PDA

View Full Version : Bolas and Nets. The ones we forgets (REACH)

Orzel
2008-02-06, 08:51 PM
Feats

Net Beat [General]
You have learned how to effectively beat foes with your net.
Prerequisites: STR 13, Proficiency with net, spiked chain, or whip
Benefits: You may attack with your net as if it were a whip of your size. Unlike a whip, the net deals bludgeoning damage and deals damage to any creature regardless of armor when used this way. Also you cannot apply Weapon Finesse to net attacks.
You may attack with your net as if it were a spiked chain of your size. Unlike a spiked chain, the net deals bludgeoning damage when used this way.
Normal: You can't attack with nets
Special: A fighter may select Net Beat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Bola Disarm [General]
You can disarm a foe from a distance with a set of bolas.
Prerequisites:Dex 15, Point Blank Shot, Proficiency with bolas
Benefits: You can make a disarm attempt with a set of bolas.
Normal: You can use bolas to make a ranged trip attack against an opponent
Special: A fighter may select Bola Disarm as one of his fighter bonus feats.
When using this feat, a character gains no bonus attack from the Improved Disarm feat.

Weapon Enhancements

Snaring
Only bolas can have the snaring ability. On a successful hit, the target is entangled and lifted 10 feet into the air. After 6 seconds (the end of the target’s next turn) the target falls to the ground and is released from entangled on impact.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, snare; Price +1 bonus.

Stunning
Only nets can have the stunning ability. On a successful hit, the target is dealt 1 electricity damage. On the beginning of each or their turns, a creature entangled by the net has a 25% chance of being stunned for 1 turn.

Moderate enchantment; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, hold animal; Price +1 bonus.

PEACH and Use

Caracol
2008-02-07, 12:57 PM
Bolas Disarm is really nice, good for ranged-styles.

I don't understand Net Beat. First, net it's not a damaging weapon. Second, what means "regardless of armor"?
Net could be used to entagle an enemy. And weapon finesse should be allowed, since is not a Str based weapon.

RS14
2008-02-07, 04:33 PM
I like the idea, as I wish these got more use.

Caracol, I think Net Bash allows you to deal damage as a whip (1d3).
The problem is that it requires three feats (two for bards) to be able to use a net as a generally weak weapon. How about proficiency in either nets or whips? What about allowing the player to deal damage and entangle their opponent if they hit while using it as a whip?

I think Bola Disarm is good, however I see no reason to limit it to 30ft. Trip has no such limit; just apply the range malus to the opposed attack roll.
Bolas should be considered light weapons for the purposes of the disarm check, but I see no reason to take away the Improved Disarm bonus. This is what it's here for, after all.

How does Snaring apply to (cross)bows? Throwing Axes? Etc. Why not just restrict it to bolas and nets?

It seems like stunning will lose effectiveness quickly as the characters gain levels. How about you make it more like Vorpal; it acts only on a critical hit (on your touch attack) and for one round? Creatures resistant to electricity are not affected.

Orzel
2008-02-08, 04:59 AM
made a few changes

Net Beat is easier and stronger
Bola Disarm and stunning got boosts
And Snaring lost its restriction