per -1.