PDA

View Full Version : exotic weapons for low levels

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 09:44 PM
what do you think is the best exotic weapon someone can use?
in general, no specific class maybe cleric.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-02-06, 09:51 PM
Dwarves proficient with martial weapons can wield Dwarven Waraxe and Dwarven Urgosh as martial weapons, which makes them accessable at low levels. Also, any character proficient in all martial weapons can wield bastard swords two-handed.

Zincorium
2008-02-06, 09:54 PM
Most exotic weapons aren't worth it, spiked chain is the only one I can honestly recommend as being worth a feat. And that only for feat intensive battlefield control builds.

Bastard swords and dwarven waraxes are worth it if you take a dip into exotic weapon master to get uncanny blow.

For a cleric, stick to your mace, it'll see you through the day and then some.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 09:56 PM
spiked chain?
that sounds goods
my race is a lumi, sorry i don't know that spoiler thing
so i get a bonus feat plus my cleric feat.
is there anyway i can make that work?

Icewalker
2008-02-06, 10:00 PM
Sugliin, from Frostburn...at least, if you want a 2 handed. It does 2d8 damage, and until level 6+ for a full BAB class it has no downside other than being less accessible being an exotic weapon.

The disadvantage is that you can't make multiple attacks in a round, but you can't do that until +6/+1 anyways.

Voyager_I
2008-02-06, 10:10 PM
EWP isn't generally worth it unless you're specifically interested in a Spiked Chain trip-monkey. On average, it's one point of extra damage per swing. That's underwhelming at First Level, and it only gets worse as you progress.

As a Cleric, it's doubly not worth it. Every feat is precious, and your Mace hits plenty hard.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 10:15 PM
sugliin? how much does that cost? and is it worth the feat for it?

RTGoodman
2008-02-06, 10:16 PM
The disadvantage is that you can't make multiple attacks in a round, but you can't do that until +6/+1 anyways.

Well, you can if you take the Sugliin Mastery feat. Sure, it might be two feats just to use it to its full advantage, but it's basically a freakin' tree with horns and bones tied on.

(For added fun - Goliath Pouncing Barbarian 1/Fighter X with a large (3d8!) sugliin, the two sugliin feats and the standard PA, LA, and Shock Trooper super-charging combo.)

Anyway, a bastard sword is decent since you can use it two-handed for extra damage or one-handed with a shield if you need a little extra AC. If you're a Dwarf, the dwarven waraxe is the same way.

If you're looking for a melee Cleric, you might want to get the War domain, so that way you'll get EWP and WF with whichever exotic weapon your deity (or "philosophy") prefers.

EDIT: Info on the Sugliin is in Frostburn, but you can check it out here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all) too. (Scroll down to find it.)

Deepblue706
2008-02-06, 10:18 PM
EWP can be a neat feat if you go into Exotic Weapon Master - however, I admit it's only really useful if you decide to go with a Greatbow, Spiked Chain, or Bastard Sword. Uncanny Blow grants 2x your strength modifier for two-handing a one-handed exotic weapon you've chosen, which means at higher levels (where you have more strength) you're doing better than that chump who picked up a greatsword.

I personally like EWP: Heavy Poleaxe. It's a greatsword with reach! Hoo ha!

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 10:19 PM
im a lumi class from monster manual
2 feats you said?

Voyager_I
2008-02-06, 10:19 PM
That's still not worth it. It's a Greatsword, except it averages 9 damage per hit instead of 7. Better than, say, taking a feat to go from Longsword to Bastard Sword, but still not worth the expenditure of a feat.

Remember, feats are a precious and very finite resource. +2 to damage is trivial by comparison. If you'll eventually be getting iterative attacks, then it outright weakens you in the long run. Don't do it.

Also, try going to the Wizards forums. Search their Character Optimization board, you'll probably be horrified at what you can do with your Cleric.

freetobeuandme
2008-02-06, 10:36 PM
@ voyager 1
when i choose corellon latherin or kord as my deity, i can choose war as a characterist and get free an ewp on anything i want that i can handle
i thinks it be worth it, but thanks for the wizards tip

Zincorium
2008-02-06, 10:49 PM
When you choose the war domain, you generally get the favored weapon proficiency of the dieties' favored weapon as a martial weapon proficiency.

Corellon's would be longsword.

Kord would be greatsword, but he doesn't give out the war domain.

If this is all houseruled by your DM, then (in order of awesomeness) go for a Greathorn Warhammer if you've got monster manual 4, Elven Courtsword if you've got Races of the wild and want to worship Corellon, Greatspear if you've got complete warrior, and spiked chain if you have none of the above.

Worira
2008-02-06, 10:50 PM
Eh? War domain doesn't give EWP, it gives "Free Martial Weapon Proficiency with deity’s favored weapon (if necessary) and Weapon Focus with the deity’s favored weapon."

Hal
2008-02-06, 11:00 PM
Speaking of Frostburn weapons, I don't get the ritiik. Particularly, I don't get the whole "twisting the hook into someone" thing. I don't think it's explained very well. Anyone wanna take a stab?

RTGoodman
2008-02-06, 11:03 PM
Eh? War domain doesn't give EWP, it gives "Free Martial Weapon Proficiency with deity’s favored weapon (if necessary) and Weapon Focus with the deity’s favored weapon."

Huh, guess you're right - I thought it just gave "proficiency" with the favored weapon. Maybe there was an FAQ or errata that said something about it, and that's what I'm thinking of...

wumpus
2008-02-06, 11:26 PM
Anyone ever try EWP huge rapier? This would be for higher levels than the OP wanted, but it looks interesting.

The two advantages of a rapier are that it can act either as a light or heavy weapon and that it has a greater range of criticals than most.

Of course, if you want a two hander, this won't help at all ... unless you go for a large (1.5 hand) or huge (2.0 hand?) rapier. Take the feat for proficiency weapon (not monkey grip, this should be usable without a feat) and grab all those extra crits.

With expanded critical, you should be doing criticals 10% more often, thus 10% more damage. Not a whole lot, but upping the crits is much more similar to extra attacks than adding a few extra points of damage.

Zincorium
2008-02-06, 11:35 PM
Anyone ever try EWP huge rapier?

Last I checked, that's not even an exotic weapon proficiency, it's just the wrong size.

Now...there are exotic weapon proficiencies for weapons which have the same stats as a huge rapier, the Jhovar from one of the planar books and the great scimitar from sandstorm. But whether they're worth a feat is kind of questionable. It's just damage, and taking weapon focus with a more common weapon and then power attacking for one more than usual accomplishes the same thing without forcing you to order specially made magic items.

Person_Man
2008-02-07, 01:06 PM
As others have mentioned, most exotic weapons just aren't worth it. Spending a feat to get a few extra points of average damage is just a huge waste.

Notable exceptions, all of which require particular builds to be useful:

Net: PHB: Ranged touch attack to partially entangle enemy, imposing -2 to attack, -4 to Dex, 1/2 movement speed, the inability to Charge or run, and the ability to control how far away they move from you. Although its pretty easy to get out of it by attacking it, it takes an action to do so. Works well with debuff and Fear builds.

Flindbar: MM3: Free disarm check when you threaten a crit (17-20 with Keen, Improved Crit, etc). Not great. But I know a ton of people who love Disarm for some reason, and this allows you to do so without having to spend an action.

Dragonchain: Red Hand of Doom: Gives you 1d8+1.5*Str Constriction damage on a successful Grapple check, which is added on top of your normal unarmed Grapple damage. Combine with Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm, free grapple check whenever you hit an enemy).

Lajatang: Comp Warrior: The only exotic double special monk weapon in existence. Used for very specific builds (Monk/Disciple of the Eye/Exotic Weapon Master, for example).

Longstaff: Comp Adv: If you use this weapon with Combat Expertise or Fighting Defensively, you can't be flanked. Helpful if you're in a small party and your DM is fond of mobbing you, if you fight Rogues a lot, etc.

Harpoon: Frostburn: Sticks in enemy. If its pulled out, it does the same damage it did going in. Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade.

Skiprock: Races of the Wild: Thrown weapon. If initial hit is successful, the Skiprock can ricochet and attack a second target within 5’ of the first. Another Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade option.

Amiria
2008-02-07, 01:25 PM
... addendum ... :smallwink:

Dwarven Warpike: Races of Stone: Reach weapon, trip, set against charge, two damage types (P/S), 2d6 base damage and x3 crit multiplier. Don't worry that you can't attack adjactent enemies with it. Improved Trip and/or Stand Still should keep them at bay.

cupkeyk
2008-02-07, 01:34 PM
I like the Elven Court Blade (with a wand compartment from dungeonscape) because a swashbuckler can finesse and PA it for double the benefits with just 13 STR and maxxed out dex and INT. Add the skill trick acrobatic Strike and umd a wraithstrike for a sure hit full power attack. Of course you can do that with a spiked chain too. -_-

Overlard
2008-02-07, 02:30 PM
I like the Elven Court Blade (with a wand compartment from dungeonscape) because a swashbuckler can finesse and PA it for double the benefits with just 13 STR and maxxed out dex and INT. Add the skill trick acrobatic Strike and umd a wraithstrike for a sure hit full power attack. Of course you can do that with a spiked chain too. -_-
I'm a courtblade fan too. It let's a finessing fighter get some good use out of power attack too (my rogue had Dex 22, Str 14. The courtblade made it worth going a non-TWF route).

The spiked chain can do that and more, but if you turn up with a spiked chain user with my group, eyes are gonna roll...

cupkeyk
2008-02-07, 04:18 PM
I'm a courtblade fan too. It let's a finessing fighter get some good use out of power attack too (my rogue had Dex 22, Str 14. The courtblade made it worth going a non-TWF route).

The spiked chain can do that and more, but if you turn up with a spiked chain user with my group, eyes are gonna roll...

Oh i still twf using courtblades with unarmed strikes and snapkicks. ^_^ lotsa cinematics for my swashbuckler too. Noth courtblades and unarmed strikes are finessable and PA applicable.