PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge (Everything)

Mee
2008-02-06, 10:50 PM
Yes, I realize the name sounds like a great cheat, but just wait.

Feat (general)
Prerecs: Knowledge (A) 15+ ranks
Knowledge (B) 10+ ranks
Knowledge (C) 10+ ranks
Int 18
Character level 21+

This feat, when taken, changes the Knowledge (A) into Knowledge (Everything), add all the skill points together, and subtract 20. The Knowledge (Everything) turns into a class skill, and can be used for anything from geography to the migrating habits of the dodo bird.

Comments?

Szilard
2008-02-06, 10:52 PM
Interesting, sounds like me in real life.

Icewalker
2008-02-06, 10:54 PM
Huh...interesting. Certainly useful and I'd say balanced if there haven't been any other homebrew applications for the Knowledge skill, like Rich Burlew's bonus to check deal.

FlyMolo
2008-02-06, 10:55 PM

Feat (general)
Prerecs: Knowledge (A) 15 ranks
Knowledge (B) 10 ranks
Knowledge (C) 10 ranks
Int 18

This feat, when taken, changes the Knowledge (A) into Knowledge (Everything), utterly destroying the other 20 skill points. The Knowledge (Everything) turns into a class skill, and can be used for anything from geography to the migrating habits of the dodo bird.

Comments?

Unless you have something which grants small bonuses upon a successful knowledge check, this will be ignored by everyone who wants more power. I would totally take it, though. It's awesome.

Mee
2008-02-06, 10:58 PM
Well, there's also a Craft (Anything) that works about the same way, I've just had player crafting +20 long swords, so I've been working on that one.

Fizban
2008-02-07, 03:54 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me, but hey. I could see granting a bardic knowledge ability with a feat though, that's kind of like knowledge everything.

In a different vein, someone posted a Tenacious Scholar feat that worked like Versatile Performer, but for knowledge, allowing you to use a few more knowledge skills at the same number of ranks as the main one. He used a strict number instead of variable, but what about just copying the performer:

Versatile Scholar
Prerequisites: Knowledge (Any) 5 ranks.
Benefit: Pick a number of KNowledge categories equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum 1). For the purpose of making Knoledge checks, you are treated as having a number of ranks in those skills equal to the highest number of ranks you have in any Knowledge category. You cannot change these categories once you have picked them, but your score in them automatically increases if you later add additional ranks in your highest-ranked Knowledge category. You gain new categories of your choice if your Intelligence bonus permanently increases.
In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge checks where more than one type of knowledge is applicable, if you effective ranks in both skills are as high as those provided by this feat. In such cases, add the bonus to the higher of your two Knowledge skill modifiers.

It didn't get much feedback in the other guy's thread (link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71504), incidentally), but I liked the idea. It fits this thread though, knowledge (more) at any rate.

Fiery Diamond
2008-02-07, 08:28 AM
Terrific.
I like it.

-Fiery Diamond

Naga-Darmag
2008-02-09, 02:17 PM
Versatile Crafter
Prerequisites: Craft (Any) 5 ranks.
Benefit: Pick a number of craft categories equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum 1). For the purpose of making craft checks, you are treated as having a number of ranks in those skills equal to the highest number of ranks you have in any craft category. You cannot change these categories once you have picked them, but your score in them automatically increases if you later add additional ranks in your highest-ranked craft category. You gain new categories of your choice if your Intelligence bonus permanently increases.
In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on craft checks where more than one type of craft is applicable. In such cases, add the bonus to the higher of your two craft skill modifiers.

Versatile Entrepreneur
Prerequisites: Profession (Any) 5 ranks.
Benefit: Pick a number of profession categories equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum 1). For the purpose of making profession checks, you are treated as having a number of ranks in those skills equal to the highest number of ranks you have in any profession category. You cannot change these categories once you have picked them, but your score in them automatically increases if you later add additional ranks in your highest-ranked profession category. You gain new categories of your choice if your Intelligence bonus permanently increases.
In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on profession checks where more than one type of profession is applicable. In such cases, add the bonus to the higher of your two profession skill modifiers.

Don’t se the point of the ”if you effective ranks in both skills are as high as those provided by this feat” part. That’s not a part of the Versatile performer feat is it?

Mee
2008-02-09, 08:33 PM
Oh, I can honestly say that I didn't know about those. :smalltongue:

oops.

brian c
2008-02-09, 11:44 PM
Versatile Entrepreneur
Prerequisites: Profession (Any) 5 ranks.
Benefit: Pick a number of profession categories equal to your Intelligence bonus (minimum 1). For the purpose of making profession checks, you are treated as having a number of ranks in those skills equal to the highest number of ranks you have in any profession category. You cannot change these categories once you have picked them, but your score in them automatically increases if you later add additional ranks in your highest-ranked profession category. You gain new categories of your choice if your Intelligence bonus permanently increases.
In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on profession checks where more than one type of profession is applicable. In such cases, add the bonus to the higher of your two profession skill modifiers.

Has anyone in the history of D&D ever taken Profession, other than as a pre-req or for character flavor? Rephrasing, has anyone ever actually rolled for a Profession check? The only thing I can think of ever using that for on a regular basis is Profession(Sailor) for a naval campaign. That's a nice feat and all, it fits the formula you're working with, I'm just saying that I can't imagine anyone ever taking it.

Naga-Darmag
2008-02-10, 06:44 AM
Other than character fluff, no, not to many. But it can be useful for a spy, chameleon, factotum or any other character that’s supposed to be diverse or poses as different professions. Mostly it’s for getting that extra pees of fluff you want but cant afford skillpoint wise, if you are not to much of a power gamer.

Roderick_BR
2008-02-10, 10:46 AM
hah, that's cool. I heard some games have a similar way of granting a character a way of knowing everything, just because he is a scientist (Reed Richards anyone)? It would fall under the "hollywood-ish ability" category.
Hmm.. if it were an epic feat, it would fit perfectly for bards and wizards.

Vaynor
2008-02-10, 11:56 AM
Has anyone in the history of D&D ever taken Profession, other than as a pre-req or for character flavor? Rephrasing, has anyone ever actually rolled for a Profession check? The only thing I can think of ever using that for on a regular basis is Profession(Sailor) for a naval campaign. That's a nice feat and all, it fits the formula you're working with, I'm just saying that I can't imagine anyone ever taking it.

Yes, I once did a game where my characters were a small family, living in a peaceful town (until werewolves attack!), so I had to make money from profession checks.

Yahzi
2008-02-10, 12:47 PM
Isn't that just Bardic Lore?

Player: "Have I ever heard a legend about <insert random fact>?"

DM: Roll a d20.

Mee
2008-02-10, 03:21 PM
Isn't that just Bardic Lore?

Player: "Have I ever heard a legend about <insert random fact>?"

DM: Roll a d20.

Well, I can also say, I've never had to DM for a bard, and haven't really looked into them that much, this is just an idea I had, I thought it sounded good, so I went for it, typed it up, tried it a bit, and put it up here to see what you guys thought of it.

That's all, I thought it was cool. :smalltongue:

Deepblue706
2008-02-10, 03:29 PM
Mechanically, not too powerful - but concept-wise, this seems very epic to me.

Raroy
2008-02-10, 03:36 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to use this for performing too. Have a feat called Master Performer and have it work the same way except you would be able to play any instrument. Is that overpowered?

Deepblue706
2008-02-10, 03:38 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to use this for performing too. Have a feat called Master Performer and have it work the same way except you would be able to play any instrument. Is that overpowered?

Arguably. If you have sound-recording equipment, you could easily put out records without having to hire other musicians, go platinum, and probably have well-over standard WBL.

Mee
2008-02-10, 03:53 PM
Mechanically, not too powerful - but concept-wise, this seems very epic to me.

I could easily make that one of the pre-recs.
EDIT: There, that should do it.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-10, 09:58 PM
This is cool but trumped by bardic knowledge.

Mee
2008-02-11, 10:49 PM
This is cool but trumped by bardic knowledge.

Unless you don't have a bard. :smalltongue: