PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling and Aasimar with LA +0

Baron Corm
2008-02-06, 04:27 PM
Fiendish agents are an alternate form of devil which can be created instead of lemures when the need arises. These devils never rise into the next form, instead tasked to endlessly serve the agenda of the devils on the Material Plane. Their natural form is scaly, devilish, and wrong (not to mention quite variable from agent to agent), but they have the ability to shapeshift into a normal-looking humanoid, so that they may spy amongst normal mortals.

The demons of the abyss and celestials of the heavens have similar agents out among mortals. This is all part of the covert war going on on the Material Plane which most mortals never catch wind of. A fiendish agent who unmasks a secret angel, or even a demonic agent if he is devilish, will do everything in his power to make sure the other agent's mission fails.

I created these races because I wanted to play a real devil. The races here are more actual devils/demons and archons/angels than planetouched, but the mechanics could be used for the tiefling and aasimar. The only thing you would have to change is their type, to Outsider (native).

Fiendish Agent

- Outsider.
- Medium-size.
- 30 feet base land speed.
- Can see in any darkness, even magical.
- Telepathy 100 feet.
- Resistance to fire, electricity, acid, or cold (pick two) 1 per 2 HD.
- Willing Deformity, Disciple of Darkness, or 1 similar bonus vile or evil outsider heritage feat which is used mainly as an entrance to a chain.
- Fiendish Agent Man (Su): A fiendish agent can take the form of a human, not changing any racial bonuses but giving a +10 bonus to Disguise checks to appear human. The fiendish agent cannot use this ability to pose as different humans; his human form can never change.
- Automatic Languages: Infernal or Abyssal, Common. Bonus Languages: Infernal, Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Terran.
- Favored Class: Cleric.

Secret Angel

- Outsider.
- Medium-size.
- 30 feet base land speed.
- Immune to petrification.
- Can speak with any creature that has a language.
- Resistance to fire, electricity, acid, or cold (pick two) 1 per 2 HD.
- 1 bonus exalted or good outsider heritage feat with the same restrictions as the fiendish agent.
- Secret Angel Man (Su): See fiendish agent ability.
- Automatic Languages: Celestial, Common. Bonus Languages: Infernal, Draconic, Auran, Aquan, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Cleric.

StoryKeeper
2008-02-06, 06:14 PM
Er... these seem a little powerful for being LA+0. Bonus feats, energy resistance, telepathy, alternate form, and the ability to see in any darkness (that's just looking at the tiefling.) I ;think this could be fun, but unless your campaign is a lot more powerful than normal, I'm pretty sure this calls for some kind of Level Adjustment.

Baron Corm
2008-02-06, 06:45 PM
Well, since their alternate form can't be changed, tieflings can't use it to pose as a guard or anything. It's more of a drawback than a benefit, since humans don't have to make Disguise checks to appear as themselves. That's the intention anyway.

Comparing to human:

- "Improved darkvision" (minor weight)
- Telepathy (moderate weight)
- Scaling energy resistance (minor-moderate-major weight)

- Restricted bonus feat (variable weight depending on desired build)
- Risk of being discovered as a devil (minor weight)
- Doesn't have scaling skill points (minor-moderate-major weight)
- Restricted favored class and languages (minor weight)

I used a kind of improvised system to do that but anyway... high end LA +0 then? I could change the energy resistance to two types, increasing 1 per 2 HD... in fact I think I will do that. Doesn't really affect the balance at all, but I'm just gonna do it. Fits better with flavor.

Neftren
2008-02-06, 07:05 PM
Ever heard of the Lesser Tiefling and Lesser Aasimar? They're LA +0.

jindra34
2008-02-06, 07:08 PM
these races are not close to LA 0. First they are full outsiders which grants several immunities to common low level spells. Second all the disadvantages are build specific while all the advantages are useful for any builds.

Tengu
2008-02-06, 07:09 PM
Ever heard of the Lesser Tiefling and Lesser Aasimar? They're LA +0.

And reek of cheese.

Sir Conkey
2008-02-06, 08:50 PM
I can totally agree with this. I too have always wanted to play as a devil from level one... Or a demon. I do think the immunity and telepathy make it a little over LA+0.

TheEscapist
2008-02-06, 09:42 PM
This definitely seem like some cool new new upper planes/lower planes PC races, but they are very different from tieflings and aasimar. Planetouched creatures are the halfbreed children of a human(oid) and an outsider, but these guys seem like new outsiders unto themselves. You should give these guys different names, since tieflings and aasimar have a very different feel to them. Maybe demonling and angeling... actually, angeling sounds stupid. But you get my drift.

I also agree with these needing a level adjustment. Telepathy, tongues, energy resistances (two of them!), ability to see through even magical darkness, bonus feats? These are all very powerful abilities. My suggestions - take 'em or leave 'em - drop the telepathy and tongues abilities, switch the "see through magical darkness" to darkvision, and clarify that the "alternate form" ability only lets them hide their outsider traits. The way you have it phrased makes it sound like a disguise self spell. Maybe call it "human form" or something.

Baron Corm
2008-02-07, 12:01 PM
I'm a little hesitant to take away any of the abilities, except for the bonus feat, because those abilities are common to all fiends/celestials, and that's kind of the point. The bonus feat was added as an afterthought because with just fiend traits the race is really underpowered. An ability score increase could have solved this as well, but there are as many different types of devils as there are humans, and it would be unfair I think to pigeonhole them.

Changed their names (a little campy, but eh), restricted the bonus feat further, and clarified the alternate form. If this were LA+1, it would be on the very low end... I think it's better now. I could certainly still see reasons to take a halfling or human over it. I would never be an elf or gnome anyway, heh.

wadledo
2008-02-07, 02:47 PM
These are way to powerful to be +0 or even +1.

Look at these. (http://www.liquidmateria.info/wiki/Other) (middle of page)

As far as I know they seem fair (though the Tiefling seems a bit strong.)

Baron Corm
2008-02-07, 05:12 PM
Those races are exactly what I think races shouldn't be - almost meaningless at higher levels.

The tiefling (from the link) a little strong? The halfling, human, dwarf, orc, and elf (with decent subrace) are all better. It is, admittedly, better than the vanilla elf, half-orc, half-elf, and gnome, but those are, in my opinion, built poorly (8 commas, count 'em). I think you're being a little strict, but if you prefer low-power races, I'm not going to judge. Suffice it to say I'm pretty happy with what I have now, thanks guys.

wadledo
2008-02-07, 05:53 PM
Those races are exactly what I think races shouldn't be - almost meaningless at higher levels.

The tiefling (from the link) a little strong? The halfling, human, dwarf, orc, and elf (with decent subrace) are all better. It is, admittedly, better than the vanilla elf, half-orc, half-elf, and gnome, but those are, in my opinion, built poorly (8 commas, count 'em). I think you're being a little strict, but if you prefer low-power races, I'm not going to judge. Suffice it to say I'm pretty happy with what I have now, thanks guys.

So you're saying that the human should get a magical ability for no apparent reason that causes you to "win" at level 15?
You're saying that the elves should get bonus spells equal to 2*Class Levels/Pi?
You're saying that the dwarf should gain Con points equal to Character level/2?
What are you saying?:smallconfused:

Also, the Tiefling from the link is stronger than the Aasimar (from the link) because it has Dex over Cha, which is considered a bit strong.

Baron Corm
2008-02-07, 07:12 PM
People on these forums have been misinterpreting me a lot recently... odd.

I think the races I listed as good are fine... and the ones I listed as bad are not...

Just to repeat... sometimes I think I'm being clear but I guess not... I said the halfling, human, dwarf, orc, and elf (with decent subrace) are fine, and the vanilla elf, half-orc, half-elf, and gnome are bad.

wadledo
2008-02-07, 07:22 PM
......Actually, I was referring to your comment of/on how races should level.

Baron Corm
2008-02-07, 07:38 PM
lol whatever. No, I don't think humans should ""win"" at level 15.

wadledo
2008-02-07, 07:44 PM
lol whatever. No, I don't think humans should ""win"" at level 15.

Well you did say that they are "almost meaningless" at high levels.

Baron Corm
2008-02-07, 08:30 PM
Yay for dragging on conversations~

"Those races" referred to the tiefling and aasimar in your link, which I do not believe significantly contribute to the power of a high level character.

I do think that a bonus feat significantly contributes.

wadledo
2008-02-07, 09:06 PM
Does an elf contribute then?
Does being a dwarf help a high level character whatever?