PDA

View Full Version : Grafts in antimagic?

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 10:08 PM
Do grafts function in antimagic fields? If they do what are some good grafts for fighter types, I only have Serpent Kingdoms. Help is much appreciated

Lemur
2008-02-06, 11:07 PM
Grafts as in Undead grafts, Yuan-ti grafts, etc? Libris Mortis states that grafts are not magic items, although they may function similar to them in terms of game mechanics. Most importantly, it states that once in place, grafts do not radiate magic energy, nor does it have a caster level. This would point to that grafts are not in themselves magical, even if magic is used in their creation. An analogy might be the fact that skeletons are created with magic, but still function normally in an antimagic field, and can't just be dispelled.

That said, what grafts are good? I have no idea, I never really looked (I'm only somewhat familiar with the grafts from LM, I'm not even sure what other books grafts appear in at the moment). I would imagine that a strength boosting graft would be nice, since it's a much cheaper way of getting an inherent bonus than manuals. So something like an Enervating Arm or Weakening Arm (or pretty much any graft that gives a +4 inherent bonus to strength) would be decent in my estimation.

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-06, 11:17 PM
Graft's can be good if you can get them for free (and you can get all the Fiendish Grafts for free/cheap as hell).

As to the OP, I've ruled non magical for my games but you should ask your DM.

Cuddly
2008-02-06, 11:22 PM
Are there any good grafts for casters?

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 11:24 PM
Not in Serpent Kingdoms. I seem to remember there being a frightful prescence graft somewhere which would get rid of pesky melee-ers

sonofzeal
2008-02-06, 11:41 PM
There's some awesome grafts, depending on what you're going for. One of my favorites is "Buffeting Fist" Air Elemental graft, from Magic of Eberron. Acts like Deflect Arrows, except it can deflect up to Dex+1 arrows per turn, and doesn't require two feats. Also grants a fairly solid area Bull Rush ability.

Question though: how do grafts interact with Vow of Poverty? Can a character with grafts take VoP? Can a char who already has VoP acquire more grafts?

SilentNight
2008-02-06, 11:50 PM
There's some awesome grafts, depending on what you're going for. One of my favorites is "Buffeting Fist" Air Elemental graft, from Magic of Eberron. Acts like Deflect Arrows, except it can deflect up to Dex+1 arrows per turn, and doesn't require two feats. Also grants a fairly solid area Bull Rush ability.

Question though: how do grafts interact with Vow of Poverty? Can a character with grafts take VoP? Can a char who already has VoP acquire more grafts?
What's the price on that?

On VoP, this came up in the Sage advice column in Dragon Magazine. The sage said that grafts should be counted as possesions to avoid abusing the rules of the vow.

sonofzeal
2008-02-06, 11:55 PM
What's the price on that?

On VoP, this came up in the Sage advice column in Dragon Magazine. The sage said that grafts should be counted as possesions to avoid abusing the rules of the vow.
13,000 gp. You also lose 4 hp permanently when you get it (ooo). The Bull Rush is pretty hardcore though, and the Deflect Arrows bit is horribly broken for that price.

Also, good to know.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-08, 07:57 AM
Grafts from Races of the Dragon and anything to do with Eberron tend to be much worse than those before(Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, Fiend Folio), requiring a permanent sacrifice of HP(and/or Con I think), and limiting you to only 1 "type"(ie, only Draconic, only Plant, etc.).

I vaguely remember that there was a Yuan-Ti Graft called Additional Tail. Strictly speaking, since it doesn't replace anything, you could have more than one, and use them to Grapple 1 smaller opponent each...:smallamused: