PDA

View Full Version : Ability question

Bellmaethorion
2008-02-07, 10:47 AM
I'm currently working on a Homebrew Caster-Class, I'd like to give this class the ability to sense the aura's of other people, like a detect good/evil/law/chaos spell, sort of, only, able to detect all of them.
At what level should the class get this ability? or is it somehow overpowering, and should I add a certain time/level to it?

Caracol
2008-02-07, 11:10 AM
Make this ability progressive. At 1st level they can choose to detect one kind of aura, and it's up to the player to choose which one among chaos, evil... At following level he can choose another kind of aura, until he's able to detect any of them.

Riva
2008-02-07, 05:30 PM
I like the progression idea, but I wouldn't stretch it out for all twenty. Maybe the first eight. Even then, it doesn't seem very overpowered to me ( I could be dead wrong) so long as your Pc remembers that somone being evil isn't really a reason to kill them outright. unless, in that kingdom it is. in which case happy head slicin'!

If the class is going to be based around this idea it would be smart to allow early access to those spells. Maybe give extra spell slots that must be filled with a detect spell of some sort, so that the PC can pick and choose day to day what they want to detect?

Alternatively, give them the ability to see all alignments at first level, all the time. Make the class, then post it here. It'll be easier to fine tune with a total product.

HKJones
2008-02-08, 02:40 AM
I think one way to do it would be to grant said ability as early as 1st or 2nd level at will but give it a chance of failure. Say....
d20 + Class level + primary spell casting modifier against a DC of the other persons hit dice + their Cha modifier. This roll would be made in secret of coarse.

This way they get a nifty ability they can use all day but you can avoid a PC using it and shouting OMG DON'T TRUST HIM, HES LAWFUL EEEEEEVIL.

(Besides all the best villains have good Cha scores anyway...)

Bellmaethorion
2008-02-08, 07:46 AM
I've decided to make it into the basis for a class(it was going to be a nifty extra thing for a different class, but I actually liked it so much, I'll make a whole class of it) however, I'll be working on the other class first, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it.
When I do however, I'll of course post it here.

And that's a nice idea, HKJones, I'll probably be using something like that...:smallbiggrin: