PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and Metamagic

Phased Weasel
2008-02-07, 09:21 AM
I know wizards can apply more than one metamagic feat to a spell. I know spontaneous casters increase the casting time when applying a metamagic feat.

My question is: how long does it take for a sorcerer to cast a (normally 1 standard action) spell with two metamagic feats on it? 1 full round or 2?

My thoughts were: the spell is 1 action to cast. Apply a metamagic feat, and it becomes a 1 full round cast. Apply a second, and it adds on another full round.

Nebo_
2008-02-07, 09:29 AM
A spell with metamagic takes a full round action to cast. It doesn't matter how much metamagic is on it.

Phased Weasel
2008-02-07, 09:40 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, and was hoping. However the interaction between spontaneous, metamagic and some action point uses is pretty strong and I wanted to check.

Crow
2008-02-07, 12:13 PM
A Sorcerer who casts Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic), can cast them in a standard action.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-02-07, 12:32 PM
Even better; there is a variant where the Sorc would give up their familiar for the ability to cast metamagic spells without increasing the casting time. No feat or extra spells needed. I believe it is in PHBII ; I could be wrong though.

Douglas
2008-02-07, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but that variant has limited uses per day. If you take the Rapid Metamagic feat from Complete Mage (level 9 minimum due to skill ranks prereq) you can do it all day long.

Kantolin
2008-02-07, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but that variant has limited uses per day.

The PHB2 variant does not have limited uses per day - you simply have to give up your familiar.

Edit: Proven incorrect. It does indeed have limited uses per day.

Reinboom
2008-02-07, 01:47 PM
The PHB2 variant does not have limited uses per day - you simply have to give up your familiar.

Yes it does. It's limited to 3 + int modifier.
Look on the 2nd column on page 61, the variant was split up for some silly reason.

Kantolin
2008-02-07, 01:49 PM
Ahh. I stand corrected indeed. Huh, I never noticed that.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-07, 01:54 PM
Yeah, but that variant has limited uses per day. If you take the Rapid Metamagic feat from Complete Mage (level 9 minimum due to skill ranks prereq) you can do it all day long.

Doesn't Rapid Metamagic only apply to one metamagic feat at a time?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-07, 01:56 PM

No, there is not any such restriction. :smallsmile:

marjan
2008-02-07, 02:02 PM

Accelerated Metamagic from RoDr has such restriction. You're probably confusing it with this one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-02-07, 02:10 PM
Accelerated Metamagic from RoDr has such restriction. You're probably confusing it with this one.

The evolution of metamagic options for sorcerers is a good example of power creep/balancing over time.