PDA

View Full Version : Monsters with innate spellcasting ability.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-06, 06:38 AM
From memory, I can think of all true dragons (sorcerer), rakshasa (including that ak'~~ rakshasa from MM3; both sorcerer), couatl (sorcerer), ghaele and trumpet archon (both cleric).

Can anyone think of any other monsters?

Hmm, Unbodied should count as well I guess.

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 09:54 AM
Off the top of my head all I can think of are planetars and solars. Possibly vermin lords in MM3.

Isomenes
2008-02-06, 10:20 AM
Don't forget the Aranea and the Naga.

mostlyharmful
2008-02-06, 01:19 PM
Nymph. text text

Fax Celestis
2008-02-06, 01:21 PM
Redspawn Arcaniss.

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-06, 02:24 PM
Innate Spellcasting ability as in they cast spells as an X level whatever? Or as in monsters that have the same ability but as an Ex ability?

Because with Shapechange you can turn into the second kind and get some nifty spells (one devil gets spellcasting as a 4th level cleric as an Ex ability fo instance).

bugsysservant
2008-02-06, 02:29 PM
Lillends have bard casting.

Lochar
2008-02-06, 02:35 PM
Innate Spellcasting ability as in they cast spells as an X level whatever? Or as in monsters that have the same ability but as an Ex ability?

Because with Shapechange you can turn into the second kind and get some nifty spells (one devil gets spellcasting as a 4th level cleric as an Ex ability fo instance).

In that case I would say they get the Ex ability, but must pray for the spells for an hour per standard. Changing form at all you lose the spellcasting ability and must repray.

Collin152
2008-02-06, 05:00 PM
Lillends have bard casting.

How appropriate. The monster I forget exists casts spells as the class I forget the spells of.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-06, 05:02 PM
How appropriate. The monster I forget exists casts spells as the class I forget the spells of.

Is your signature hexadecimal?

Seffbasilisk
2008-02-06, 05:02 PM
Spellweavers cast as sorcerers two levels higher then thier hit dice.

Collin152
2008-02-06, 05:15 PM
Is your signature hexadecimal?

If it is, it's pure coincidince, seeing as I know nothing about it. It is, in fact, a cipher, in which the first digit correponds to a letter in a keyword and the second digit refers to how far in the alphabet the encrypted letter is from the keyword.
If it has a name, I'd like to know it.
But that's neither here or there.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-06, 05:16 PM
If it is, it's pure coincidince, seeing as I know nothing about it. It is, in fact, a cipher, in which the first digit correponds to a letter in a keyword and the second digit refers to how far in the alphabet the encrypted letter is from the keyword.
If it has a name, I'd like to know it.
But that's neither here or there.Do you know how much I hate you for making me do this now?

Collin152
2008-02-06, 05:22 PM
Do you know how much I hate you for making me do this now?

If you can crack it, do tell me.
I have the keyword written down somewhere, too.

Do innate Psionics count, as an on topic remark?

The_Snark
2008-02-06, 05:30 PM
Lilitus cast cleric spells (based off Charisma). I'm not sure if that's what Tippy was referring to, because they're demons rather than devils, but it's also listed as an Ex ability.

The psionic mind flayer manifests as a telepath.

Ethergaunts cast wizard spells. And have absurdly high Int scores to go along with it.

Ursinals, the bearlike guardinals from the Book of Exalted Deeds, also cast wizard spells.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-06, 06:03 PM
As 'Innate Spellcasting Ability', I meant creatures with '*** casts spells as x-th level [spellcaster]' entry.

edit: also, innate manifesting ability (such as that of Unbodied) should count, too. :smallwink:

Cheers for all the enthusiastic replies so far :smallwink:

Tokiko Mima
2008-02-06, 06:20 PM
Oh woe is the oft forgotten but incredibly flexible race known to the Drow as Driders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drider.htm).

They can cast as a 6th level Cleric, Wizard OR Sorcerer. How many other monster races have three or more options for casting class, huh?

deadseashoals
2008-02-06, 06:24 PM
Sylphs (MM2) cast as sorcerers, and elder titans (ELH) cast as epic wizards or clerics. Also, the brokenest of broken monsters, elemental weirds (MM2, Frostburn), cast as 18th-level sorcerers.

Forgot one more, Spellweavers (MM2) cast as sorcerers, AND they can cast 6 spell levels per turn. So, for example, two dispel magics, or six magic missiles, or a fly, alter self, and shield.

AslanCross
2008-02-06, 06:41 PM
MM5 has the Hobgoblin Warcaster and Warsoul, monstrous Hobgoblins that cast as Wizards. They advance as Wizards and Wizard levels stack with their RHD caster levels.

Strangely enough, the Warsoul seems to have a more-broken-than-usual CR. At 10 Racial hit dice (default), it's only CR 8---yet she casts spells as a 9th level wizard AND has some pretty funky abilities on the side. (The coolest of which involves siphoning off the life force of a willing hobgoblin---the warsoul gets 2d4 of those---to boost her next casting.)

If you advance the Warsoul by say, 8 Wizard levels, you have a CR 16 monster that casts as a 17th-level Wizard that has the ability to sacrifice her lackeys as a swift action to boost her next spell, has SR, and then some. D:

Belteshazzar
2008-02-06, 06:50 PM
Aranea have some innate sorcerer casting. If they chose the right spells they can be very creepy redneck bounty hunters.

Ghost sound+banjo+strength poison +enfeeblement+web+grease+chill touch=freaky forests of fear

GryffonDurime
2008-02-06, 06:59 PM
Glouras have Bardic Spellcasting, I believe.

Collin152
2008-02-06, 07:02 PM
Oh woe is the oft forgotten but incredibly flexible race known to the Drow as Driders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drider.htm).

They can cast as a 6th level Cleric, Wizard OR Sorcerer. How many other monster races have three or more options for casting class, huh?

Wow. What drow wouldn't want to be a Drider?

mostlyharmful
2008-02-06, 07:05 PM
Banelars (monsters of faerun i believe) are also rock your socks off amazing, 6th level casting abomination in BOTH CLERIC AND WIZARD!! Wooo! Plus fast healing 2 and big stat boosts. needless to say they're LA-