PDA

View Full Version : Your take one aligments

Zenos
2008-02-06, 02:55 PM
Simply put, write your itnerpretations of an aligment or two:

I'm bad at writing about aligments, so I will rather discuss things you post.

Duke Malagigi
2008-02-06, 03:24 PM
Chaotic Good: Creatures of this alignment view personal freedom and flexibility of action as necessary to promote the life and the welfare of each individual. Respect for individualism is great, but individual freedom does not remove responsibility for the consequences of one’s actions. Individuals are valued on the basis of their actions, rather than by their position in society. Acts of kindness and mercy are to be lauded but not enforced.

Neutral Good: Unlike those directly opposite them (Neutral Evil) in alignment, creatures of Neutral Good alignment believe that there must be some regulation in combination with freedom if the best is to be brought to the world – the most beneficial conditions for living things in general and intelligent creatures in particular.

Lawful Good: While strict in their prosecution of law and order, characters of Lawful Good alignment follow these precepts to improve the common weal. Only through the group can any individual gain security and meaningful position. Certain freedoms, such as rights to private property, must of course, be sacrificed to bring order; but truth is of highest value, and life and beauty of great importance. The benefits of this society are to be brought to all.

Chaotic Neutral: Above respect for life and good will, or disregard for life and intentional cruelty, the chaotic neutral places the personal freedom of each individual. Whether these individual choices lead to good results or ill is beside the point. Chaotic Neutral creatures disregard all authority even if compelled. While Chaotic Neutrals believe in personal responsibility, they consider compassion or pity to be abject folly. A Chaotic Neutral neither goes out of their way to benefit strangers or cause harm.

True Neutral: The “true” neutral looks upon all other alignments as unimportant and distracting. Thus, Evil and Good, Chaos and Law are mostly irrelevent; they are neither individualistic nor collectivist, and neither are they kind or cruel. The main goal of True Neutrals is to benefit them selves and or families without causeing needless harm or risking injury. True Neutrals also try not to go out of their way to protect or benefit those outside their immediate family or espuse any particular ideologic views. Animals and other creatures incapable of moral action and ethical action are also True Neutral.

Lawful Neutral: Those of this alignment view their group and its regulation as all-important. Whether any individual – or even large groups of individuals – benefit or are harmed by following rule and tradition, doing so is the responsibility of all creatures. This is because the ultimate harmony of the world is considered by lawful neutral creatures to have its sole hope resting upon law and order. Individuals exist only as parts of the whole. Evil or Good are immaterial beside the determined purpose of bringing all to predictability and regulation.

Chaotic Evil: The major precept of this alignment is that of personal freedom unshackled by responsibility. Whatever advantage can be taken should be taken, and the woe of others is to the benefit of oneself. Laws and order, kindness, and good deeds are disdained, except where they can be paid lip service to one’s own benefit. Others’ lives have no value. Those of this alignment hope to bring down all restraint and prohibtion, moral and otherwise to achieve power, glory, and prestige in a system of individual caprice and governed by their own whims. They don't consider themselves in any way wicked for such plans or actions.

Neutral Evil: The Neutral Evil creature views Law and Chaos as unnecessary considerations, for he seeks the greatest benefit both within the group and without it. Either might be used, but both are disdained as foolish clutter useless in eventually bringing maximum benefit to himself.

Lawful Evil: Lawful Evil creatures respect law and order, believing that the individual good of creatures is of no consequence compared to the strength of the group. Individual freedom is held as valueless, or at least scorned. Any cruelty or atrocity is justified if it serves the interests of the State, and the suffering of enemies is to be enjoyed. Truth is important, but only where it serves the group. These creatures place but scant value on individual lives – even their own lives. The goal of each individual creature is first to know its place in the group, and then to increase its station in that hierarchy for the perpetuation of the group. By adhering to stringent discipline, those of Lawful Evil alignment hope to impose their yoke upon the world.

Danzaver
2008-02-06, 07:59 PM
I don't really want to get into a discussion of alignments (I just removed them from my game), but I will add an amusing anecdote.

I had a friend's sister join my game about a year ago. She stays very quiet most of the time, and is very much still learning. Loves to smash stuff in combat though, which is about the extent of her rules knowledge.

Anyway, this is a real conversation I had with her.

Me: "X, what is your alignment?"

Her: "Catholic Good"

Me: "Huh? What did you just say?"

Her: "...Catholic Good"

Me: "Catholic. Good."

Her: "Yeah...?"

Sweet Jesus, that never stops being funny. She had just seen the CG on her sheet and had misunderstood when I told her what it meant.

Jothki
2008-02-06, 08:32 PM
That implies the existance of Catholic Neutral and Catholic Evil, I would assume.

It always seemed to me that Monks would never be Lawful, since they would tend to cast aside their involvement in society to focus on self-improvement.