PDA

View Full Version : NWoD: Spirit-Claimed As Player Character.

Leliel
2008-02-06, 08:27 PM
(Forgive me if this isn't the right forum.)

Yes, I know. "A Spirit-Claimed is nothing more than a tool of the spirit who possesses him, etc." However, there's always a loophole somewhere, and frankly, I think the idea of playing someone sharing his body with a animistic personification of whatever is, how do you say, cool. So here's my idea.

Character was a reasonably normal pyromaniac (For a pyromaniac) who, during one of his larger blazes, made contact with a fire spirit. Much to the aforementioned spirit's surprise, the character became friendly towards it, and cut a deal: He would start the fires to feed the spirit, while it would make sure the blazes didn't get out of control and hurt people (The distinction between a pyro and an arsonist is that the former doesn't want to kill people or cause property damage when they start a fire). Over time, the inevitable happened and the spirit, craving more then the simple reflection of the crackling flames in the Shadow, possessed it's willing consort. However, perhaps because of the symbiotic nature of their relationship, the human part of the new Delishu remained in control, while the spirit became what Dr. Freud would call a pseudo-id. After discovering (Quite by accident: The PC had decided to root out a bunch of Beshilu before the infestation got too severe-because, lets face it, even a Claimed can be altruistic) that he could discover he could devour disease spirits without becoming a Magath (What sterilizes germs? Heat), he decided to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a hero by destroying (and in some cases, eating) those more nasty spirits. Now...

Is this a good character idea? How much of a deal should I make of this character's "sometimes-but-not-really-enemy within"? What Virtue should I give to this character (I've already decided on Envy as his Vice)? Should I RP my character's initial reaction to werewolves as "run and hide"?

And now, a message from my character:

"Burn, internet trolls burn!"

Eh...Looks like his "spirit side" is out of control at the moment. What I wanted him to say was "Please post".

Leliel
2008-02-06, 08:57 PM
Is this the wrong forum?

Or does no one like this thread?

Lupy
2008-02-06, 08:59 PM
His Spirit bit needs it's own character sheets.

He should be a human (or...elf???) and some type of magic user with low cha.

Maybe a Bard?

FlyMolo
2008-02-06, 09:04 PM
You could play it the way a harrowed plays it. When the posessing spirit meets something that sets it off, player rolls will save. On failure, spirit takes over, acts the way spirit would. Dm or clever player control. Every so often, player makes will save, on success, player establishes control.

Harrowed are on this forum somewhere. Exact numbers there.

SurlySeraph
2008-02-06, 09:05 PM

Maybe a Bard?

Leliel's asking for advice on World of Darkness. It's a different system from DnD.

And, unfortunately, one that I have no experience with. I like the character concept, but I can't really give you any advice on it.

Leliel
2008-02-06, 09:07 PM

Maybe a Bard?

Um, you do realize that the WoD is d10 right?

Ninja'd, but I don't care.

Rutee
2008-02-06, 09:10 PM

Maybe a Bard?

Swing and an utter miss. This is not DnD.

Anyway, Leliel, I would say you've got a good escape valve for the Spirit being an Id. As to Virtue.. You know? I almost think Hope or Justice would be best. Something about saving the sick screams Hope to me.

Lord Tataraus
2008-02-06, 09:54 PM
If only my players had your imagination when playing nWoD....so yes, I love that idea I've always wanted to do something like that (though not fire, more benevolent). I would say your gut reactiontion would definitely be "run and hide" when it comes to werewolves. For one, humans do that, and spirits more so. I would say you could play the character as having internal struggle or that he's is normally..well..normal until something sets him off (like who werewolves go into a rage). It could be extreme anger or passion as well as when you are near a large fire, you can't resist but manipulate it.

Selrahc
2008-02-07, 06:39 AM
I'm guessing you've got predators? BEcause that has some in depth creation rules for spirit claimed, and can easily end up with them being about the same power as Forsaken or other supernatural Player characters.

I'd allow one in my games, but you need to make proper backstories for both the spirit, and the human, and then work out how they would combine. The spirit sounds fairly benevolent... but its still an entirely alien beasty, with wierd reactions to stuff, so bear that in mind. (Killing Beshilu? But all they do is make it easier to cross over. Something your spirit half would probably be in favour of. Azlu on the other hand....)

The more liberal Werewolves would probably see you as an asset, while the more straight laced ones would kill you on the spot.

The pure on the other hand, would simply try to trick you into going and killing some forsaken.

Leliel
2008-02-08, 12:09 PM
I'm guessing you've got predators? BEcause that has some in depth creation rules for spirit claimed, and can easily end up with them being about the same power as Forsaken or other supernatural Player characters.

Not yet, but I plan to.

I'd allow one in my games, but you need to make proper backstories for both the spirit, and the human, and then work out how they would combine. The spirit sounds fairly benevolent... but its still an entirely alien beasty, with wierd reactions to stuff, so bear that in mind. (Killing Beshilu? But all they do is make it easier to cross over. Something your spirit half would probably be in favour of. Azlu on the other hand....)

Correction: They make it easier for disease spirits to cross over. Not something either side is found of (for the human, obvious reasons, for the spirit, more competition, and less fires: How many homeless people who would be easy prey for diseases have set fires to warm themselves up?). Besides, he wasn't confident enough in his powers yet to take an Azlu, who, may I remind you, have beaten entire packs of Urathra singlehandedly. Not a beastie who a relative newbie wants to take on, advantageous to his spirit as it might be.

The more liberal Werewolves would probably see you as an asset, while the more straight laced ones would kill you on the spot.

Good point. That also gives a reason for him to travel with an Urathra character, although the Forsaken would likely have a close eye on him all the while.

The pure on the other hand, would simply try to trick you into going and killing some forsaken.

Also a good point. I'll keep that in mind

Good ideas. I like them.

Selrahc
2008-02-08, 08:10 PM
Correction: They make it easier for disease spirits to cross over. Not something either side is found of (for the human, obvious reasons, for the spirit, more competition, and less fires: How many homeless people who would be easy prey for diseases have set fires to warm themselves up?).

No... they just gnaw down the gauntlet. Unless you've house ruled things. (Pg. 240, "Gnaw Gauntlet" each hour spent gnawing the gauntlet reduces the penalty to cross over, or peek across the gauntlet.

Besides, he wasn't confident enough in his powers yet to take an Azlu, who, may I remind you, have beaten entire packs of Urathra singlehandedly. Not a beastie who a relative newbie wants to take on, advantageous to his spirit as it might be.

This is also something predators can help on. Azlu come in a large variety of strengths, but its only when they reach Azarath form that they are of real danger to packs.

The one given in the book is an Azerath. The other form however, is much more manageable. Luthalzu basically are only about the size of tarantulas, and they crawl into the brain and zombify humans. But still are intelligent. And still spinning webs.

I just think it would be more cool mixing fire and webs, than fire and rats.

Yesterday, this place was a locus. A particularly rich source of fire energy, since it was the hollowed out remains of an appartment building, after a horrible fire. But today, something is horribly wrong. A bloated corpse, with a grossly swollen head, is standing at the centre of a hollowed out apartment building, and its covered in spiders. Occasionally it takes one of the spiders crawling on it, and pops it into its mouth. The bulge in its head starts moving and shaking, as the corpse shudders involuntary. All around are gigantic webs, that radiate wrongness. Especially to your half spirit nature. You can't feel the reassuring touch of the spirit world, and you are in a state of near panic. You turn to run, when another corpse comes shambling into view. Its spotted you. Suddenly there is a mass of activity, and thousands and thousands of spiders come pouring out of the walls. So you cut lose in a torrent of fire, and the world disappears in a blaze. You come back to your senses in the centre of the fire, the blaze declining to a smoulder. And you feel great, with fire essence rushing through the area and the gauntlet thinned to its normal levels. However, at the corner of your vision you can see dark canine shapes appproaching. And you know what that means....

Except its not an origin story like you were making.

Rutee
2008-02-08, 08:14 PM
Have you thought of your Virtue yet?

TheOcean
2008-02-08, 08:20 PM
the shaerif don't like it....
rock casbah
rock casbah

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-09, 02:49 AM
ECS has the Inspired Human vessels for the Quori which would probably work well for most races on pages 290 - 291.

The Ghastly Visage from the Fiend Folio does something similar.

New race the Synad with their threefold minds (Maybe a variant split personality(s).

Permanent Magic Jar item (jewelry or weapon) possessed by the PC.

Leliel
2008-02-09, 11:19 AM
No... they just gnaw down the gauntlet. Unless you've house ruled things. (Pg. 240, "Gnaw Gauntlet" each hour spent gnawing the gauntlet reduces the penalty to cross over, or peek across the gauntlet.

Oh. My error.

This is also something predators can help on. Azlu come in a large variety of strengths, but its only when they reach Azarath form that they are of real danger to packs.

The one given in the book is an Azerath. The other form however, is much more manageable. Luthalzu basically are only about the size of tarantulas, and they crawl into the brain and zombify humans. But still are intelligent. And still spinning webs.

I just think it would be more cool mixing fire and webs, than fire and rats.

Yesterday, this place was a locus. A particularly rich source of fire energy, since it was the hollowed out remains of an appartment building, after a horrible fire. But today, something is horribly wrong. A bloated corpse, with a grossly swollen head, is standing at the centre of a hollowed out apartment building, and its covered in spiders. Occasionally it takes one of the spiders crawling on it, and pops it into its mouth. The bulge in its head starts moving and shaking, as the corpse shudders involuntary. All around are gigantic webs, that radiate wrongness. Especially to your half spirit nature. You can't feel the reassuring touch of the spirit world, and you are in a state of near panic. You turn to run, when another corpse comes shambling into view. Its spotted you. Suddenly there is a mass of activity, and thousands and thousands of spiders come pouring out of the walls. So you cut lose in a torrent of fire, and the world disappears in a blaze. You come back to your senses in the centre of the fire, the blaze declining to a smoulder. And you feel great, with fire essence rushing through the area and the gauntlet thinned to its normal levels. However, at the corner of your vision you can see dark canine shapes appproaching. And you know what that means....

Except its not an origin story like you were making.

You know, that has really good potential. I'll keep it in mind.

As for a virtue, I'm leaning towards Charity.

Rutee
2008-02-09, 01:15 PM
Hm, also fun. One other idea, for the fun little dichotomy, might be Prudence, since that preaches caution and careful consideration, while you have an Id that compels rash action and capriciousness. But it's fun to be opposites..

Also, do people not know what nWoD means? >.>

The Glyphstone
2008-02-09, 02:56 PM
ECS has the Inspired Human vessels for the Quori which would probably work well for most races on pages 290 - 291.

The Ghastly Visage from the Fiend Folio does something similar.

New race the Synad with their threefold minds (Maybe a variant split personality(s).

Permanent Magic Jar item (jewelry or weapon) possessed by the PC.
^did not read the thread.

NWoD isn't D&D, and uses different rules...I'm not familiar with the setting, but it seems like a cool character concept anyways.